Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times

Advertisements

Could this guy be a bigger dope? Why does the left try and push the meme that this guy is smart, while savaging Bachmann? And they deny the have a misogyny problem!

Obama Calls People Earning $250,000 a Year ‘Jet Owners’ - The Wealth Report - WSJ

In his news conference today, the president said: “I think it’s only fair to ask an oil company or a corporate jet owner that’s doing so well to give up that tax break….I don’t think that’s real radical.”

"asking private-jet owners to give up tax breaks may not be that radical. And it probably would be supported by the vast majority of the nonjet-owning voters.

The problem is that most of the people that would be subject to the higher taxes the president wants aren’t likely to be private-jet owners.* Someone earning $250,000 a year–among those scheduled for a tax increase in 2012–is unlikely to afford a jet–or even a few charter trips on a jet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
i was debating whether or not to sign up for the WSJ the other day.

i'm glad i didn't, so i don't have to sort through sensationalist articles where the headline doesn't match the story. i can get that right here at P&OC, for free, on this very thread.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
Where did he call 250k/year people jet owners?

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Did you hear his speech at all? Or are you going to believe a blog?

In the speech, and I quote, he said "We aren't talking about raising taxes on everyone, just millionaires and billionaires. Those owning corporate jets...."

He didn't say anything about raising taxes on those making over 250,000, that was two years ago, and it failed. However, saying you want to raise taxes on millionaires is popular so far.

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Could this guy be a bigger dope? Why does the left try and push the meme that this guy is smart, while savaging Bachmann? And they deny the have a misogyny problem!

Obama Calls People Earning $250,000 a Year ‘Jet Owners’ - The Wealth Report - WSJ

In his news conference today, the president said: “I think it’s only fair to ask an oil company or a corporate jet owner that’s doing so well to give up that tax break….I don’t think that’s real radical.”

"asking private-jet owners to give up tax breaks may not be that radical. And it probably would be supported by the vast majority of the nonjet-owning voters.

The problem is that most of the people that would be subject to the higher taxes the president wants aren’t likely to be private-jet owners.* Someone earning $250,000 a year–among those scheduled for a tax increase in 2012–is unlikely to afford a jet–or even a few charter trips on a jet."

There is NO SUCH THING as a "corporate jet owner". If it is a CORPORATE jet then it is owned by the corportion and is an expense of the company. No one person can own a corporate asset.

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Actually, jet ownerships are usually fractional or used as a business expense so most of it is written off each year anyway. $250,000 a year is enough to be a fractional owner of a jet easily... Especially if it's a light jet like a cj2 or Beechjet400A.

I support getting rid of the tax break, even though I'm in the jet business.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

I thought the WSJ had a little bit of integrity, apparently not.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
My my, Rupert is driving the Wall St. Journal into the gutter along with his other properties.

Ah, no! Corporate jet owners are asking for a accelerated depreciation schedule rather than the schedule used by other commercial airliners.. That is a fact. By attempting to PRETEND, that this is part and parcel with the expiration of the Bush tax cuts is bull**** journalism at its best.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
Again, can someone point out where he called 250k/year income earners "jet owners"?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Again, can someone point out where he called 250k/year income earners "jet owners"?
He never said that.

The OP's blog post, which isn't factual, is putting together two different ideas.

The two year old plan to raise taxes on those making 250,000 a year, which has long since been abandoned,

and...

Todays speech when the President said he wanted to raise taxes on hedge fund managers and others making millions and billions, along with corporate jet owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies