Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Thoughts on this article?
It's absolutely wonderful. I got a fatty reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Being poor is not, but taking drugs is. And since it's MY money that's being doled out, I think it's only fair that it NOT be used for criminals.
Amen, Brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
"Do it" indeed. We'll have a country that doesn't even resemble the America intended by our Founders.
Well, perhaps they intended the US to be like Zimbabwe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Proper economics doesn’t teach how to end The Great Depression 2.0 in several years instead of several decades.
Yes, it does, but half of it goes over your head and the other half goes way, way over your head.

Quote:
The down side of trying to print enough money to run the government is what happened in Germany after WWI. However if you print enough money and let everyone spend it then you can get modest inflation (say 20% for 5 years) and have full employment.
That would be a total fail. You seem to be completely incapable of grasping the complexities of Wage Inflation and Real Inflation.

Quote:
Upping the minimum wage is one way to default on the national debt.
You can't default on your National Debt. No country has ever defaulted on its debt, only on its debt payments. Learn and understand the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 AM

550 posts, read 604,202 times
In America, the perception of poor people is that you are lazy, play the victim, and you are where you are in life because you didn't try. In a country where you can rise from poverty to riches, many feel there is no excuse. I can kind of see it. People with a poverty mentality are a different breed. Sad to say it but it's true. Notice I said "poverty mentality". This would be someone born into sub-standard conditions and isn't familiar with any other way to live. Not those who are used to a decent lifestyle but have fallen on bad fortune due to the crappy economy.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
The poor have an obligation. Even though they are poor, they should be required to obey the laws. Drug testing doesn't bother me. On the other hand, the same should apply to people who are not poor and get govt. tax credits on their income taxes.

How do you do that? I'm interested.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Receiving assistance is not a "RIGHT", it is a privilege. Despite what these people think, nobody is ENTITLED to receive assistance and they should be damn grateful for what they do get.

"Selling" benefits on the black market to pay for drugs/alcohol/tobacco happens all too often. It is well within the rights of the issuing authority to try to halt this kind of abuse by requiring people to pass a drug test before benefits are given.

I am all for it.

20yrsinBranson
Brilliant post! And I agree with your sentiments 100%!

I think there SHOULD be mandatory testing. If you are concerned about cost, just do it like many courts do throughout the country . . . it is just a "cost of doing business" so the recipient has to pay for the testing, i.e., having it withheld from their welfare check.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
In America, the perception of poor people is that you are lazy, play the victim, and you are where you are in life because you didn't try. In a country where you can rise from poverty to riches, many feel there is no excuse. I can kind of see it. People with a poverty mentality are a different breed. Sad to say it but it's true. Notice I said "poverty mentality". This would be someone born into sub-standard conditions and isn't familiar with any other way to live. Not those who are used to a decent lifestyle but have fallen on bad fortune due to the crappy economy.
I think we all agree - the elderly and children, for ex., should be assisted as needed. And when people lose jobs and hit hard times - that is when they need a helping hand - TEMPORARILY. But we are talking subsistence here - kept from starving, kept from freezing in the winter. Our welfare program was set up to help those in dire need and I don't think anyone resents that. Most folks donate to programs voluntarily, like food banks and Salvation Army (or thru/ their churches) to help out the less fortunate.

So those in real need - that is one thing. But there are millions gaming the system and I know everyone on this board is bound to know people first hand who are gaming the system. It is rampant where I live. Those are the people who have ruined it for the really needy.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Some many, especially those on the right have been tricked into believing poor people are lazy and just don't want to earn a living like everyone else. .

If you were honest with yourself, you would agree that there are two categories of "poor".

1. Those who have had the misfortune for a variety of reasons (born with physical or mental issues, health problems, etc) to end up that way due to no fault of their own.

2. Those who are mentally and physically fit, lazy and don't want to work enough to provide for themselves.

Those right wing church going people that many lefties rag on support group #1 by contributing billions of dollars to charity.

Many of us believe that's a much better solution than government charity and that group #2 should get no assistance. When they get hungry, they will find work.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you were honest with yourself, you would agree that there are two categories of "poor".

1. Those who have had the misfortune for a variety of reasons (born with physical or mental issues, health problems, etc) to end up that way due to no fault of their own.

2. Those who are mentally and physically fit, lazy and don't want to work enough to provide for themselves.

Those right wing church going people that many lefties rag on support group #1 by contributing billions of dollars to charity.

Many of us believe that's a much better solution than government charity and that group #2 should get no assistance. When they get hungry, they will find work.
And the big problem with group # 2 is . . . they game the system, thus do things like . . . have multiple kids so as to get more $$ every month . . . then a % of those unwanted kids grow up as "at risk" kids and perpetrate crime . .. so it is a multi-leveled problem, that all starts out w/ people who have a generationally ingrained entitlement mentality.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do corporate oligarchs get to take drug tests too?
First off, what the hell is a 'corporate oligarch'? Second of all, all major corporations have mandatory random drug testing. My company hires an external, third party company that randomly picks employees once/month to be tested. Everyone's name is thrown into the hat (even the CEO's) and we (as a company) have absolutely no say in who is picked. If you test positive, you either go to a rehab program or you are fired. This has been common practice with the fortune 500 for well over two decades.

That writer really does not have a foot in reality. Implement random drug testing of applicants, to keep costs down. If you test positive, you are banned from receiving benefits for one year. How exactly is it unreasonable to not give free money to people who are on drugs?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I really doubt if the upper management of ANY company is subject to the same screening as the hired hands. Rank has always had privelege and that will never change.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I really doubt if the upper management of ANY company is subject to the same screening as the hired hands. Rank has always had privelege and that will never change.
I can guarantee they ARE subject to the same screenings. I have seen it with my own eyes. They just don't do drugs. Maybe those getting government assistance could learn something from management in the corporate world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies