Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

And then there is Big Supplement, which exists not to actually treat anyone of anything, but instead, to "support" organs that don't need external supporting, with chemicals and hormones that the body already produces or gets through eating properly in the first place.

There's also Big Colon, which doesn't really treat anyone of anything, but scams people into believing that the colon needs external help to be cleansed regularly, to prevent disease.

Don't forget Big Chiro, which exists not to treat anything, but to make your joints have funky cracking sounds, so they can claim they're treating you for anything from bone disease and arthritis to spinal meningitis and "cervical spine syndrome" that ONLY they can treat, because they know what the doctors don't want you to know. Of course the particular treatments aren't covered by insurance, and you have to pay $100/treatment at 2 treatments per week for 6 months...

And you're still in pain and end up with surgery anyway, while they're out on their sailboat enjoying the fruits of your labor.

EVERYONE is in it for the money. Not just the pharmaceutical companies. They're not JUST in it for the money - it isn't their only motivation. But it sure as hell beats collecting welfare checks and living in section 8 housing.

Would you work at your secretarial job, if you didn't get paid, and had no other means of income? Would you be a 3rd grade teacher for no salary at all? Would you rally together as a nation to demand that Professional baseball stop giving its players money, and make the "owners" give 100% of their income to charity, and make a trip to the stadium free of charge?

Is it a conspiracy to dupe the public into believing that baseball is worth paying for, which is why THEY are rich and YOU are not?

See how silly this is? They're called conspiracy theories for a reason. And people who create them are either in it for the money, in it for the fame, or just get a kick out of duping suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And then there is Big Supplement, which exists not to actually treat anyone of anything, but instead, to "support" organs that don't need external supporting, with chemicals and hormones that the body already produces or gets through eating properly in the first place.

There's also Big Colon, which doesn't really treat anyone of anything, but scams people into believing that the colon needs external help to be cleansed regularly, to prevent disease.

Don't forget Big Chiro, which exists not to treat anything, but to make your joints have funky cracking sounds, so they can claim they're treating you for anything from bone disease and arthritis to spinal meningitis and "cervical spine syndrome" that ONLY they can treat, because they know what the doctors don't want you to know. Of course the particular treatments aren't covered by insurance, and you have to pay $100/treatment at 2 treatments per week for 6 months...

And you're still in pain and end up with surgery anyway, while they're out on their sailboat enjoying the fruits of your labor.

EVERYONE is in it for the money. Not just the pharmaceutical companies. They're not JUST in it for the money - it isn't their only motivation. But it sure as hell beats collecting welfare checks and living in section 8 housing.

Would you work at your secretarial job, if you didn't get paid, and had no other means of income? Would you be a 3rd grade teacher for no salary at all? Would you rally together as a nation to demand that Professional baseball stop giving its players money, and make the "owners" give 100% of their income to charity, and make a trip to the stadium free of charge?

Is it a conspiracy to dupe the public into believing that baseball is worth paying for, which is why THEY are rich and YOU are not?

See how silly this is? They're called conspiracy theories for a reason. And people who create them are either in it for the money, in it for the fame, or just get a kick out of duping suckers.
Excellent post.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Let's not leave out such new "medicines" as Chantix, which is supposed to help people quit smoking. Apparently, it actually does perform this service. But one of its potential side effects is suicidal thoughts. "I don't smoke any more...but I think I might kill myself."

Releasing nostrums that cause more problems than you started out with is a part of their conspiracy, too. We don't even have to get into the subject of pharmaceuticals that are only tested for two or three years (the government mandates six) and then rushed onto the market so pharmaceutical companies can take extra advantage of exclusivity under patent law.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:05 AM

475 posts, read 814,705 times
Who coined the term "BIG PHARMA"?

I'm sure it was the same person who came up with "BIG OIL".

Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post

...and big boobs. You will know who is "BIG" these days by watching where the President goes for campaign contributions like BIG UNIONS or BIG FINANCE or who is TOO BIG TO FAIL.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Let's not leave out such new "medicines" as Chantix, which is supposed to help people quit smoking. Apparently, it actually does perform this service. But one of its potential side effects is suicidal thoughts. "I don't smoke any more...but I think I might kill myself."

Releasing nostrums that cause more problems than you started out with is a part of their conspiracy, too. We don't even have to get into the subject of pharmaceuticals that are only tested for two or three years (the government mandates six) and then rushed onto the market so pharmaceutical companies can take extra advantage of exclusivity under patent law.
I agree on that. Meds, imo, should only be used as a last resort. As you noted, it might fix one problem, but it will create another. It has to be a choice between the lesser of two evils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post

Maybe.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..yup..they make ailments up too.....oh, wait a sec, gotta get up and move around...my 'restless leg syndrome' is acting up...lol!!!
Yes. Look at the television ads for all sorts of drugs where the viewers are instructed to ask their doctors for these drugs, and in spite of the many terrible side effects even listed, these ads are working.

People are stupid enough to believe that drugs are the answer to all their problems. Their child brings home a C report card and ritalin will turn those Cs to As. Can't sleep because something is bothering you? Why fix the root problem and just pop some pill and you'll sleep well even if you might wander aimless through the streets while you sleep.

And it's just like the many harmful pesticides people will spray all over their homes, so what if they get cancer from them, they figure there's another chemical that will get rid of that.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,023 times
Indeed they sit on cures since it is profit driven; it is the business model that is used. If you have an orphan disease (a disease which may only affect 20 people or so), you are up the creek and without govt. subsidies they would not make flu shots since it doesn't turn a profit.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Indeed they sit on cures since it is profit driven; it is the business model that is used. If you have an orphan disease (a disease which may only affect 20 people or so), you are up the creek and without govt. subsidies they would not make flu shots since it doesn't turn a profit.
This is the argument. This is why I started the thread, but I'm not sure why folk cannot bring forth a substantiated argument. I'm not looking for something from crazy CT sites, but a well-thought argument with specific examples we can chew on.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are places in the world where you just can't get enough selenium from the local produce.

I don't eat anything from Iowa.

That whole state has been taken over by Big Farma.

Might be Pig Farma, I get them mixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies