Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If you have a site called heterodating.com gays probably won't go there looking for dates... but then again, they might.
Because us gays are all scary, rapist, pedophile sex-predators right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They do have a chat room for "Straight Men".

Nice try.
Why would a gay dating site have a chat room for straight men? Or is this "straight men?"

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Why would a gay dating site have a chat room for straight men? Or is this "straight men?"
Probably to comply with the law. The United States has a federal law that says (most) for-profit businesses that serve the public cannot discriminate and deny service to people based on their sex, race, religion, and national origin. In other words, businesses can't have a "No Blacks" or "No Jews" or "No Hispanics" policy.

Many states have taken this a little further and added sexual orientation to these anti-discrimination laws. In those states, businesses can't have a "No Gays" or "No Heterosexuals" policy. I'm not sure whether gay.com is the type of business that would fall under these laws (they're a free social website that generates a profit through advertising), but they probably included a heterosexual area on their site just to be safe.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
I don't think so.

Gay.com is a niche market. It's clearly not a place for heterosexuals.

If you have a site called heterodating.com gays probably won't go there looking for dates... but then again, they might.
eHarmony had niche sites for hetero couples and gay couples. It also has niche sites for jewish, black, christian and seniors.

So there was another lawsuit because the hetero and gay sites weren't linked together. eH settled on putting up a link from one to the other and paid out a bunch of cash to some Californians, who I guess suffered some sort of ill fate because they didn't see a link between the niche sites. lol

Really stupid stuff. Frivolous lawsuits.

The lesson learned is that you can't cater to a niche market unless you cater to every conceivable niche market.

I think the OP is right to question the legality if gay.com doesn't also cater to heterosexuals even if on a separate niche site like eHarmony.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 06-29-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Because there are guys who identify as straight but like to have homosexual encounters.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I just thought of this reading about the thread about the gay radical prank pulled on the SBC. A few posters mentioned that E-harmony was sued because they didn't have a section for gay couples and were discriminating. Okay, fine, but then doesn't that mean that gay.com has to have a section for straight love connections? Would they not be in violation of the exact same discrimination that e-harmony was?
I don't think the gays discriminate... gay, straight, curious - they got what you need. Lies accepted.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Are you gay?

Honestly for all the months I've been reading your posts here I didn't know that.

I always perceived you as a concerned citizen who wants equality for ALL.

Why did you feel the need to tell me you're gay?

Doesn't matter one bit.

Seriously.

Sex predators come in all shapes and sizes and human description I don't attribute gays as being molesters any more than heteros.

I challenge you to find any thread or post that I have created where I claim that gays are all scary, rapist, pedophile sex-predators.

I did create a post a while back where I claim gays stole the rainbow symbol from children. But that's all. And I still stand by that post as being true.

The use of symbolism and brainwashing - Mommy look, a Rainbow person!

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-29-2011 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Are you gay?

Honestly for all the months I've been reading your posts here I didn't know that.

I always perceived you as a concerned citizen who wants equality for ALL.

Why did you feel the need to tell me you're gay?

Doesn't matter one bit.

Seriously.

Sex predators come in all shapes and sizes and human description I don't attribute gays as being molesters any more than heteros.

I challenge you to find any thread or post that I have created where I claim that gays are all scary, rapist, pedophile sex-predators.

I did create a post a while back where I claim gays stole the rainbow symbol from children. But that's all. And I still stand by that post as being true.
I didn't even look at the poster, I just reacted to the content. I've heard so many times how gay men are mentally unstable sex perverts who try to recruit straights and trick them into sinful gay sex and an unholy "lifestyle". Your post seemed to be a reflection of that characterization. I apologize if that wasn't the intention.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
I don't think so.

Gay.com is a niche market. It's clearly not a place for heterosexuals.

That is a good idea! Someone is doing a domain name search now, to purchase it, if it is not already taken.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Some of the real flamers are pretty scary. Actually pretty funny and entertaining.
Never heard of gay rape, but I bet it does happen.
Man on young boy, that is the elderly mature mans wet dream, or have the reports of that crap been lying and post the wrong picture of the scumbagger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies