Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be removed?
Yes 85 44.04%
No 108 55.96%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:14 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No. It was God that this nation was founded under and made America an economic success and made it the world's superpower. If you don't believe me, ask China.

Christianity the reason for West's success, say the Chinese

But see, the Chinese government has been allowing Christian missionaries into their country for some time now and China now boast more than 80 million Christians. Our blessings have been going to them and see their rise as the economic powerhouse in the world and new superpower. We've been getting God out of our government and politics and schools while the Chinese have been doing the opposite and look at them now.
Gee, since the "Chinese" said so, it must be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think "We the people" is racist because it doesn't identify which race and implies it to be white... so I propose we say "We the black, white, asian, hispanic, native american, middle eastern, eskimo, ...... people"....
You realize "We the people" is not a phrase in the Pledge of Allegience don't you? I won't even address your obviously rediculous race-bating. I suspect it was an attempt at sarcasm given your posting history.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You realize "We the people" is not a phrase in the Pledge of Allegience don't you? I won't even address your obviously rediculous race-bating.
You have a problem with Pledge of Allegiance then I have a problem with the Constitution... are you saying that its okay to change one and not the other? After all, slavery was okay in the constitution until it was amended and the "we the people" obviously referred to white folk... race baiting? Yeah... that's what you liberals call it when you start losing an argument... I find it ironic that white people will say that a minority was race-baiting...

Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Since we are a nation of many different religions, we should change it to, "One nation under many gods."

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So it wouldn't bother you if we replaced "Under God" in the pledge with" Under the Big Green Giant living on Mars"?
I think it should be left as is.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think it should be left as is.
That didn't address my question. Again:

So it wouldn't bother you if we replaced "Under God" in the pledge with" Under the Big Green Giant living on Mars"?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,475 times
In times likes this, when America's Values are going out of the window..
This would be the worst time to remove those words...

Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
It's amazing to me how offensive some people find words which refer to spirituality or religion. To me, the situation is analogous to the argument sometimes used in reference to homosexuality: if you don't like it, don't practice it.

Same with the pledge: don't like it, don't say it. Big whoop.

(Personally, I feel the same way about the YMCA song. You won't catch me forming letters with my body in public anytime soon!)

Words won't hurt you. Paranoia will.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's amazing to me how offensive some people find words which refer to spirituality or religion. To me, the situation is analogous to the argument sometimes used in reference to homosexuality: if you don't like it, don't pracitce it.

Same with the pledge: don't like it, don't say it. Big whoop.

Words won't hurt you. Paranoia will.
So you also wouldn't mind if "Under God" were replaced with "Under Allah" or "Under No God" or "Under Ganesh" or "Under Odin" or "Under the Big Green Giant living on Mars" - right?

I mean, you could just not practice that belief, and you really wouldn't care if your elementary school age child felt pressured into saying it - right?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I do not believe we need to show a difference between us and the USSR any longer. why not go back to the original?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies