Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,801,703 times

Advertisements

The Baptists are going to demand 100 years in a privatized prison for this severe blasphemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,707,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I'm not a Southern Baptist, but doubt that they ridicule or scorn gays. Hard core Christian fundamentalists, at most, generally, feel sorry for gays and welcome them into the arms of forgiveness. I understand that many gays don't want to be forgiven; just accepted. But still, its no reason to call those who think differently, "scorners," etc.
You don't know many conservative Christians do you? They ridicule and scorn gays. Trust me, I've been dealing with fundies and conservatives for over a decade.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
A convenient argument to hide behind when it's quite clear they really do hate homosexuals. If they didn't, they wouldn't have gone to such lengths to make their lives miserable or fighting to take away whatever rights they want to officially reclaim.

I would say the Baptists are guilty of impersonating a religion. If it really was a religion, it wouldn't be involved in politics, but, hey, they don't care! Morals? Ethics? Ha, they don't have any!
They must have more morals and ethics than the homosexuals criminally impersonating others.

What makes you think a true religion won't get involved in politics? The Baptists base their beliefs on the Bible. You simply don't agree with them, but that doesn't make them a false religion.

Homosexuals aren't reclaiming anything because they never had it in the first place in this country.

1,777 posts, read 1,396,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If you're defending this, you're as juvenile as the criminals who did it. Impersonating people, deliberately deceiving people, etc., is not acceptable. The Baptists never encouraged hate of homosexuals, merely rejection of what they view as sinful.
Groups such as The Yes Men have been pulling pranks like this for years. They make points, raise awareness, and hopefully maybe make people think about some of the ridiculous things people do.

My favorite one of their pranks to date was where one of them managed to be interviewed as BBC News, somehow convincing a reporter that he was a high level exec for Dow Chemicals. He said on BBC that they would be accepting full responsibility for the Bhopal disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, a massive humanitarian disaster that led to the death of thousands, and injuries to half a million others. Dow had to come out and say that they were not accepting responsibility for the disaster, despite all the evidence showing that their subsidiary's negligence directly led to the disaster and a shabby clean up operation. The prank raised awareness of Bhopal Disaster, and hopefully someday some Dow exec will feel enough shame about the thousands of deaths on their company's heads that they will take responsibility.

Maybe this prank will lead some of the Southern Baptist leaders to consider the effect of their positions over the years, and promote tolerance and acceptance, which was much more in line with Jesus' teachings than the division and denunciations that the Southern Baptist Church offers towards homosexuals today.

25,157 posts, read 53,801,703 times
Christians are horrendously spiteful and vindictive people. They don't practice forgiveness and compassion when needed: instead they demand prison terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You don't know many conservative Christians do you? They ridicule and scorn gays. Trust me, I've been dealing with fundies and conservatives for over a decade.

14,917 posts, read 13,042,481 times
Quote:
You're really just proving my point. Homosexuals got laws passed forcing themselves on others.
Again - we're talking about businesses that serve the public (not private churches like you initially claimed). Also, most states don't include sexual orientation in their anti-discrimination laws.

In most places in the US it is perfectly legal for a Christian run business to have a "No Gays" policy, but everywhere in the US it is illegal for a gay run business to have a "No Christians" policy. Any thoughts on that?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,119,134 times
Quote:
They're trying to legislate and litigate acceptance of a perversion. A site doesn't want homosexual ads? Don't use it. A church doesn't want homosexuals? Don't use it either. But don't attempt to force acceptance.
per·ver·sion/pərˈvərZHən/Noun
1. The alteration of something from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended.
2. Sexual behavior or desire that is considered abnormal or unacceptable.

"Abnormal" isn't necessarily wrong. Homosexuality occurs in nature as a minority event, so while it's natural, it is also technically abnormal because of its rarity. "Unacceptable" only applies to a religion which has no power over the rule of law.

The idea that homosexuality is a perversion and should not be made legal is rather ridiculous since its occurrence does not impact anyone other than its participants (forgetting of course whatever mental images may haunt you, something that is ultimately only your responsibility).

I could argue all day about how foolish this all is, but I feel I'm wasting my time. Every argument to oppose homosexuality is swiss cheese with holes so large you can drive a car through them. I'm exhausted.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
They're trying to legislate and litigate acceptance of a perversion. A site doesn't want homosexual ads? Don't use it. A church doesn't want homosexuals? Don't use it either. But don't attempt to force acceptance.
This is a secular country. You are not required to personally accept gays, you are, however, as a citizen of the United States, required to put up with people you don't like having equal rights.

I hate Neo-Nazis, the Westboro Baptist Church, and Pat Robertson. That doesn't mean I'm going to push laws trying to deny them freedom of speech just because they are ignorant bigots.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
In the minds of a Neo Prog; Disagreement = Hate. Why are you so desperate for our approval? I do not care if you approve of my lifestyle.
He and gays are not asking for your approval. They are asking you to stop using secular laws to force your person religious beliefs on other people.

Look at a hypothetical. If the majority of the country absolutely hated Christians like yourself, and had the legal power to make Christianity illegal, would you care? What would you do about it?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM

5,996 posts, read 7,051,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't want your approval. I just don't want you legislating away my civil rights. I may disapprove of your lifestyle (which I do), but I've never tried to pass a law banning you from contracting a civil marriage or serving in the military or being a school teacher, etc, etc, etc. That's when disapproval becomes hate.

How can you "legislate away" something that never was? You're being dishonest; you want to redefine marriage. If you admitted that I may have some respect for you that you seem to so desperately need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies