Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
We know there is a problem with obesity in the USA when people are so "heavy set" they leave their footprints in concrete.
Could you be anymore transparent regarding your disgust?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No offense, but how does this serve you in the job market?
I was lucky enough to very very good at my job (professional horticulturist) and was recognized in my community for excellence. Retired last year, and am happy to be much less busy now. . . . devoting time to volunteering, learning to play the violin, etc.
I have always been quite active, physically, and also physically strong, both of which were necessary in my job(s). . . .. never went more than a week or two "looking", if I wished to change jobs, and that did not change regardless of my fatness, or thinness, at the time. Maybe I was just lucky?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:37 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:
Based on your username, would it be fair for me to say you are some emaciated gay fat hating person who is effeminate? (not saying you are, cause that would be superficial).
If you feel bad about your weight, why not exercise and eat healthier to work towards your desired weight? Why are you fighting with artsyguy?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
If you feel bad about your weight, why not exercise and eat healthier to work towards your desired weight? Why are you fighting with artsyguy?
Why is he fighting with me?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Whatever, loosely said. I wondered what had happened to you. Here you are.
Yes, seems to bother you getting answers you don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
We know there is a problem with obesity in the USA when people are so "heavy set" they leave their footprints in concrete.
People overeat.....it IS that simple in 95% of the cases of obesity.

Take the challenge - write down everything you eat in a day...see how much you are consuming. Most people would be shocked, just shocked they are eating so much.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Me too. It still comes down to caloric intake.

I've done this many times. If I want to lose weight, I write down everything I eat, find out how many calories I need based on weight, age, activity level and then look at what I'm actually eating, which is 9 times out of 10 more than I need.
Been there, done that...always in the past lost 10=15 pounds easily by calorie counting and running 15 miles a week...until menopause. Now on less calories, more exercise...and still fighting those 10 pounds.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
A lot of times, the overeating is emotional. People don't overeat out of hunger.

But to the OP's point, a lot of people do make judgments about someone just because they are fat. I'm in NJ--look at my governor. Many people do not like him, including myself, for things he has done (or sometimes just the manner in which he has done them) or because he has an unpleasant personality and says a lot of offensive things about the people who are paying his salary. But there are an awful lot of people who trash him just because he's fat.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Oh, like discrimination has gone away...right...lol
Simple question,I haven't seen it myself....not when it comes to hiring.

Have worked with some rather large people,even in some very tight spaces.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Excuses.

It is a fact that at a certain age (somewhere around 40), it is much more difficult to lose/maintain a healthy weight.

It can be done if one watches their caloric intake measured against their activity level and how much their body actually needs.

With FEW exceptions, the cause is overeating.

See, there are many medical conditions that can cause a weight gain that no amount of exercising or dieting can cure. PCOS comes to mind.

I know from experience. I am usually a size 4-6. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, so I am on anti-thyroid drugs. Drugs that suppress your thyroid suppress your metabolism, so you guessed it- weight gain. I exercise and diet to not gain any more weight than I already have, but when you have to suppress your thyroid to the extent I have to, you are not going to lose weight. I have been yo-yoing back and forth for a year, between all the medications they have me on.

(oh, and my kids and husband are still thin as a rail, no fatties )

Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Social mores....

Quote:
Contrary to the western obsession with tall and thin beauty icons, many men in Africa find fat women attractive.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3304161.stm

Quote:
Obesity is so revered among Mauritania's white Moor Arab population that the young girls are sometimes force-fed to obtain a weight the government has described as "life-threatening".
BBC NEWS | Africa | Mauritania's 'wife-fattening' farm

The article ends by saying that even in Africa this more is changing....

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-01-2011 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies