Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,637,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BET, the media company that targets Black consumers, but is ultimately controlled by a predominantly white organization called Viacom, is not exactly on the same page when it comes to their assessment of Lil Wayne or any other artist (i.e. R. Kelly) who can be directly linked to the holocaust occurring within Black America today.
He lost me here, before I even got into the meat of the article. So apparently Viacom's mistakes are due to them being white (meaning we can't trust them, or they're incompetent, because they're white.), and black america is undergoing a holocaust today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,234,338 times
More white supremacist strategy to take the attention off them by comparing minority groups to hate groups like themselves. More of the same...nothing to see here folks

Before you know it, some closet bigot will start preaching about the American Negro College Fund as being a hate group and that Martin Luther King was a racist.

It's sad how people will resort to desperate tactics like this to gain credibility. David Duke anyone????

Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,102,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Been saying this forever.

People labeled me as racist cause I dind't approve of the largely black hip hop culture, but it is ruining America, particularly black America
This.

It's a cultural issue and not a racial one to me. I just do not see the value in it.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,369,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Finally, it seems that people are starting to get a clue. There is nothing more harmful to the black community than their own culture.
I agree 100%, and I'm African-American. Black culture is choking us from within. We need to drop this destructiveness and assimilate.

Kill Hip-Hop NOW.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:51 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,102,480 times
Quote:
Finally, it seems that people are starting to get a clue. There is nothing more harmful to the black community than their own culture.
Let's not get too overbroad here - there is a whole Universe of difference between Toni Morrison and Lil' Wayne...

EDIT: And this professor needs to understand the difference between heroin and heroine.

5,960 posts, read 5,530,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
More white supremacist strategy to take the attention off them by comparing minority groups to hate groups like themselves. More of the same...nothing to see here folks

Before you know it, some closet bigot will start preaching about the American Negro College Fund as being a hate group and that Martin Luther King was a racist.

It's sad how people will resort to desperate tactics like this to gain credibility. David Duke anyone????
The author is black.

5,984 posts, read 13,369,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Dr. King would roll in his grave if he could see what has happened to black culture in the last 20 years. It is the complete opposite of his dream.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,435,138 times
Quote:

That is not my "culture". Nor is it the "culture" for most black folks.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 AM

800 posts, read 778,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This.

It's a cultural issue and not a racial one to me. I just do not see the value in it.

I don't see white kids listening to dave matthews and phish driving around offing people.

I'm sorry, but considering this article was about BET (BLACK Entertainment television) and about black people, so yes this is both a cultural and racial issue because the two intertwine.

And yes there are white kids who subscribe to this culture, but at least where I'm from those kids were pretty much laughed off as jokes or idiots

Old 07-01-2011, 10:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Been saying this forever.

People labeled me as racist cause I dind't approve of the largely black hip hop culture, but it is ruining America, particularly black America
I disagree. Hip Hop provided an alternative to gangs and violence. Beginning in the mid-90's, artists like P. Diddy began to embrace materialism and excess in favor of violence. As a result, even former gangsta rappers like Snoop began adopting Diddy's mo and material success was embraced over violence and street cred. The whole Crips vs Bloods, East vs West and gang rivalries began to dissipate over the last 10 years particularly with the death of Tupac. It didn't hurt that 50 cent became a multi millionaire and business tycoon with Vitamin Water and no longer embraces the prison thug image he once did.Hip hop culture has been healthy for African Americans. To those of us who grew up around gang violence in the 80's and early 90's, we certainly don't think Hip Hop is a bad thing. I'm Hispanic and grew up in an area of L.A. that was proximal to the gang violence. That has dissipated considerably in the last 20 years and doesn't look anything like it did when I was a kid. When I was young, it was seen as being cool to embrace weapons and be a part of gang. Now it's viewed as being poor and trashy. That is a huge paradigm shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies