Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I don't care about the rest of the world, Im talking about here in the U.S. were their always trying to compare their " plight" to blacks. Show me in U.S. history mass lynchings of gays, gays in bondage, gays denied the right to go to schools. Why don't you get a clue and quite trying to piggy back off of Black Civil Rights. Attach your horse somewhere else.
Gays have always been mistreated in this country - and yes, mistreated just as badly as black people. The "fortunate" thing for gay people is that they can much more easily hide their "affliction".

Gays have been lynched in this country - look to Matthew Shepard for a recent example. Also, from the founding until the mid 1800s, homosexuality was a crime punishable by death in the United States. There is a history of homosexuals being put to death by our government - legal lynchings if you want to call them. No, gays weren't enslaved back in the day - they were just executed if found out. I'm not sure which is worse.

And gays were just as discriminated against from the end of the civil war through the first half of the 1900s and into today. Perhaps more so than blacks. Gays could not live openly for most of the last century. If they tired, not only were they denied the same civil rights blacks were, they would most likely have been locked up in a padded cell and "treated" (lobotomized, etc) against their will or put in prison. Imagine a group gay men trying to get served at a lunch counter in Mobile Alabama in 1952. If they weren't followed out and killed after being denied service, they would have been arrested and imprisoned (and almost assuredly beaten by the police). Simply being gay was against the law.

And gays most certainly were denied the right to go to schools. Essentially every (if not every) college in the US banned gay students. I can think of one example off the top of my head: James Beard, the most influential and most famous of all American chefs, was expelled from college for being gay (and from probably the most liberal college in the entire US: Reed College). There are private colleges that even today still ban gay students.

But honestly, who cares who's been mistreated more? Gays have historically been persecuted in the US and denied civil rights. They are still denied civil rights, and the invidiously discriminatory laws that do this need to be gotten rid of.

Last edited by hammertime33; 07-05-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
How is this news?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Gays have always been mistreated in this country - and yes, mistreated just as badly as black people. The "fortunate" thing for gay people is that they can much more easily hide their "affliction".

Gays have been lynched in this country - look to Matthew Shepard for a recent example. Also, from the founding until the mid 1800s, homosexuality was a crime punishable by death in the United States. There is a history of homosexuals being put to death by our government - legal lynchings if you want to call them. No, gays weren't enslaved back in the day - they were just executed if found out. I'm not sure which is worse.

And gays were just as discriminated against from the end of the civil war through the first half of the 1900s and into today. Perhaps more so than blacks. Gays could not live openly for most of the last century. If they tired, not only were they denied the same civil rights blacks were, they would might likely have been locked up in a padded cell and "treated" (lobotomized, etc) against their will. Simply being gay was against the law.

Imagine a group gay men trying to get served at a lunch counter in Mobile Alabama in 1952. If they we're followed out and killed after trying to get service, they would arrested and imprisoned. And gays most certainly were denied the right to go to schools. Essentially every (if not every) college in the US banned gay students. I can think of one example off the top of my head: James Beard, the most influential and most famous of all American chefs, was expelled from college for being gay (and from probably the most liberal college in the entire US: Reed College).

But honestly, who cares who's been mistreated more? Gays have historically been persecuted in the US and denied civil rights. They are still denied civil rights, and the invidiously discriminatory laws that do this need to be gotten rid of.

FALSE!

From a bisexual black male.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Gays crying because a gay church didn’t applaud them or something is like a steak-loving person crying because he was not permitted to eat steak in an all vegetarian conference. Come on. Move on and create your own gay supportive religion or join Satanism because they do support homosexuals/lesbians/transgender/ and many other sexual “preferencesâ€.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
FALSE!

From a bisexual black male.
Care to critique the actual points I use to support my position?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:

And gays were just as discriminated against from the end of the civil war through the first half of the 1900s and into today. Perhaps more so than blacks. Gays could not live openly for most of the last century. If they tired, not only were they denied the same civil rights blacks were, they would might likely have been locked up in a padded cell and "treated" (lobotomized, etc) against their will. Simply being gay was against the law.

Imagine a group gay men trying to get served at a lunch counter in Mobile Alabama in 1952. If they weren't followed out and killed after trying to get service, they would have been arrested and imprisoned (and almost assuredly beaten by the police). And gays most certainly were denied the right to go to schools. Essentially every (if not every) college in the US banned gay students. I can think of one example off the top of my head: James Beard, the most influential and most famous of all American chefs, was expelled from college for being gay (and from probably the most liberal college in the entire US: Reed College).

Your whole argument fails because you just admitted yourself that gays can hide their lifestyle. Black people can not hide the fact that their black. Trying to compare the two again is idiotic. Why can't you people get that through your head.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Care to critique the actual points I use to support my position?

You can't even begin to compare them..just like the above stated.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Your whole argument fails because you just admitted yourself that gays can hide their lifestyle. Black people can not hide the fact that their black. Trying to compare the two again is idiotic. Why can't you people get that through your head.
So?

I find the fact that gays had to deny their humanity and live a lie or else face execution, imprisonment, or civil commitment (an egregious denial of civil rights no matter how you cut it) an absolute travesty and disgusting mistreatment of the highest and most immoral order. That's no choice. If I couldn't live my "lifestyle" (I still don't know what the hell a "gay lifestyle" is) - if I couldn't love another man and make a life and home with him and be around loving and accepting family and friends, I'd probably kill myself. Denying my humanity and living a lie is no life worth living.

But again, I don't really care which group has been treated worse or denied more civil rights. Both gays and blacks have historically been persecuted in the US and denied equal rights. Gays are still denied equal civil rights, and the invidiously discriminatory laws that do this need to be gotten rid of.

Last edited by hammertime33; 07-05-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
So?

I find the fact that gays had to deny their humanity and live a lie or else face execution, imprisonment, or civil commitment (an egregious denial of civil rights no matter how you cut it) an absolute travesty and disgusting mistreatment of the highest order. That's no choice. If I couldn't live my "lifestyle" (I still don't know what the hell a "gay lifestyle" is) - if I couldn't love another man and make a life and home with him and be around loving and accepting family and friends, I'd probably kill myself. Denying my humanity and living a lie is no life worth living.
Why? You argue for the government to rule according to your wishes....why are you the one that gets to decide that? What makes your point of view any better?

Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why? You argue for the government to rule according to your wishes....why are you the one that gets to decide that? What makes your point of view any better?
I get it. You believe that homosexuality is wrong and sinful and evil. You believe that homosexuals are icky and gross and abominations in the eyes of your God. You believe that crafting our laws to enforce your religious doctrine is a good thing. You believe that homosexuals should be discriminated against and repressed (perhaps once again executed, imprisoned, or civilly committed) using the force of civil law.

You believe in religious theocracy whereas I believe in treating others as you want to be treated as well as in freedom, liberty, and American values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies