U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:10 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,902,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do we really need a professor on linguistics? lol.
I think you don't understand the importance of this field...especially where computer languages are involved.

Chomsky may not have done much in the past 10 years or so (distracted by politics?), but his contributions to computer science are significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,089,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My research involves computational linguistics, and I can tell you straight up that he hasn't contributed anything in the past 10 years. He also believes that statistical methods, ones which the community (including yours truly) have been getting millions in grants to investigate, are pointless. He's kind of a joke among many of us in the field. The neo-progs like the guy's statist viewpoint, but don't really admire his scholarly contributions other than CFGs.

Chomsky derides purely statistical methods « Replicated Typo (http://www.replicatedtypo.com/irreverant-and-irrelevant/chomsky-derides-purely-statistical-methods/3584/ - broken link)
Cognitive dissonance ...she takes grants...and rails about the nanny State.....too funny.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM

20,019 posts, read 15,737,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Cognitive dissonance ...she takes grants...and rails about the nanny State.....too funny.
You bet I take grants. I took a HAMP bailout too. I'm a "he" also.

We produce things with our grants. Noam just lectures. He's a has been, though he contributions back in the day were remarkable.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,089,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You bet I take grants. I took a HAMP bailout too. I'm a "he" also.
Pardon...your handle seemed feminine to me.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Pardon...you handle seemed feminine to me.
I'm all about the summer season.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 PM

16,284 posts, read 9,123,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Despite what you think, an enormous number of people feel that Chomsky has plenty of credibility when it comes to political issues, and as an intellectual he is perhaps one of the most credited.

If you have any particular bones to pick with Chomsky's arguments, maybe we could discuss that? Or, if you wish, you can continue trying to interpret the intent of an OP who has yet to return to the thread and whose basic contention is demonstrably false.

My personal view of Chomsky's credibility is irrelevant. What is relevant centers around where this credibility is derived. As has been stated, where linguistics is concerned, there is a certain credibility (even if Summers73 doesn’t agree).

However, it cannot be stated that Chomsky’s credibility related to politics is derived from his study. This leaves us asking the question. Where does his credibility then come from? The answer can only be related to what he is saying. Those “enormous” numbers of people who find him credible do so because of what he says and not because of how he came to his conclusions.

This is the point of hypocrisy I find with the left. Chomsky is held as a giant in politics while the left lambasts others they disagree with, not because of what they say but because of how they came to the conclusions.

I wonder if Chom would appreciate the philosophical nature of the argument? I am sure he would disagree none the less… LOL

Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,488,100 times
Noam Chomsky bibliography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
looks like he's been pretty active writing about linguistics for the past 60 years.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,902,502 times
He's a smart guy but very much an academic. His expectations of the real world will always be rigid and unrealistic.

Probably drives his lawyer crazy.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Noam Chomsky bibliography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
looks like he's been pretty active writing about linguistics for the past 60 years.
My misunderstanding. Normally one lists publications by publication date (categorized by year sometimes), but his looks to be ordered differently.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,687,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
My personal view of Chomsky's credibility is irrelevant. What is relevant centers around where this credibility is derived. As has been stated, where linguistics is concerned, there is a certain credibility (even if Summers73 doesn’t agree).

However, it cannot be stated that Chomsky’s credibility related to politics is derived from his study. This leaves us asking the question. Where does his credibility then come from? The answer can only be related to what he is saying. Those “enormous” numbers of people who find him credible do so because of what he says and not because of how he came to his conclusions.

This is the point of hypocrisy I find with the left. Chomsky is held as a giant in politics while the left lambasts others they disagree with, not because of what they say but because of how they came to the conclusions.

I wonder if Chom would appreciate the philosophical nature of the argument? I am sure he would disagree none the less… LOL
Your premise is faulty, since it requires you to make a premature judgment w/r/t why people listen to Chomsky. Plenty of people find him credible because he says the things in a way which suggests that he has thoroughly investigated the subject he is discussing, otherwise he would be far less reputable in academic circles than he is. He's not someone to take without a grain of salt, but he isn't someone who popular simply because he's saying the fashionable thing.

Also, this is not a very philosophical argument, and indeed you have reached your conclusion before you made your first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies