Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Did you bother to read the cite. Somehow I doubt it. This thread is about taxes on the very wealthy and the correlation to the disparity in wealth. I don't believe I have ever seen a tax bill that would exclude "Hollywood" or sports figures. This is absurd and an attempted thread hijack.
Actually it injects reality into the debate. The days of 90% taxes you and the author long for was replete with loopholes for special interests. There is no doubt that any attempt to punish the wealthy will provide refuge for those favored by the ruling class. This vengeance will in no way help the middle class, it will simply make government stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You think those folks are the rich the Op is referring to? They're pikers compared to the very wealthy, old money folks from all around the world. You and I would never breath the same air or space with this kind of person ever.
If they did fall within the extremely wealthy club. i.e. Oprah, should be taxed the same. You have people like the walton children...4 in the top 10 wealthiest in the U.S. who diddly to get their mega billions.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Actually it injects reality into the debate. The days of 90% taxes you and the author long for was replete with loopholes for special interests. There is no doubt that any attempt to punish the wealthy will provide refuge for those favored by the ruling class. This vengeance will in no way help the middle class, it will simply make government stronger.
If liberals complain about the wealth gap, then they should have gotten angry at Bubba for signing away their jobs, just like conservatives should have gotten angry at Bush. The liberals should LOVE Bush, and the conservatives should LOVE Obama. What's the difference between the 2? Well, one has a {D}, while the other has an {R}.

Inflation is the opium of the ruling class. Inflation does NOT affect them in any way

Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Don't worry, the Krugman Keynesian Klan will just blame "trickle down economics" that was never implemented.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
If they did fall within the extremely wealthy club. i.e. Oprah, should be taxed the same. You have people like the walton children...4 in the top 10 wealthiest in the U.S. who diddly to get their mega billions.
I'm not even referring to them. You can make a billion now but doesn't mean you belong to the club. However, I see your point.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Not since before the great depression have we had such inequality in wealth distribution. There is a correlation between the disparity and taxes. The lower the taxes the higher the disparity. The greater the taxes the less the disparity and the larger the middle class. Anyone who tells you that taxes on the rich kills the middle class just needs to look at the charts.

The 30-Year Growth of Income Inequality |
But all of that money allows them to control the informatiion that a good deal of the population recieves, that way they get them to act against their own self interest. Like Fox """News"""

Old 07-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
But all of that money allows them to control the informatiion that a good deal of the population recieves, that way they get them to act against their own self interest. Like Fox """News"""
You can see that in the same old tired preprogrammed responses. Govt. bad, rich good, taxes = theft, it is not a revenue problem it is a spending problem, blah blah blah. I would kill for an original thought from the right posters. They are so predictable.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
You can see that in the same old tired preprogrammed responses. Govt. bad, rich good, taxes = theft, it is not a revenue problem it is a spending problem, blah blah blah. I would kill for an original thought from the right posters. They are so predictable.
I would be refreshing to hear the left actually address those points rather than recite them. But alas, it is too much to hope for.

I would be delighted to hear how punishing the wealthy benefits you. I would also be interested in how giving the government more powerful is desirable. I somehow suspect we will get some vague side step here. But here's to hoping!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:33 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You think those folks are the rich the Op is referring to? They're pikers compared to the very wealthy, old money folks from all around the world. You and I would never breath the same air or space with this kind of person ever.
They are in far less numbers compared to celebrities and athletes who hold huge pay... the old money folks don't hold a candle to the new money folks... by numbers and money... the old money folks are more for story-telling and movie-making....

Old 07-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They are in far less numbers compared to celebrities and athletes who hold huge pay... the old money folks don't hold a candle to the new money folks... by numbers and money... the old money folks are more for story-telling and movie-making....
New money? Take a look at the hedge fund managers who have made billions in the last few years...that is billions with a big B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies