U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What word best describes his presidency?
Good 127 38.14%
Ok 67 20.12%
Horrible 130 39.04%
I'm young and unfamiliar 9 2.70%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 AM

780 posts, read 458,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
You might want to revisit a dictionary and brush up on the definitions of "Liberal" and "Conservative" because you seem confused
I think you are the one who is confused.

In the Bush 2 era, liberals in the US were considered conservative in Europe.

Still are.

The US didn't invent the terms. Just an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,398,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
what do you say?

He was great a making speeches. The things that do not qualify him as a great President are:
  • Iran Contra (trading weapons with the enemy is treason)
  • Neglecting AIDs into a pandemic.
  • Bringing the national debt into the trillions for the first time'
  • Trickle Down Economics (what a freaking joke)

Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,648,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
I think you are the one who is confused.

In the Bush 2 era, liberals in the US were considered conservative in Europe.

Still are.

The US didn't invent the terms. Just an FYI.
No, you are confused... who gives a **** what liberals in the US are considered to be in other countries. It has no bearing to the US.

You didn't answer my question, you just deflected .... see below

How would Regean be considered a Liberal by todays rightwing.... especially since he is considered a HERO by todays rightwing
Kind of conterintuitive to normal people but perfectly rational to idiot lefties of today like Otto there

Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 AM

22,395 posts, read 11,532,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
No, you are confused... who gives a **** what liberals in the US are considered to be in other countries. It has no bearing to the US.

You didn't answer my question, you just deflected .... see below

How would Regean be considered a Liberal by todays rightwing.... especially since he is considered a HERO by todays rightwing
Kind of conterintuitive to normal people but perfectly rational to idiot lefties of today like Otto there
I think what it is is that Reagan was willing to compromise which politicians on both sides of the aisle do little of these days.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,648,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think what it is is that Reagan was willing to compromise which politicians on both sides of the aisle do little of these days.
Compromise is not a platform for either party... I think people are misunderstanding my question I posed to "Otto".

What Reagan policies make him a Liberal compared to todays GOP like he said Reagan would be considered to be these days by the GOP?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,239,428 times
On balance, I think he was OK. He huffed and puffed on foreign policy. Some good came of it. Much bad, as well. But his legacy should be that he bankrupted the nation. He also believed in big government, and government intervention into our private lives. I'm being generous when I rate him as "OK."

Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM

679 posts, read 568,658 times
No, his policies utterly stupid and stripped and destroyed everything this country worked for. He gave us a good juice of economic benefit that was utterly horrible in the long run.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 AM

6,722 posts, read 4,418,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That would be 16,753,000 jobs or 174,510 jobs a month.
Job creation defines how great a president is???? I guess the 10,000,000 jobs Carter "created" in 4 years makes him greater than reagun. Apparently, reagun barely kept pace with the job creation rate Carter had during his dismal presidency.

I thought presidents don't create jobs.

I guess if you start at a low point, bringing things back to normal looks good. When Ronald reagun took office on January 20, 1981, the country was experiencing some of bleakest economic times since the Great Depression. Taxes were high, unemployment was high, interest rates were high and the national spirit was low.
Quote:

You probably don't even understand that.

That's 1.389 million people less in the unemployment line.

With 22 million new citizens from the 1980 census to the 1990 census that's pretty impressive.

That's classic. Now you don't believe in "priming the pump."

Table H-1. Income Limits for Each Fifth and Top 5 Percent
All Races

Share of total income is meaningless. In your argument you'd rather the country suffer so that things were more equal. There is no truth at all in the pie scenario liberals love to always go to. If money were finite that might mean something.
Another complete lie. FDR held the record taking it from 50% of GDP to 120% of GDP.

That wasn't even a good attempt at propaganda.

Nice try. Since that 120% caused by WWII both parties were working off the debt, until reagun's "debts don't matter" voodoo policies...

http://zfacts.com/sites/all/files/image/debt/US-national-debt-GDP.gif (broken link)

Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,362,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Reagan ran huge deficts when he cut taxes without also cutting spending, yes the economy grew.
Okay, but by that logic Obama should be crowned King of Economics at this point with the greatest growth in the economy since economies began...

You know the difference if you understand how economies and people work. Economic Malaise™ and class warfare only work to elect dictators.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,362,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
First Michael Boskin, now John Taylor: there seems be an epidemic of politically conservative economists who used to be technically competent repeating the obviously wrong falsehood that Reagan ushered in an era of “unprecedented” growth.

No matter what measure you use, it just ain’t so — and I thought every macroeconomist in America knew it wasn’t so. Here’s one measure that the BLS happens to have put in a convenient chart, so that I’m not choosing the dates, they are:

The Corrosion of the Conservative Economic Mind - NYTimes.com
Well this should be interesting. match your little chart with this little chart.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/a...figure_004.jpg

That's not going to work out very well your you class warfare folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies