Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ROFL, you could move here and you wouldn't have to change this a bit. The largest city near here got funding for one of those hovercraft a few years back. They used it a few times but then I guess it ended up in storage due to lack of training. They ended up auctioning it off, huge waste of money.

Besides that we have really large contingent of volunteer FF's in this area, nearly all fire departments are volunteers. One or two of them have certified dive teams and their own boats.

----edit-----

Here's news article, they had it for five years. Cost $30K and sold it for $12K after very little use:
"Pretty cool toy". Jeez it just makes you shake your dam head don't it. Sad thing is this is happening all over the country with DHS funding. They get so much they don't know what to do with it. Hell they probably take the thing fishing on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Its happened here, and in several other places. Cutting out local police departments, and only having the county police around.

I see this as a good thing, I can defend myself.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I see this as a good thing...
I don't necessarily see it as a good thing, when I was young you knew all the cops, they lived in the community and most made a career out of it. Between the time I was maybe 10 and 20 they were all the same. They didn't even have to chase you, no point running when they could just go to your house and speak with Mom on a first name basis.

If you got caught doing something wrong the courts rarely got involved and it was handled by the police themselves with your parents. That's changed too, it's still local but it's like a revolving door and the cops may not live in the community.

Having said that it doesn't make economic sense, its a shame to lose that home town type feel but the costs of maintaining these small police forces is just too much.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't necessarily see it as a good thing, when I was young you knew all the cops, they lived in the community and most made a career out of it. Between the time I was maybe 10 and 20 they were all the same. They didn't even have to chase you, no point running when they could just go to your house and speak with Mom on a first name basis.

If you got caught doing something wrong the courts rarely got involved and it was handled by the police themselves with your parents. That's changed too, it's still local but it's like a revolving door and the cops may not live in the community.

Having said that it doesn't make economic sense, its a shame to lose that home town type feel but the costs of maintaining these small police forces is just too much.
I grew up in a similar community.

The problem with local law enforcement today is that, in many cities, they are viewed as revenue production machines. The more tickets, the more citations, the more everything they do the more money comes into the city. And then the police officers have to justify their existence by writing more tickets, which leads to more people not respecting them.

I want what you and I used to enjoy, a small town that doesn't have many police. Police that use good common sense instead of writing up little old ladies for driving 4mph over the speed limit (and yes, I've seen that personally). The judge threw that case out, but she still had to pay court costs.

Law enforcement is simply another tax.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
IMHO our veterans think clearly
The rest of us at home are under a giant "reeducation camp" program focused on our young
For what it is worth making people hide in a room during a home invasion and outlawing the video of cops violating the law are good examples
Of brainwash
You can add, declaring a whistle blower a fugative and traitor, to the list

Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
One down, several thousand to go. Can we speed things up some so us citizens can live in peace?
Half Moon Bay is an interesting one and what happened to that towns finances had far less to do with the police department than Moonbats controlling city council.

Half Moon Bay grapples with $36.8 million judgment against it - SFGate

Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Meanwhile, Obama is bringing in thousands of Central American nations' social problems every day.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:57 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Oh no! those poor people wont have any cops around to prey on them.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:05 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The article starts off with a small town in Texas but goes on to list other small towns across the US where the police dept has been furloughed or disbanded.

Residents of Alto, Texas, Brace for Crime Spike After City Furloughs Police Force - WSJ.com
City Council members sent the police home when they decided they couldn't afford them.
Half Moon Bay, Calif., is now patrolled by the San Mateo Sheriff's Office after city government earlier this month dissolved the local department to save more than $500,000 a year. Nazareth Borough, Pa., is negotiating a contract for public-safety services with a regional force. In Wenonah, N.J., voters will decide in November whether to eliminate its seven-officer force and have another municipality assume its policing."
CAFR breakdowns should be looked at here. Much can be moved around. This looks more like a guise to regionalize police. Just a different corporate structure. Different accountability. Expect more of this. Utah apparently already privatized the Sheriff's department. Health care districts apparently also fall under such districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Not necessarily. Apparently in Utah, they have already been privatized. This is where it is all headed. PPP/NGO. Really just a different corporate structure. I would not be surprised to see Detroit used as the perfect poster boy for all of this. AG21 follows the same "blueprint". You see more emphasis on Districts (i.e special districts) and Regions.

The Sheriff Who Sold His County - Northwest Firearms

Should the Federal Government pay local Property Taxes

quote off of linked article:
“…We are moving towards a model that is much more efficient than a regular public entity.”

In this interview, our combative and obfuscating Sheriff, who has turned the power of the Sheriff’s Department over to a “Special Tax Financing District” – also called a “Special Service District” – inadvertently reveals his true colors and lets us know that our new corporate police force is actually a 3rd level of government – a district – that can bypass voter approval to raise revenue/fees (taxes) within its county council created boundaries (service area), and charge those fees with late charges to the homeowners property tax if this fee is not paid within a certain time period.
Looks to be happening elsewhere. Rural areas would seem the first targets.
Apparently, Josephine county has some interesting...

Old 06-14-2014, 01:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
We have no police near us.....it takes at least an hour to get a car out this way.....we watch things VERY close.

Just yesterday I have to go to an appointment about 35 miles away.....as I drove though some state land I saw a pick-up with a dog box and some dogs.....ready to hunt.

My husband was at a friends house....hours away....but, I call and ask if it was legal to hunt with dogs now.....he said no.

He got the GPS markers from me and called some friends near by......they blocked the truck until the DNR got there.....just the truck.....the three men could have walked away.

This system works well for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies