U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What word best describes his presidency?
Good 127 38.14%
Ok 67 20.12%
Horrible 130 39.04%
I'm young and unfamiliar 9 2.70%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,539,488 times

Advertisements

I thought Reagan was the second worst modern era president........next to George W..........

Isn't ketchup a vegetable??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,453,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I think the libs are more than a little jealous that they don't have anyone even remotely comparable to Reagan.

The closest they have is a DNA-stained blue dress and a slogan (Hopenchange). Sucks to be them.
I think it's sad that the Republicans haven't found any new heroes in the past 25 years. Bush Sr. was a moderate (to them) and Bush Jr. was a huge disappointment. And who's the new GOP hero? Oh, that's right, there isn't one.

As for Clinton: He had his faults, but he did his job well, and that counts for a lot considering what we had after him.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,293,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I thought Reagan was the second worst modern era president........next to George W..........

Isn't ketchup a vegetable??????
Lol, yeah all that prosperity was tiring. I am sure the folks of Eastern Europe were so bummed there I no more Berlin wall.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,453,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It is probably too early to judge him historically. What I remember most is how much sway he held with the public. He could give a speech and people would be hanging on every word. Democrats just wish they had a candidate with such appeal. He did some things modern conservatives would cringe at: New taxes to save Social Security, Amnesty for illegal aliens, making MLK day a Federal holiday.
I honestly don't think Reagan would be nominated by today's GOP. Not a chance.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,299,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I think it's sad that the Republicans haven't found any new heroes in the past 25 years. Bush Sr. was a moderate (to them) and Bush Jr. was a huge disappointment. And who's the new GOP hero? Oh, that's right, there isn't one.

As for Clinton: He had his faults, but he did his job well, and that counts for a lot considering what we had after him.
I think it's better to have no heroes than to have failed pathetic heroes like Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and Ted Kennedy.

And the GOP has plenty of heroes. We've got a whole slew of new governors who are actually making tough choices - Scott Walker, Chris Christie, Bob McDonnell come to mind. Scott Brown is sitting in Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts Senate seat. Mark Kirk is sitting in Obama's Illinois Senate seat.

Marco Rubio will make people like you wet your pants for years. *Conservatives* have plenty of heroes. Liberals have the same tired shills for the same tired redistribution plans.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't think Reagan would be nominated by today's GOP. Not a chance.
Hey, anything is possible. A community organizer with no executive experience and a resume shorter than a pamphlet on great Jewish athletes got elected President.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,641,983 times
The best presidents are good leaders and make the "other side" cringe. This is what made Reagan great and what also made Clinton great.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,641,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Hey, anything is possible. A community organizer with no executive experience and a resume shorter than a pamphlet on great Jewish athletes got elected President.
Luckily for him, he ran against a bottom-feeder military brat and a brainless twit from the backwoods.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Luckily for him, he ran against a bottom-feeder military brat and a brainless twit from the backwoods.
Your misogyny is showing. Unsurprisingly, you're from San Francisco.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,090,204 times
Quote:
What a stupid comment. Liberals and communists aren't the same. Read a book some time. It'll do you good.

Anyway, my parents raised me to revere Reagan, but I now think he was just okay. And I see some of the bad consequences to his policies.

Strengths

1. Optimism, faith in the American People. spoke strongly against the Soviet Union
2. I may not agree with his politics, but at least he was decisive and got things done, even if they weren't all the right things.

Weaknesses

1. He Turned a blind eye to deficit spending, which we're currently dealing with now.
2. He set the stage for the current Republicans' tax cut fixation. (though that's not entirely his fault. It's annoying to watch anyway.
3. The current trend of massive income inequality began under his watch. Now we have the biggest inequality since before the Depression. Thanks, Mr. President.

On the whole, he was a decent guy who meant well, but I don't think many of his policies were good for the country. He's overrated. Two out of five stars.

PS. Does anyone else think the Republicans' cult-like obsession with President Reagan is a little odd/unsettling/creepy? Just build a temple to him already, why don't ya.
I agree with you on his strengths.
But, I think that there were more weaknesses.
His reluctance to address AIDS.
Iran contra.
"Just say no!" ... really? That's all there is to it?
His cow towing to the evangelical right. (That's actually what turned me off to him first... his willingness to give Falwell and others a platform to bring conservative social issues to the fore).

His desire to see government fail (starve it) in order to reduce it.

Thomas Frank Books The Wrecking Crew

Amazon.com: Tear Down This Myth: How the Reagan Legacy Has Distorted Our Politics and Haunts Our Future (9781416597629): Will Bunch: Books

Don't hate him but definitely not a fan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies