Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

I'm sick and tired of the Left using the military as their guinea pig for their social experiments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Wow...just when I start to have faith in humanity again, I read a steaming pile of homophobic garbage like this thread.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm sick and tired of the Left using the military as their guinea pig for their social experiments
It's not a social experiment when every other modern country in the world has been doing it for years.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
I am sick and tired of the right using bigotry to promote their agenda.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The poster who you are castigating, is simply putting into words what most of the upper echelon already know. There are MANY men and women in the armed forces that will feel uncomfortable serving with an openly gay member.
Why? If the person was already gay, and they've been serving next to them for years, what exactly does knowing they're gay change?

Quote:
Whether it be that they don't like homosexuality, or they are simply uncomfortable with someone who will look at them the same way the someone of the opposite sex would, it really doesn't matter. The bottom line, is for one reason or another, they are uncomfortable.
Too bad.

Quote:
Please don't use the black vs white thing, this is a bit different, and until men and women are all using the same bathrooms/showers/living arrangements simultaneously with disregard to male/female sexuality, then there will be some people who are uncomfortable with it.
I think Americans are the only ones with this issue. That applies to everyday life too. Men and women share saunas, bathrooms, showers, etc. completely naked in many parts of Europe.

Quote:
Additionally, Telling someone who joined the Armed Forces they have to live with this, is unfair, as they joined, many with the understanding that this would not happen. Telling the Men and Women to buck up or leave, the very same people who are ready to offer their lives to protect this country is unfair, and will in fact lead to many people leaving.
The military does not give you the right to be upset with your living arrangements. You signed on knowing full well you would be giving up many of your typical rights as a civilian. And while many military members do intentially join to protect this country, I guarantee you a huge chunk of the military joined solely for the paycheck and benefits.

Quote:
How many people here really want to see the people who are ready to die to protect this country leave, and how many people are willing to take their place?
Our military is way too big as it is. If we stopped acting like an empire bent on ruling the world, we wouldn't need so many people in the military.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:06 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Joining the rest of the civilized world is a "social experiment"?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Your comment reflects the repulsive, filthy lifestyle you defend and support.

Those so-called 'modern countries' you refer to.....are uncivilized, barbarian cultures....whose people have been coming to America in droves for years.....to escape social depravity breed by vile people of the land.
Don't you think you are a bit over the top with the hate language?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why? If the person was already gay, and they've been serving next to them for years, what exactly does knowing they're gay change?

Too bad.

I think Americans are the only ones with this issue. That applies to everyday life too. Men and women share saunas, bathrooms, showers, etc. completely naked in many parts of Europe.

The military does not give you the right to be upset with your living arrangements. You signed on knowing full well you would be giving up many of your typical rights as a civilian. And while many military members do intentially join to protect this country, I guarantee you a huge chunk of the military joined solely for the paycheck and benefits.

Our military is way too big as it is. If we stopped acting like an empire bent on ruling the world, we wouldn't need so many people in the military.
1. It changes things, whether YOU like it or not. That change can get someone killed. Someone hesitates, someone reacts different. A change in the dynamics of a military unit can be disastrous. Of course ANY military person knows this. It's too bad that those making decisions, can't make them from a position of having been there.

2 That "too bad" can be just that. Maybe you should be the one who goes the the house of someones parent, or significant other and tell them why they died... Then you can tell them, with a shrug, "Too Bad".

3. Americans are not the only ones with issues. Differing cultures, have differing issues.

4. Yes a lot of military members signed on for a paycheck, I wasn't one of them. I had a promising career, and actually joined when almost 23. So while many joined for a paycheck, many joined for patriotic reasons.

5. No matter what reason, and whether or not you personally believe that our military is too large, what is about to happen will have nothing but ugly results. (BTW have you seen how large the Chinese army is?). Phased in over a period of time is the best way.

I would love to see total integration, without problems, and accepted by all, but it's just not going to happen this week, and forcing the issue, is going to have results quite unlike the desired ones.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
your mate served not you. i dont care if gays serve or not. I on the other hand served 8 years as well and left my blood in panama and saudi arabia in 90-91.
WOW......you can read.......what's your point.....fifth graders can read!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
ANYONE in the Armed Forces of the these United states, represents and fights for ALL Americans.

The poster who you are castigating, is simply putting into words what most of the upper echelon already know. There are MANY men and women in the armed forces that will feel uncomfortable serving with an openly gay member.

Whether it be that they don't like homosexuality, or they are simply uncomfortable with someone who will look at them the same way the someone of the opposite sex would, it really doesn't matter. The bottom line, is for one reason or another, they are uncomfortable.

Please don't use the black vs white thing, this is a bit different, and until men and women are all using the same bathrooms/showers/living arrangements simultaneously with disregard to male/female sexuality, then there will be some people who are uncomfortable with it.

Additionally, Telling someone who joined the Armed Forces they have to live with this, is unfair, as they joined, many with the understanding that this would not happen. Telling the Men and Women to buck up or leave, the very same people who are ready to offer their lives to protect this country is unfair, and will in fact lead to many people leaving.

How many people here really want to see the people who are ready to die to protect this country leave, and how many people are willing to take their place?

Now with that being said, I look forward to the day that anyone who wants to join the armed forces may, and can serve without discrimination, being accepted by all.
OH boy......same old tired, illogical and frankly "*****" rhetoric. I'd be more worried about bullets flying over my head than the crap you're whining about!

YouTube - ‪Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River [Lyrics]‬‏

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 07-10-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies