Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times

Advertisements

Why do you try to control everybody's personal decisions? I do not support people doing things that infringe on other people's rights to life, liberty and property. But if I want to smoke in my own house, why can't I? If I want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, why can't I? If I want to go eat at McDonald's every day, why does that make you want to start burning effigies of Ronald McDonald in front of their headquarters?

I've just never understood the nanny-state mentality I suppose. I remember seeing a comment in the newspaper about how the CDC predicts all states will have indoor (for restaurants, etc) smoking bans in 20 years. The fascist said something to the effect of "Some people are too stupid for their own good." Hah, first off, plenty of intelligent people do this "stupid" thing, but secondly who the hell are you to decide what I can and cannot do?

I know there are some of you out there, so again I ask you to explain why you think you should be on this crusade to end all bad things.

As the late Bill Hicks said, "I'll smoke, I'll cough, I'll get the tumors, I'll die. Deal?" And that applies to pretty much anything the nanny-statists want to ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
because you haven't reached their level yet.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Why do you try to control everybody's personal decisions? I do not support people doing things that infringe on other people's rights to life, liberty and property. But if I want to smoke in my own house, why can't I? If I want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, why can't I? If I want to go eat at McDonald's every day, why does that make you want to start burning effigies of Ronald McDonald in front of their headquarters?

I've just never understood the nanny-state mentality I suppose. I remember seeing a comment in the newspaper about how the CDC predicts all states will have indoor (for restaurants, etc) smoking bans in 20 years. The fascist said something to the effect of "Some people are too stupid for their own good." Hah, first off, plenty of intelligent people do this "stupid" thing, but secondly who the hell are you to decide what I can and cannot do?

I know there are some of you out there, so again I ask you to explain why you think you should be on this crusade to end all bad things.

As the late Bill Hicks said, "I'll smoke, I'll cough, I'll get the tumors, I'll die. Deal?" And that applies to pretty much anything the nanny-statists want to ban.
If you want to smoke anywhere where there is the slightest chance I'll smell it, I think you ought to be forced to wear some kind of diving bell contraption on your head.

Guess it's a good thing I'm not in charge, huh?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
I guess Im a "nanny-statist" and all I can say is do all those things and knock yourself out. I really could not care less. I am a liberal.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
If someone wants to drive a semi truck under the influence of crack cocaine and alcohol I don't want big government to stop them.

Freedom!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If someone wants to drive a semi truck under the influence of crack cocaine and alcohol I don't want big government to stop them.

Freedom!!!
There is a difference between this and eating McDonalds and smoking in your own house.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I guess Im a "nanny-statist" and all I can say is do all those things and knock yourself out. I really could not care less. I am a liberal.
You're not a nanny-statist if you don't care that I do those things
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

Freedom!!!
I said right there in my OP that things that deprive others of things like life or liberty are bad. Driving under the influence greatly endangers others' lives, and so it should be illegal.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM

288 posts, read 167,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

What's preventing you from smoking in your own house?

As for smoking in public, your right to smoke infringes on my right to breathe air not contaminated with cigarette smoke.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Nothing is preventing me from smoking in my own house (yet). But you know as well as I do that there are people who would like to make smoking as illegal as terrorism.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
As much as I disagree with excessive laws telling people how to behave, I would actually be for a law that bans cigarette smoking in any public place unless it's like a smoker's lounge type deal. I'm pregnant and it's to the point where I can't even drive with my windows down in my car b/c there are so many smokers around with THEIR windows down. Or what if I want to sit on my back patio but the guy upstairs is out smoking on his balcony? What if I want to enjoy the nice weather since that is rare in Wisconsin and go sit outside at a restaurant while having lunch, but if I do that, then I have to smell the cigarette smoke since people can still smoke outside of restaurants? Here's one that has been really bothering me lately, people who smoke right outside the entry/exit of public places, like the grocery store.

ETA: If someone wants to ride a motorcycle with no helmet or load up on McD's several times a day, they can be my guest, since that is not hurting anyone else. And if people want to smoke inside their own home, I don't care, as long as their smoke is not leaking out and getting to me. Sorry for the above tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies