Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Obesity is a choice for some, not for others. Those with low thyroid who put on a bunch of weight are not choosing to have low thyroid, for example. And those who are blessed with a very high metabolism who can eat whatever they want and not gain a lb are not making a choice.
Lose Weight Successfully Despite Thyroid Disease

How many fat/obese people have low thyroid?
75%?
50%?

Quote:
Now, you are correct about smoking. Smoking is a choice. So why don't you just quit?
Do you think smokers should be discriminated against because of their smoking?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Again,is this man:

Physically attractive to you?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Obesity is a choice for some, not for others. Those with low thyroid who put on a bunch of weight are not choosing to have low thyroid, for example. And those who are blessed with a very high metabolism who can eat whatever they want and not gain a lb are not making a choice.

Now, you are correct about smoking. Smoking is a choice. So why don't you just quit?
Because I don't want to. I enjoy smoking and I enjoy my strong coffee that would probably knock you on your butt. I pay the extra taxes, and am willing to pay extra for medical coverage. What I don't like, is the busy bodies telling me I don't have a right to my vice.
If I got a look at your cupboards and refrigerator, I could tell you why you can't lose weight. You are telling me how unhealthy you are, with all your medications, then complaining about the consequences. You have made your bed!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Lose Weight Successfully Despite Thyroid Disease

How many fat/obese people have low thyroid?
75%?
50%?

Do you think smokers should be discriminated against because of their smoking?
Great link. It supports using drugs to treat the obese. Geez, I think I suggested that a few posts up. No new news here folks.

No, I don't think smokers should be discriminated against, but they are.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Great link. It supports using drugs to treat the obese. Geez, I think I suggested that a few posts up. No new news here folks.
Then low thyroid is no excuse for being fat/obese.Thanks for helping rule out that excuse.

Quote:
No, I don't think smokers should be discriminated against, but they are.
You do not think a smoker should pay more for health insurance than a non smoker?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
In addition, the powers that be are against you. There is a lot of money to be made off fat people. Entire industries depend upon people like you to keep buying the next diet pill, drink, or plan. Is it Weight Watchers that even chooses and delivers your meals for you? Then there are the gazillion books written on the latest fad. You are what you eat - it's that simple. I will concede there are drugs that contribute, illnesses that contribute, there is always a price to pay for our choices.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Because I don't want to. I enjoy smoking and I enjoy my strong coffee that would probably knock you on your butt. I pay the extra taxes, and am willing to pay extra for medical coverage. What I don't like, is the busy bodies telling me I don't have a right to my vice.
If I got a look at your cupboards and refrigerator, I could tell you why you can't lose weight. You are telling me how unhealthy you are, with all your medications, then complaining about the consequences. You have made your bed!
Haha. Don't you realize your nicotine and caffeine are the same as someone else's carbs and food in their refrigerator? Have you done no reading on this sort of thing? Why do you think people gain weight when they quit smoking (well, part of it is due to a slowing down of metabolism but much of it is due to a substitution for an oral fixation).

I find it so humourous that you "don't like busy bodies telling you what to do." Hey, guess what? I don't like it either. As to all my medications? I happen to have one schedule 2 that would most likely lead to weight loss, but I have to lower my blood pressure DUE TO SMOKING and other factors before I can go on it (btw, I like my coffee strong and pay high insurance premiums for my "choices). Tsk, Tsk. I sure do notice how defensive you get when someone questions your drugs of choice, yet you cut no slack to a non-smoker who might just use food as you use nicotine with different outcomes. The fat person can't hide their addiction. All you have to do is to take a shower, brush your teeth and wash your clothes. It doesn't make you one whit better than the fat person.

Pot meet kettle.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Haha. Don't you realize your nicotine and caffeine are the same as someone else's carbs and food in their refrigerator?
You mean just as smoking is a choice,so is being fat?

Quote:
I find it so humourous that you "don't like busy bodies telling you what to do." Hey, guess what? I don't like it either.
Who is telling you what to do?
Be fat,it is your choice.
What you seem to be demanding is others change THEIR views to suit you.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
In addition, the powers that be are against you. There is a lot of money to be made off fat people. Entire industries depend upon people like you to keep buying the next diet pill, drink, or plan. Is it Weight Watchers that even chooses and delivers your meals for you? Then there are the gazillion books written on the latest fad. You are what you eat - it's that simple. I will concede there are drugs that contribute, illnesses that contribute, there is always a price to pay for our choices.
Yeah, ditto on the smoking. When you're hooked up to oxygen, remember there is always a price to pay for our choices!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You mean just as smoking is a choice,so is being fat?

Who is telling you what to do?
Be fat,it is your choice.
What you seem to be demanding is others change THEIR views to suit you.
Reading comprehension problems? Read up in this thread to answer your first question.

Again, nowhere, NOWHERE, have I demanded anyone change their views. I'll reiterate again, most people suck so I don't expect it nor would I ask for it. I might seek to educate and challenge, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies