Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You can say almost anything that you want.

The question is are you prepared to deal with the consequences of what you say.
When you're not, and you're gay, you can scream harrassment.

Funny how that works...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I guess when he signed up to be a member of NASCAR he gave up his right to free speech, he should have known better to speak his mind.
Free Speech does not protect you from private entities. There is no protection of speech when it comes to businesses, or employers, or the general public. The 1st Amendment protects speech from being limited by Congress (and later, through case law, state governments).

Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Date Comment
Another straight guy... 06-29-2011 09:49 PM You sure do like the gay threads don't you? Hmmmm......

If you are so cowardly that you must send silly messages through a rep point, please stop sending them to me, whether gay or straight, it is quite sissyish !!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Free Speech does not protect you from private entities. There is no protection of speech when it comes to businesses, or employers, or the general public. The 1st Amendment protects speech from being limited by Congress (and later, through case law, state governments).
He signed a contract, he broke it and he paid the price, when he signed the contract he gave up his right to free speech as long as he wanted to stay employed by the race team. I don't find anything wrong with it being he signed up knowing what he had done which I'm sure he did.

NASCAR does not want bad publicity and that’s why all teams are under a strict contract on behavior on and off the track.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Of course he would not have been fired and honestly it'll be entertaining for anyone to suggest he would.
It's even more entertaining to suggest that homosexuals would make anti-heterosexual remarks. I mean, really, when's the last time that happened?

"Hey Joe, don't those two **** you off, they way they hold hands. What with their penises and vaginas."

"I know, right? Wouldn't life be so much better if heteros went away?:

Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It's even more entertaining to suggest that homosexuals would make anti-heterosexual remarks. I mean, really, when's the last time that happened?:
Yeah right I'm sure Gay's never talk or make fun about others

Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nope. My bias is toward freedom of speech, and against the thought/speech police.

If he had sent his comments in a private email and they were discovered by his employer, would you still support firing him?
Twitter and Facebook are not private unless you set them up as private.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Yeah right I'm sure Gay's never talk or make fun about others
Oh, c'mon, I'm naive. Everyone makes fun of everyone. I guess in my opinion, a gay person who had disparaging things to say about heterosexuals would have the sense to not Tweet their sentiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Twitter and Facebook are not private unless you set them up as private.
And if you think they are private even after setting them to private, you are a fool.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Red Bull crewman fired for homophobic tweets | NASCAR News Now - SceneDaily.com

Yes, he worked for a private company and they had a right to fire him, but if he had been a gay guy making anti-heterosexual comments, do you think he would have been fired? I seriously doubt it.
He was in SF, and a gay bumper sticker set him off??? Guess it's a good thing he missed the Halloween Parade!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Of course he would not have been fired and honestly it'll be entertaining for anyone to suggest he would.
That has nothing to do with it. Per the article posted in the OP: "NASCAR’s rulebook includes a short Code of Conduct paragraph, with Rule 7-5 saying: “A NASCAR Member shall not make or cause to be made a public statement and/or communication that criticizes, ridicules, or otherwise disparages another person based upon that person’s race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, or handicapping condition.”"

Whether one agrees with it or not - its part of their corporate policy that he agreed to when he took the job. He violated company policy - end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies