U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,439,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
The police will ultimately decide what flies or not. Believe me, if these guys do not back off it does not matter about etiquette in the eyes of the law. If these are the same guys at the intersection and my lack of judgment is going to follow me with them on the road, after a while they are the heavy. And yes, if they are kids, they will learn that you get to be a harasser until age 18 and then it goes into a new realm of someone that police keep a file on.

I started it and it is up to who to let it go? What would the police say to this scenario? So far they are neutral and have a town to patrol. I told you in my post that this behavior has worsen over past years. People are yelling at me as I ride along the roadside and I have to let it be. I have the license plate of someone who is making an effort to taunt me when they see me on the road. When will they get over being dissed?
Why did you diss them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 AM

159 posts, read 452,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Why did you diss them?
I didn't say I was sorry for scaring the crap out of them at the intersection maybe? This begs the question too. What is road rage and does it happen with a car against a bicyclist? You do understand that road rage is something adults are not supposed to do, right?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,439,841 times
Quote:
I didn't say I was sorry for scaring the crap out of them at the intersection maybe? This begs the question too. What is road rage and does it happen with a car against a bicyclist? You do understand that road rage is something adults are not supposed to do, right?
But why did you diss them? You were clearly in the wrong so why did you diss them?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,607,694 times
I hate to say this, but I've been on the other side of this issue myself a time or two.

The road to my house is a numbered state highway. It's two lane, narrow, curvy and without shoulders. Generally, it carries a fairly large volume of traffic as it's the only numbered highway going east out of the nearby larger town.

Especially on summer weekends, bike riders (including motorcycles) like to gather up in pairs or bunches and take a leisurely cruise several miles out to an old, historical railroad bridge. They creep along enjoying the day while traffic stacks up behind them. Automobile drivers have to wait for oncoming traffic to clear out so they can pass these inconsiderate jerks who seem to think everyone else should admire their dedication to healthy living or oogle their new Harley's. Sometimes, you can be caught behind them for a mile or two, depending upon traffic that day. There are other, less traveled county roads which would take them to the same destination, but for some reason they prefer to exercise their "right" to inconvenience everyone else on the main road. Often, there will be groups of them spread out for a mile or more, rather than staying in a tight bunch, and that means other drivers have to pass them several times.

There have been times when it got so frustrating that I had a few, choice words to say to them as I passed. The bike rider might see that as harrassment, or even dangerous as you have to get close enough to them for them to hear what you've got to say about their arrogant refusal to make way, but from the vantage point of the automobile driver, THEY are the ones doing the harrassing by refusing to acknowledge that other people have places to go too and don't want to spend time following along at a snails pace watching their azzes up in the air.

The point is that before you start something with other drivers, or pursue your vision of vengence, ask yourself this: Am I creating a hazard for drivers by biking this particular route? Are they trapped behind me and unable to pass until oncoming traffic clears out? Do I HAVE to use this road, or are there others I can use? Am I doing all I can to accomodate vehicular traffic while I'm on the road, or am I claiming my "right" to space on the road just because I can?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,222,776 times
OP - as you believe the auto driver endangered you I suggest filing a prompt formal report with the police. Do this every time you are harrassed. It is your right and duty to do this.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 AM

27,181 posts, read 17,504,476 times
Quote:
... You see, at the intersection, I waited at the red light and then seeing the coast was clear attempted to cross to the other side. I was too early as that car came to the intersection from the other side to make a left hand turn. I probably was a third of the way out into the road before realizing that the oncoming car was coming into the lane I wanted to cross. So yeah, they were probably ticked at me and I let it go as I realized that I jack rabbited too soon ( hence best wait at red lights on a bike until they turn green and lessen chances of being in the wrong and other legal woes).
I suspect that you are on to something. I see a large number of bicyclists that ignore traffic laws (such as running red lights), "lane splitting", riding on sidewalks and crosswalks and riding 2 or more wide across vehicle lanes, holding up traffic. In addition, they pay no registration fees or have insurance on their vehicles. Actions of a number of bicyclists gives all a bad name (no different than other user groups). Sorry you are on the receiving end of this kind of animosity.

Are you riding on a narrow, 2-lane road, and holding up traffic? Do you ride as close to the side of the road as possible, to facilitate safe passing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies