Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Why the hell is Obama always caving? Negoiating isn't one side saying "We want.." and the other side saying "ok". Can anybody name one instance where Obama said "No! This is off the table and that's final!"?
Nope. And if his base keeps tolerating this then they will get the respect they deserve......Zilch.

Sometimes you've got to cut your losses and let the lemmings have enough rope to hang themselves.

It will be short term loss but a long term gain. ...don't vote for the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Nope. And if his base keeps tolerating this then they will get the respect they deserve......Zilch.

Sometimes you've got to cut your losses and let the lemmings have enough rope to hang themselves.

It will be short term loss but a long term gain. ...don't vote for the guy.
His base would vote for him no matter what....party first,party always.

Same goes for the party faithful on the right.

Sad really.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Why the hell is Obama always caving? Negoiating isn't one side saying "We want.." and the other side saying "ok". Can anybody name one instance where Obama said "No! This is off the table and that's final!"?
The Auto Bailout.

Obama rammed through a deal that looted billions in capital from private investors and more billions from the Treasury to take care of his pets in the UAW. Even staunch supporters like Warren Buffett were aghast at the railroading of the people who provided capital to build the plants and pay the wages over the years.

This isn't a testament to Obama's manliness, but to his ignorance and cowardice.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I think it is a power play on his part. Everyone will know that he is contemplating cutting SS because that's the only way the republicans will play. How's that going to make the R's look? Not too good...

And your byline...you know that is a quotation from a movie, right?
Obama said it, but he didn't make it up.
Nor did Reagan make up the trust but verify quote, that was in old Russian proverb, and Churchill never even used that if you're not a liberal at age 20 quote.

Also "Separation of church and state" NOT a Hitler quote. Can anybody verify that Hitler even said that? I've googled it and can't find anything.

Debunking the Churchill one was easy. The official website of the Churchill Centre and Museum at the Churchill War Rooms, London has a Leading Churchill Myths link and I think they'd know more about Churchill then some website like www.quotes.com

Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The Auto Bailout.

Obama rammed through a deal that looted billions in capital from private investors and more billions from the Treasury to take care of his pets in the UAW. Even staunch supporters like Warren Buffett were aghast at the railroading of the people who provided capital to build the plants and pay the wages over the years.

This isn't a testament to Obama's manliness, but to his ignorance and cowardice.
Pay attention independents.......this is the side to the right of you....These are the people who vote for the GOP.

Blaming the auto industry bailout on Obama when it was Bush's baby.

On December 19, George W. Bush announced that he had approved the bailout plan, which would give loans of $17.4 billion to U.S. automakers GM and Chrysler, stating that under present economic conditions, "allowing the U.S. auto industry to collapse is not a responsible course of action."[77] Bush provided $13.4 billion now, with another $4 billion available in February 2009. Funds would be made available from the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.[78] General Motors would get $9.4 billion, and Chrysler $4 billion.[79]

Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No, no , NO.

I am saying that the long term time horizon- aka many years until retirement- pretty much neutrilizes market volatility. Of course markets are volatile. They're markets; places where buyers and sellers meet. How else should they be?

If you had retired around 5 years ago, you would not have been exposed to those problems because most people move towards more conservative investment vehicles the closer the get to retirment.

On the other hand, if you were saving for a car or a vacation to Paris, you would not use stocks or related securities because your time horizon is probably a few months to a year.

Or, I started saving for my kid's education the week he was born. Time Horizon = 18 years. So I am not going to put it in a bond or MM fund. I am reasonably certain that the stock market will have more value 18 years from now.

As I said, I have thrown a lot in SS as well. We both were coerced into a Ponzi Scheme.
OK. Take it easy. I get the concept. You make good points but I now am offended with the . My only choice is to throw a few back because of it... and then out of childish frustration and a lack of knowledge a few more then wait until I figure out a witty response and ultimately be pissed and bite my tongue because of the state of the Ponzi / SS scheme.
You have a nice day!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I did not see any details in the article and as we all know the Devil is in the details. Screw Americans out of SS or Medicare and watch your politcal career vanish in the blink of an eye, that includes Dems and Repubs. Just stating the reality don't like it don't bi*ch to me you are up against a huge number of Americans that can and will show their opinion at the polls.
How about instead of cutting funds to Americans we cut funds to other countries all over the world, especially those that are not our friends, jeeez what a thought
Casper

Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I did not see any details in the article and as we all know the Devil is in the details. Screw Americans out of SS or Medicare and watch your politcal career vanish in the blink of an eye, that includes Dems and Repubs. Just stating the reality don't like it don't bi*ch to me you are up against a huge number of Americans that can and will show their opinion at the polls.
How about instead of cutting funds to Americans we cut funds to other countries all over the world, especially those that are not our friends, jeeez what a thought
Casper
Obama is outsmarting the Repubs again. The long term solution will eventually be something close to Bowles/Simpson. The Pres is pretty sure the Repubs will follow Norquist's orders, Cantor will continue to try to unseat Boehner and they will still not offer anything. The adult, Obama, will exercise the authority of the Constitution 14th, raise the debt limit. That is rightful and for the good of the Country. The Repubs will look even more foolish for 2012, the TPers will be flustered in his using , gasp, the Constitution against them. At least that's the view of this Centrist that Centrist, Obama.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post

OK. Take it easy. I get the concept. You make good points but I now am offended with the . My only choice is to throw a few back because of it... and then out of childish frustration and a lack of knowledge a few more then wait until I figure out a witty response and ultimately be pissed and bite my tongue because of the state of the Ponzi / SS scheme.
You have a nice day!
You too.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Pay attention independents.......this is the side to the right of you....These are the people who vote for the GOP.

Blaming the auto industry bailout on Obama when it was Bush's baby.

On December 19, George W. Bush announced that he had approved the bailout plan, which would give loans of $17.4 billion to U.S. automakers GM and Chrysler, stating that under present economic conditions, "allowing the U.S. auto industry to collapse is not a responsible course of action."[77] Bush provided $13.4 billion now, with another $4 billion available in February 2009. Funds would be made available from the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.[78] General Motors would get $9.4 billion, and Chrysler $4 billion.[79]
I think GW did the right thing and give him credit for doing that as well as the Wall Street plan as far as it went, it didn't address Main Street. But Main St is not something any Repub puts any value to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies