Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,496 times

Advertisements

You think? Try googling for some scientific data. Why would you just think this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,446,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think Neanderthals are still among us. I think it's hard to believe that humans and Neanderthals had no contact.
The current Anthropological Science, from what I understand, debunks the theory of evolution that man gradually evolved from the ape through different stages of becoming a human to a theory that says that the various "pre-historic" man that have been giving different names were nothing more than the equivalent of different body types that were all around at the same time.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,115,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Yes, the Neanderthals were strong but one of the biggest things I know that make them different then modern humans was the fact that they had bodies that were better suited to handle the COLD. For example, Neanderthals had a more barrel shaped rip cage apposed to ours so they could retain heat.

What we call Europe today was much different 100,000+ years ago. It was EXTREMELY cold with brutal inclement weather.

The modern human is on the right, and I believe that the bones of the Neanderthal you see on the left was constructed from many diffrent Neanderthal bones because nobody has ever found a complete Neanderthal skeleton:

This is particularly interesting considering than mankind "originated" in hot, tropical Africa. Considering that there were probably less than 1,000,000 humanoids TOTAL during the Neanderthal period, and SIGNIFICANTLY less than that in the eons prior to the Neanderthal period, doesn't it seem incredibly STRANGE that people would even bother populating a climate where it was far more harsh as well as being harder to find food, etc?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,284,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The current Anthropological Science, from what I understand, debunks the theory of evolution that man gradually evolved from the ape through different stages of becoming a human to a theory that says that the various "pre-historic" man that have been giving different names were nothing more than the equivalent of different body types that were all around at the same time.
Anthropologists never said that humans evolved from apes. Apes and humans shared a common ancestor and people just could never listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is particularly interesting considering than mankind "originated" in hot, tropical Africa. Considering that there were probably less than 1,000,000 humanoids TOTAL during the Neanderthal period, and SIGNIFICANTLY less than that in the eons prior to the Neanderthal period, doesn't it seem incredibly STRANGE that people would even bother populating a climate where it was far more harsh as well as being harder to find food, etc?

20yrsinBranson
Much less than 1,000,000, actually.

Look at Arizona, Phoenix is a large cit yin the desert with ~1.5 million people.

Food and land were driving factors. And just because it was tens of thousands of years ago, does not mean curiosity wasn't alive and well.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,336,571 times
CaseyB, you are on the ball today.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,674,859 times
This is a very good question despite all the joke answers. It's hard to imagine that Neaderthal did not mix with local human populations and I believe they must have to some extent, but it seems that most scientists today do not believe we have any Neaderthal ancestry. Maybe the population that interbred were so small that it didn't impact the overall population.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,284,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
This is a very good question despite all the joke answers. It's hard to imagine that Neaderthal did not mix with local human populations and I believe they must have to some extent, but it seems that most scientists today do not believe we have any Neaderthal ancestry. Maybe the population that interbred were so small that it didn't impact the overall population.
It's actually the exact opposite.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,026,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
That assumes that the climate in Africa 200,000 years ago was as you imagine is today. It wasn't.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,674,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It's actually the exact opposite.
It seemed that way to me about 4 or 5 years ago, but you are right. I am reading that there are estimates of 1-4% of the European and Asian DNA might be shared with Neaderthal populations. I personally believe that competition with modern humans was the leading factor, but that interbreeding did happen. However, I don't think that was the cause of their disappearance.

This reminds me of the question of the extinction of the dinosaurs when I was a kid in the 90's. Our science teachers would present us with the leading theories and we kind of chose our favorites when we were kids. As a kid I always thought the giant asteroid theory was totally ridiculous.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,585,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think Neanderthals are still among us. I think it's hard to believe that humans and Neanderthals had no contact.
It was humans that had contact with the Neanderthals.

A Draft Sequence of the Neandertal Genome (It's a long read, so...)

"In conclusion, we show that genome sequences from an extinct late Pleistocene hominin can be reliably recovered. The analysis of the Neandertal genome shows that they are likely to have had a role in the genetic ancestry of present-day humans outside of Africa, although this role was relatively minor given that only a few percent of the genomes of present-day people outside Africa are derived from Neandertals. Our results also point to a number of genomic regions and genes as candidates for positive selection early in modern human history, for example, those involved in cognitive abilities and cranial morphology. We expect that further analyses of the Neandertal genome as well as the genomes of other archaic hominins will generate additional hypotheses and provide further insights into the origins and early history of present-day humans."

Follow the ancient tribes, from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies