U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM

9,958 posts, read 7,561,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Asexual if you must know.
I don't really need to know but it just helps understand why you say the things you do.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,732,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I don't really need to know but it just helps understand why you say the things you do.
You might want to delete this comment based upon your stated position in this thread.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,064,899 times
Quote:
It's fascinating that you, as a self proclaimed teacher, would want to cover up history. And why?

Believe it or not, history has depth to it. You can't pretend someone wasn't gay when, a lot of times, being gay was directly tied into their role in history.

So why cover it up? Because someone has a hatred of said group and wants to pretend they don't exist.
Tell me some of the Founders who were gay and if you know some that were how their sexual thinking contributed to their work on the Constitution.

I don't think that any of my students wanted to know about who was and who wasn't gay and am very glad that I didn't have to tell any of them those things.

Hey, I left the profession in 1986 before the Progs had taken over so much so I guess I need to go to your school to get up on what did and didn't happen.

I don't think we covered up anything since people back in the day didn't worry about what your sexual leaning was. As Archie and Edith said in their introductory song, "Girls were girls and men were men". Just think how nasty that song was because they didn't mention your people. Of course, that song was recorded in the 1970s to fit the thinking of society then.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM

397 posts, read 800,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
My religion is largely what my parents instilled in me but I can assure you that neither of them was crazy about gays although my mother tried very hard to convince me that their sex was their own decision.

Of course, you statement about religion being chosen just as sexual leaning runs counter to what most of the gays here keep saying. Yes religion is choice but most of those here say that sexual lean is not chosen, but inborn.
You didn't choose to be born into whatever religion. And a lot of kids do simply take their parents religion and not think much about it beyond that. Plus you're a Jew, according to their religion, if your mother is Jewish. It's not really your choice in that instance. I am sure it's the same for others I am not an expert in religious customs in that regard.

But it's a debate that can go both ways, and one I don't really care about. I just find it an interesting comparison. Which is why I used religion since people can say it's a choice just how some people claim sexuality is a choice.

I always look at gay rights as an issue of sexism anyways. Even if you choose to be gay you still didn't choose to be born your sex.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM

800 posts, read 640,693 times
This is just stupid and poltical posturing. When you talk about historical figures that were gay, their homosexuality was not likely a huge factor in why they did what they did (being a general or leader etc.), unless its going to be a huge lecture on gay rights activists or something.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM

397 posts, read 800,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Tell me some of the Founders who were gay and if you know some that were how their sexual thinking contributed to their work on the Constitution.

I don't think that any of my students wanted to know about who was and who wasn't gay and am very glad that I didn't have to tell any of them those things.

Hey, I left the profession in 1986 before the Progs had taken over so much so I guess I need to go to your school to get up on what did and didn't happen.

I don't think we covered up anything since people back in the day didn't worry about what your sexual leaning was. As Archie and Edith said in their introductory song, "Girls were girls and men were men". Just think how nasty that song was because they didn't mention your people. Of course, that song was recorded in the 1970s to fit the thinking of society then.
Maybe if our society was open, in the 1700s, we should know if any were gay.

How do you not mention Oscar Wilde without bringing up sexuality?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,416,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I imagine it's time we stopped separating people into categories of gay, straight, black, white, asian, latino etc.
What a strange idea--that we should be unhyphenated Americans. (I don't think you could get that to work even with an act of Congress!)

Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM

800 posts, read 640,693 times
Quote:
Maybe if our society was open, in the 1700s, we should know if any were gay.

How do you not mention Oscar Wilde without bringing up sexuality?
Usually historical figures who were gay are fairly known and it is covered in a basic history course.

I've taken a lot of classical history courses and they definitely talk about bisexual Roman Emperors.

Which is why I'm glad I don't live in California and think this is incredibly stupid

Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,333,929 times
Based on the way this thread is going, I guess I have to preface my remarks with this disclaimer: I'm not gay.

Also, I'm a conservative Republican. But I do think teaching the history of the Gay Rights Movement has merit. If the Civil Rights Movement is taught, I think this should be too.

Before you start screaming at me, yes, I understand there is a difference between being black and being gay. If you are gay, you can hide that fact at your leisure. I also understand the gay community hasn't suffered nearly as much as the black community. I get that.

But, until I learned my son was gay, I had NO KNOWLEDGE of the struggle for gay rights. I had to go on gay message boards and ask questions, read books and articles. What I found was stunning. Seriously. Look into it and you will be amazed.

Does it matter whether or not Oscar Wilde was gay? Read his Wikipedia page. Read his books (I swear, Dorian Gray is VERY different when read from this perspective!)

There just seems to be so much fear on this topic. Everyone seems to have their fingers plugged in their ears and stomping on the ground with their eyes closed. Don't be afraid. Knowledge is power.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,354,277 times
We should teach the contributions to society made by people. And if a person is LGBT, mention it . . . along with "liked cats," or "was left handed," or "had blue eyes." LGBT doesn't make a person special - anymore than being a woman, or black, or hispanic, or obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies