U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,119,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Personally, I think the thread has some interesting parallels.
You believe that there is a parallel between that hard sciences of climate change and those of a social nature? Is it really your contention that the ability to comment on social/political issues requires the same expertise required to critique the physics underlying theorems of climate change?

Further, the thread's main contention is that the author has never heard of Chomsky's contribution to linguistics which would think would be more than reason enough to call into question the OP's, shall we say, limited education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 AM

16,284 posts, read 9,125,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You believe that there is a parallel between that hard sciences of climate change and those of a social nature? Is it really your contention that the ability to comment on social/political issues requires the same expertise required to critique the physics underlying theorems of climate change?

Further, the thread's main contention is that the author has never heard of Chomsky's contribution to linguistics which would think would be more than reason enough to call into question the OP's, shall we say, limited education.

well I suppose part of the disconnect you are seeing is the failure to understand that climate change science isnt exactly "hard"

Yes the physics is "hard" but the physics isnt where the debate rages.

Those with serious understanding of the AGW debate know there is a "softer" more subjective side where all the serious debates are raging.

and my contention is that Liberals generally appeal to education and let the rest of us know we are too stupid and uneducated to comment. When you have a guy like Chom talking, liberals however discount the fact he has no serious cred on the political social side and just say "he is S M R T" and leave it at that.

there is a connection. there is hypocricy. these are not new things for liberals.

And I suspect you fail to grasp the OPs intent. However I believe my point is well in keeping with the intent of the thread itself...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 AM

12,273 posts, read 11,335,343 times
To say Chomsky is smart is like calling the Corvette a limited success.

His genuine insight into the problems of the United Sates is looked to by millions of people worldwide. Accordingly, when people (perhaps yourself) do not agree with his opinions the labeling of him begins. You can disagree with him...not a problem but throwing rocks won't really sully his attractiveness to both the left and the right. He is respected, eminent and successful.

His tenure in Linguistics at MIT should call for respect not a simple criticism from the local lazy boy recliner.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,176,253 times
Here's an interview with him about linguistics:

YouTube - ‪The Ideas of Chomsky-BBC interview‬‏

If you do a minimal amount of searching, you can find many videos of him talking about linguistics that have been uploaded to the internet. Also, he still lectures on it - stop by Boston and sit in on one if you're that interested.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,687,161 times
Quote:
well I suppose part of the disconnect you are seeing is the failure to understand that climate change science isnt exactly "hard"

Those with serious understanding of the AGW debate know there is a "softer" more subjective side where all the serious debates are raging.

and my contention is that Liberals generally appeal to education and let the rest of us know we are too stupid and uneducated to comment. When you have a guy like Chom talking, liberals however discount the fact he has no serious cred on the political social side and just say "he is S M R T" and leave it at that.

there is a connection. there is hypocricy. these are not new things for liberals.

And I suspect you fail to grasp the OPs intent. However I believe my point is well in keeping with the intent of the thread itself...
Despite what you think, an enormous number of people feel that Chomsky has plenty of credibility when it comes to political issues, and as an intellectual he is perhaps one of the most credited.

If you have any particular bones to pick with Chomsky's arguments, maybe we could discuss that? Or, if you wish, you can continue trying to interpret the intent of an OP who has yet to return to the thread and whose basic contention is demonstrably false.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,119,175 times
Quote:
So is it now your proposition that the science behind climate change isn't hard? Am I supposed to think that climatologist utilize ouija boards and divining sticks instead of computer modeling, geology, isotope hydrology, and yes physics?

Quote:
Well you got that one right, the only place the "debate wages" is within those political/economic circles where acceptance of climate change threatens their pocket books and claims to political power.

Quote:
my contention is that Liberals generally appeal to education and let the rest of us know we are too stupid and uneducated to comment.

Back in the day when conservatives were well read, fearless of intellectual debate, liberals didn't need to make that point and I hasten to point out that they if the listen to the those few remaining conservatives they seem to be making the same claim regarding their looney Republican brethren as of late.
When you have a guy like Chom talking, liberals however discount the fact he has no serious cred on the political social side and just say "he is S M R T" and leave it at that.[/quote]

Here's the deal, while I am no fan of Noam Chomsky, never have been and never will be, it would be the height of intellectual dishonesty for anyone to proffer that Chomsky, with over 100 published titles on politics alone, lacks serious credibility as a political philosopher. Such a proffer would be as ridiculous are arguing that William F. Buckley the founding intellectual of modern American conservatism was vastly unqualified to do so because he only possessed a mere bachelor's degree from Yale.

Frankly, it is a topic unworthy of consideration.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:44 AM

20,021 posts, read 15,739,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I am
just lost for words, linguistically speaking.
Yeah, I get that a lot from others. Not from colleagues mind you, as I still maintain the pretense that I'm progressive.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 AM

25,165 posts, read 48,447,115 times
Do we really need a professor on linguistics? lol.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM

20,021 posts, read 15,739,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do we really need a professor on linguistics? lol.
Not one like Noam, no. Most of the linguistic researchers I know and work with are much more practical and grounded than the fru fru abstract garbage he deals with. All he does now is talk, and his publication history is kind of nonexistent post-2000. Compare Jurafsky's work with Chomsky's and you'll see my point.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,687,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Not one like Noam, no. Most of the linguistic researchers I know and work with are much more practical and grounded than the fru fru abstract garbage he deals with. All he does now is talk, and his publication history is kind of nonexistent post-2000. Compare Jurafsky's work with Chomsky's and you'll see my point.
You're comparing a scholar who received his B.A. in 1949 to a scholar who received his B.A. in 1983. A professor emeritus to a full professor. To try to use the latter in order to point up the lack of productivity of the former is disingenuous at best.

Compare:

MIT Department of Linguistics: People: Faculty: Noam Chomsky: Publications

Dan Jurafsky's Publications

Yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies