Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is there a breakdown in the rule of law in the US?
yes 33 70.21%
no 12 25.53%
not sure/don't care 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I agree with what you say, completely, but many won't agree with me that the sudden rise of progressive control of things has directly correlated to much of that breakdown.
The Patriot Act's passage was the exact moment the rule of law broke down in the US.

So: Bush, Cheney, ********, Rove, etc. were all progressives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Patriot Act's passage was the exact moment the rule of law broke down in the US.

Yes. GW Bush was also an open borders guy who failed to uphold our border security and current immigration laws.

Obama scoffs at the need for Congressional approval while bombing the Hades out of Libya x 3+ months. He dismisses federal court rulings addressing his drilling moratorium and the order to cease moving forward with Obamacare until the decision is decided. Is that not a breakdown of the rule of law?

Was the formation of the federal reserve not a breakdown in the rule of law? The 16th Amendment? How far would you like to go back for the OP to be proven correct?

Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Was the formation of the federal reserve not a breakdown in the rule of law? The 16th Amendment? How far would you like to go back for the OP to be proven correct?
The law against booze was law.

The law against pot is not.

The 16th Amendment established the takeover of the American monetary system, although it doesn't say so.

The invention of the word, "income", with no definition, made law fiat.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The law against booze was law.

The law against pot is not.

The 16th Amendment established the takeover of the American monetary system, although it doesn't say so.

The invention of the word, "income", with no definition, made law fiat.

http://www.therundown.tv/RunDownVide...ts-gone-scene/

Old 07-04-2011, 08:20 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
In some ways yes. A pet peeve of mine is the people who go looking for things to challenge and sue over. Tearing apart contracts and agreements and whatnot looking for a loophole an then making a stink. Life comes with enough annoyances, we don't need people who just want to be *******s for the sake of being *******s. Law's and rules are supposed to help us live better, they weren't intended to be used to beat people over the head.

If everyone had better manners the world would be much improved.
i have to agree with this. i think there are people making a living looking for things to sue over. i think they think it is the best way to "get ahead".

i have a tenant who, when it is rent time, calls me up and tells me about her "rights", even when no such right exists. in our state, if you want to evict a bad non-paying tenant you can't get the police to throw them out (even though technically they are squatters)- you have to pay money and go through the court system. i always wondered why we have to pay taxes and then the police can't even do something like throwing out someone who hasn't paid rent in months, even with property destruction involved. i don't know if that is all states but it is a pet peeve of mine here.

i know somebody whose tenant didn't pay rent because they took a vacation instead and said that they "just didn't have it to pay". i don't remember society being this way before, but maybe it is just behavior driven by recession.

i don't think that bailing out wall street investment bankers who claim that they are "doing god's work" and then sucking up gigantic personal bonuses sets a very good example for anyone else's behavior. we would have to be blind to not see abuses going on, yet we see no punishment.

in china, they don't mess around. if you screw up, you often get executed. i am not saying we need to go that far, but i wish we had some middle ground-like actual justice of ANY sort. as frank rich said:
“What haunts the Obama administration is what still haunts the country: the stunning lack of accountability for the greed and misdeeds that brought America to its gravest financial crisis since the Great Depression. There has been no legal, moral, or financial reckoning for the most powerful wrongdoers. Nor have there been meaningful reforms that might prevent a repeat catastrophe.”

it isn't just the crimes committed but the lack of reform also, i believe, as well.

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-04-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
is there a breakdown in the rule of law in the united states?
Depends on which car I'm driving...

Old 07-04-2011, 08:48 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
It's very strange when the Federal Government is suing states that want to enforce Federal laws that are not being enforced.

It's scary when certain laws are not enforced to try to push an agenda. And even scarier that the politicians feel safe enough to be so blatant about it.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Of course, you know better but there were 8 years of Clinton preceding them.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes. GW Bush was also an open borders guy who failed to uphold our border security and current immigration laws.

Obama scoffs at the need for Congressional approval while bombing the Hades out of Libya x 3+ months. He dismisses federal court rulings addressing his drilling moratorium and the order to cease moving forward with Obamacare until the decision is decided. Is that not a breakdown of the rule of law?

Darn it, majoun felt so good and you have pointed it all out. I wonder if you will get an answer before tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM

288 posts, read 167,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
With modern technology and the ability to photography or record anything the instant it happens, we just have more coverage of law breaking than ever before. That doesn't mean there IS a breakdown in the rule of law or that there is anymore crime than we had decades ago. We have dozens if not hundreds of news sources now so everything gets covered to death, which didn't happened before all the cable channels came into being...even the little stories that decades ago would have remained local, now go national and international.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies