Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
with 0bama spending $1.5 trillion in deficits each year, cutting $400 billion a year is not going to accomplish anything.

obama grew the federal budget by 18%, and added tens of thousands of new federal jobs, since he took office, its simple, cut it all out, and return to 2004 spending levels. We can cut departments like the EPA in half, get rid of the federal department of education, and end all the billions of taxpayer dollars that are handouts to corporations and political and ideological cronies. then we can follow the ryan plan, or a very similar type of plan, and bring sanity back to this government.
Well here's another one that doesn't know what they are talking about.

95% of "Obama's" increases spending was unemployment benefits and increased medicare rolls do to the downturn in the economy.

What you are asking for is to cut those programs.

It had nothing to do whatsover with new discretional spendiing on Obama's part on poor or middle class programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Only liberal/progressive Democrats , along with a pitiful handfull of libertarian GOPers call for serious cuts in defense spending.

But the liberarians are gleefull Americans will have their benefit cuts so they're a mixed bag.
The only thing liberal/progressive Democrats ever want to cut is the military, they want to expand federal programs and increase spending on everything else.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Well here's another one that doesn't know what they are talking about.

95% of "Obama's" increases spending was unemployment benefits and increased medicare rolls do to the downturn in the economy.

What you are asking for is to cut those programs.

It had nothing to do whatsover with new discretional spendiing on Obama's part on poor or middle class programs.
You are being too simple minded, the 18% increase to the size of the federal budget was not made up of simply unemployment checks, and 0bama signed legislation to cut $500 billion to Medicare.

0bama came into office and immediately added about 100,000 new federal employees, he grew the federal government, no i'm not referring to federal assitance for unemployment checks.

The Obama administration says the government will grow to 2.15 million employees this year, topping 2 million for the first time since President Clinton declared that “the era of big government is over” and joined forces with a Republican-led Congress in the 1990s to pare back the federal work force.

Most of the increases are on the civilian side, which will grow by 153,000 workers, to 1.43 million people, in fiscal 2010.

Largest-ever federal payroll to hit 2.15 million - Washington Times

Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Krugman destroys this right wing myth that Obama's temporary increase in Federal employee hiring did much to increase the deficit.

Hey, Small Spender - NYTimes.com

Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Left to their own devices, most people would not know how to fund or manage a 401k or other retirement plan. You are fortunate if your plan is healthy and hopefully it will be in a healthy state when you are retired and disbursements start. Having most, or all, of one's retirement in market driven investments is risky due mostly to the volatility of the market.

That being said, I, like many Americans, have paid SS tax for 35 years or so. So I naturally would like to see a benefit from it. Not a handout but at least reimbursement for my contributions. That is a normal reaction. To see the age of collection continually pushed back or to contemplate getting zero in return is naturally upsetting.

The extent of my conservatism comes here where I think the focus should be on the spending side (aren't we middle class taxed enough?) where questionable doesn't begin to describe it.
I have been paying into it even longer. I certainly would like something back as well, but reality is just that.

You are correct that a great many people lack knowledge regarding retirement planning. Not to insult you, but I would count you among them due to your remark on volatility of the market.

To explain in brief: If someone is saving money to retire and they are 20, 30, 40, 50 or even just 15 years from retiring, why should they care about volatility? A long time horizon alleviates volatility risk. This is money that you will use decades from now. As retirement age approaches, you switch to safer, more conservative investments.

But yes, many could not plan for retirement. Has our government somehow done a better job?

As for the health of my 401(K), at this very second the Dow is at 12,706.17. Why in the name of God would anyone call that anything but healthy?

Sorry to be caustic Bro. I am not a rich man. But I will be damned if I am going to spend retirment counting my Social Security pittance. I have plans.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Krugman destroys this right wing myth that Obama's temporary increase in Federal employee hiring did much to increase the deficit.

Hey, Small Spender - NYTimes.com
Methinks the Krugman Keynesian Klan missed all the signs on the highway lately.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
He's full of garbage. He'll just come back and say hey I wanted to cut SS but those evil republicans wont agree to it.

"A congressional aide, close to the negotiations, said the only real talks going on are between Obama and House Speaker John Boehner, who are discussing "in good faith" a $4 to $5 trillion debt reduction package."

Good faith. LOL. I'll believe it when it's put in a bill nobody reads.
and it will boil down to: it is all the fault of the GOP, maybe even GW fault or better yet, Reagans.

NIta

Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Methinks the Krugman Keynesian Klan missed all the signs on the highway lately.
Methinks you believe only what fits your ideology.

Here's a study naming Krugman the most accurate pundit.

And your cue to tell all about how "liberal" and "unfair" those professors are to god fearing, white, country folk.

http://www.hamilton.edu/documents/An...ical-Media.pdf

Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Old farts will soon realize that the money was spent long ago. Either their entitlements will buy much less through inflation or they will have their benefits cut/stripped.
It will be the former. The debt will be paid with ever cheaper dollars until an entire SS check will only buy a carton of milk. Problem solved. Same with all the money we owe the Chinese.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, they sure as heck aren't going to vote Republican!

We know who really wants to cut social security, and it isn't Obama or the Democrats.
And yet Obama IS considering cutting Social Security....

But he probably will feel bad about doing so and the useful idiots will still vote for him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies