Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Lol, yes that's because Memphisguy had just explained why you were wrong.

Specifically:

"I disagree with the bailouts of wall street, but it happened, it was bipartisan, and no one party has a claim on its ignorance.
To boot, your reading comprehension is lacking. I said Obama bailed wall street out, and the poster agreed with me, not refuted me. But don't let me stop you saying how smart you are. So you still have nothing.

Last edited by jkbatca; 06-29-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
The Obama Administration is looking to hitch to any post they think will pay them.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He isn't talking about corporate tax rates.

I disagree with the bailouts of wall street, but it happened, it was bipartisan, and no one party has a claim on its ignorance.

The reason the President is having to talk about closing tax loopholes and subsidies is because of 8 years of war that was unfunded. Remember, the budget was balanced until a Republican President and a Republican Congress were in power.
No you don't get it. If Obama quit giving money away, they would not worry about having to get more taxes. How much clearer can I get?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
No you don't get it. If Obama quit giving money away, they would not worry about having to get more taxes. How much clearer can I get?
1) Congress gives money away, not Obama.
2) The stimulus was nearly entirely loans, not giveaways.
3) Most of that has been repaid.
4) Many of the loans made a profit.

But that all said, the way the banks were rescued was horrific and an embarassment. As Krugman and many others said, it should have been done a la Sweden.

That these Wall St. firms are back at their old tricks with practically no useful new regulation or rules of the road, after having been bailed out, is disgusting and reprehensible. And asking for another financial crisis.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
1) Congress gives money away, not Obama.
2) The stimulus was nearly entirely loans, not giveaways.
3) Most of that has been repaid.
4) Many of the loans made a profit.

But that all said, the way the banks were rescued was horrific and an embarassment. As Krugman and many others said, it should have been done a la Sweden.

That these Wall St. firms are back at their old tricks with practically no useful new regulation or rules of the road, after having been bailed out, is disgusting and reprehensible. And asking for another financial crisis.
Strictly speaking that is true, although the President isn't a bystander in the process. He submits a budget to Congress. The process starts with him.

I'm not sure that Wall Street is up to their old tricks. In fact they ave been criticized for NOT lending money.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Strictly speaking that is true, although the President isn't a bystander in the process. He submits a budget to Congress. The process starts with him.

Good point. But when it came to the bailouts (an unusual case, to say the least), everyone was in it together. President, congressional Repubs and Democrats. Because the alternative was a complete freezeup of the financial system and layoffs in the many millions as companies weren't able to turn over commercial paper to make payroll.

In retrospect the right thing to do was what Christine Lagard pointed out, which is to remember that the financial system is there to serve the real productive economy, not to bleed it dry, as it did. And therefore, to put in rules of the road that keep it from doing so.

I'm not sure that Wall Street is up to their old tricks. In fact they ave been criticized for NOT lending money.
Well, "Wall St". typically refers to the investment banks, brokerages, private equity, etc, not the commercial banks.

I agree about the commercial banks though. They have been criticized for not lending, and I don't think it's really their fault. They're just businesses trying to navigate a difficult situation.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I heard what he said, and I agree, he did say mill and bill aires.

This article is a twist of what he did say and I lean Conservative.

I'm a Conservative and I didn't hear him mention 250,000

Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm a Conservative and I didn't hear him mention 250,000
LOL!!!...you're about to be labeled a RINO!!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
LOL!!!...you're about to be labeled a RINO!!
Exactly! Don't you DARE have an independent thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies