Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That's nice. All that wasted energy trying to get re-elected could be focused on working out a deal instead.

CHANGE!
The Republicans seem to be the ones much more concerned with the 2012 election right now. All their energy is focused on sabotaging Obama so he loses next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The Republicans seem to be the ones much more concerned with the 2012 election right now. All their energy is focused on sabotaging Obama so he loses next year.
I didn't say the Republicans weren't posturing for 2012. I merely said Obama is wasting energy on re-election hopes.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
But Congress has to pay back all that they borrowed from the SS fund.
What will they do..just cancel out the debt Congress owes and call it good ?

And why are they cutting a program that workers contribute to ?

Heck..end the damn thing and send me back my money; I'll do a better job of managing it.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Heck..end the damn thing and send me back my money; I'll do a better job of managing it.
That's the thing. The radical right conveniently ignores the fact people who work pay into SS for many years. Instead of "entitlement program", the correct term should be, "obligation program."

If they want to send back my money, fine. I'll be happy to throw it into a Roth IRA instead.

It's not my fault the government has consistently raided the SS fund for many years. If they just left the money there and used it for what it was earmarked, we'd be fine.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
That's the thing. The radical right conveniently ignores the fact people who work pay into SS for many years. Instead of "entitlement program", the correct term should be, "obligation program."

If they want to send back my money, fine. I'll be happy to throw it into a Roth IRA instead.

It's not my fault the government has consistently raided the SS fund for many years. If they just left the money there and used it for what it was earmarked, we'd be fine.
Yeah..like SS is right up there with welfare and food stamps.
SS is not your typical "entitlement" program when you've paid into it for decades upon decades each and every paycheck.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:

Doubtful.

Firstly, the government does not have some little bank somewhere where they store Social Security revenue and then raid it later. It goes into the general fund which itself is depleted instantly which is why we run huge deficits.

Secondly, you put something like 6.2 % and your employee matches that for Social Security. Would saving 12.4 percent yearly and earning T-bill rates of return be enough to sustain a retirment that could last 30 years?

Not to mention that your 12.4 percent contribution goes to support numerous folks who have payed little or squat into the system.

Look, radical right or not, if the government took a chunk of our change, invested it efficiently, the program ran a surplus, and we could all, demographics or not, retire in a hunk dory fashion, this would not be an issue.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..like SS is right up there with welfare and food stamps.
SS is not your typical "entitlement" program when you've paid into it for decades upon decades each and every paycheck.
Problem is that money was spent long ago. The promise of being repaid was bogus. We wanted to be involved in Vietnam, the Gulf, Afghanistan, wanted Medicare prescription drugs on the cheap, etc. That's where the money went.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Doubtful.

Firstly, the government does not have some little bank somewhere where they store Social Security revenue and then raid it later. It goes into the general fund which itself is depleted instantly which is why we run huge deficits.

Secondly, you put something like 6.2 % and your employee matches that for Social Security. Would saving 12.4 percent yearly and earning T-bill rates of return be enough to sustain a retirment that could last 30 years?

Not to mention that your 12.4 percent contribution goes to support numerous folks who have payed little or squat into the system.

Look, radical right or not, if the government took a chunk of our change, invested it efficiently, the program ran a surplus, and we could all, demographics or not, retire in a hunk dory fashion, this would not be an issue.
No, it goes into the SS Trust Fund which Congress has borrowed from.
Congress "borrowed" SS funds and put into the General Fund and left IOU's in the SS Trust Fund.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think the Pres knows the GOP will not offer anything. Just laying the ground work for 14th Amendment action and more 2012 campaign talking points. ie. "The GOP still just works for the wealthy".
I think so and this is a huge move on the dems part pinning the right in the corner. The left are proposing colossal spending cuts and now can hammer the right why they won't match that with cuts to things like defense and the tax cuts for the rich, which they will not give up. This will be a shining example that the dems are on the side of fiscal sanity and the republicans only care about bankrolling the rich and their corporate masters.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
There will be no real progress made as long as McConnell and other Republicans hold firm to their obstinate "no new taxes, no negotiations!" stand point.
The budget could have been balanced by modest increases in the tax rate on the wealthy and modest cuts to defense. No cuts to middle class entitlements were needed.

Anybody could do that for themselves here. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...s-graphic.html

The GOP will agree to minor cosmetic increases in taxes so that they can get what the really desire...the destruction of the US middle class.

I feel sad for those that know what's about to happen. It's a slow motion car wreck thirty years in the making.

We've finally reached the point where the middle class will screw over their kids and grandkids to keep from having to disbelieve their right wing witch doctors.

But on the other hand all these right wing lemmings asked for it......I hope they suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies