Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,062,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
We already know you think the poor/middle class should sacrafice by giving up some benefits to social programs such as social security, medicare, medicaid, pell grants, heating assistance, housing assistance, etc.

In what ways should the rich and corporate america contribute?
First of all, your initial premise is wrong, no one is saying we should give up SS, medicare, medicaid. We do need to ensure that the people who paid into SS and medicare receive their benefits, and we do need to take care of the immediate needs of the poor.

Secondly, its not the fault of the poor, the corporations or the well to do in this nation, that our government spent us into such a huge debtor situation.

Our government spends way too much, so wee need to cut back on all government programs, either by reform, consolidation, elimination or reduction in staff and especially the scope of control.

For example, a friend of mine had a 5 year old that has a slight learning disability, and was diagnosed as ADHD, and they are getting full blown social security and medicare payments for this kid, for the rest of his life. I'm sorry their son is behind in school with his peers, but why does he get these payments?

I'm sure there are tens of thousands, if not millions of other examples of where government programs are being ever expanded to cover as many people as possible. In a perfect world, that would be great, but this is not perfect, and we cannot afford it.

Maybe if we were not paying billions for corporate and political cronies, pet agendas projects and the like, then maybe we could afford payments to ADHD children. But we have come to ahead, and we cannot do this stuff any longer, so eat your peas.

0bama grew the number of federal employees by about 100,000, not counting temporary census workers, then he increased the size of the federal budget by about 18%. We have a lot of cutting and reform to do, if we can just get the big government loving politicians out of our way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,294,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Huh? That just goes right along with my point that that the top 1%'s share of the wealth was highest under DEMOCRAT CLINTON and declined under Bush. Seems the Republicans do a much better for the middle class than do Democrats, the rich man's pal. Look at how cozy Obama is with Goldman Sachs - you know the Wall Street bankster firm that made record profits and record bonuses under the Obama admin.
Actually it all started with the deregulation of the banks by the "gipper" and got progessively worst. From Bush 1 to Obama the same crooks that put the WORLD in this financial mess are still there (Greenspan,Summers ect) and even into Academia (Columbia Business School and Harvard).
verification? Check this out and get back with me
  1. [SIZE=3]Inside Job - Movie Website for the Documentary Film[/SIZE]
After Viewing this film please explain in any rational way to defend tax cuts for these @##$#@!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 AM

88,800 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actually it all started with the deregulation of the banks by the "gipper" and got progessively worst. From Bush 1 to Obama the same crooks that put the WORLD in this financial mess are still there (Greenspan,Summers ect) and even into Academia (Columbia Business School and Harvard). verification? Check this out and get back with me
  1. [SIZE=3]Inside Job - Movie Website for the Documentary Film[/SIZE]
After Viewing this film please explain in any rational way to defend tax cuts for these @##$#@!
So when do you all kick Obama out of office?

And I already talked about clawbacks on the guilty parties in the Federal Government and on Wall Street.

BUT that most certainly does NOT include everyone earning $250k and over. So, back off the hard-working upper-middle class, the job-providing small and medium business owners, and the profit-earning corporations that enrich their 401k and pension fund shareholders!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:50 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,100,061 times
I'll never figure out why working class middle americans "protect and worship" the wealthy class. Its not as though they give a flying fig for you, or are doing anything to make your life any better. Yet these middle class right wingers continue to pander and protect, and pout over making sure the wealthy don't have to pay taxes. Even at a Clinton level when they were all doing so very well. It makes no sense to me.....but the wealthy are very amused.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM

20,421 posts, read 12,341,203 times
has anyone yet provided detail on how corporations can pay taxes without passing that cost along to their customers?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM

608 posts, read 1,344,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
has anyone yet provided detail on how corporations can pay taxes without passing that cost along to their customers?
Taxes? What taxes? GE paid NO taxes, made a nice $15 billion profit last year.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,629,494 times
How about the rich and corporations hiring more people so that they can make even more money to handle and exceed the tax obligations that seem to be such an unbearable burden to them.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Please provide all the facts to substantiate your claim.

FYI,
"FORTUNE - There's a heated debate over General Electric's taxes in places ranging from the front page of the New York Times to the blogosphere to, of all places, The Daily Show. In the 10 days since the Times touched off this debate, what started out as something resembling a conversation has degenerated into posturing, name-calling, and shrieking.

"Did GE get a $3.2 billion tax refund? No. Did GE pay U.S. income taxes in 2010? Yes, it paid estimated taxes for 2010, and also made payments for previous years. Think of it as your having paid withholding taxes on your salary in 2010, and sending the IRS a check on April 15, 2010, covering your balance owed for 2009.
Will GE ultimately pay U.S. income taxes for 2010? After much to-ing and fro-ing -- the company says it hasn't completed its 2010 tax return -- GE now says that it will pay tax."

The truth about GE's tax bill - Fortune Features

And I am no fan of GE.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,916,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
And why did GE pay no taxes to the US? Because it takes advantage of silly "green energy" credits. Because the US Corporate tax rate is so high, it makes more sense for GE to keep huge chunks of it's income at it's foreign holding companies (over $9 billion of that $15billion you mention was actually overseas profit) and pay those foreign tax rates. And because in 2008 lobbyists for GE met with Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee Charlie Rangel and convinced him to change his position to one of support for a tax break that would have expired and resulted in GE paying a significant amount of taxes. A month later, GE & Charlie Rangel made a joint announcement at a park in Rangels Harlem Congressional district that GE's foundation was donating $30million to NYC Schools, $11 million of it to schools in Charlies district. For those of you who forget, this is the same Charlie Rangel who was censured by Congress last year for soliciting donations from companies as they had business in front of the W&M committee.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:28 PM

855 posts, read 1,170,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
I'll never figure out why working class middle americans "protect and worship" the wealthy class. Its not as though they give a flying fig for you, or are doing anything to make your life any better. Yet these middle class right wingers continue to pander and protect, and pout over making sure the wealthy don't have to pay taxes. Even at a Clinton level when they were all doing so very well. It makes no sense to me.....but the wealthy are very amused.

I don't get this either. folks need to stop waiting for those crumbs to trickle from the rich man's table. they're not trickling.

i have several relatives who make $1-2M per year. do you think they're using the money they save in tax breaks to employ people? no.

and those corporations who are getting record low tax breaks--are they employing people in overwhelming numbers? no. all those jobs are going to india and china where they can pay some scrub $5-20 a day to make products or field their customer service calls. what don't these people get????!

will my family get taxed more? YES. are we complaining? NO. we love this country too much to let it sink. in contrast, sometimes i feel like all these self-proclaimed "patriots" would much rather watch the USA burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies