U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM

561 posts, read 436,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I earn 60k and pay ZERO in federal income OR payroll taxes, but get killed at the state and local level
If you "pay ZERO" in payroll taxes (i.e., Social Security and Medicare), then you're breaking the law.

Bragging about it on the Internet may not be a wise move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Pretty much every post in this thread is a one sided he said, she said. None of you has mentioned the impact on the yuan on the manufacturing situation. Also, that people don't pay taxes doesn't mean that they aren't struggling.

The idiot partisans on both sides of the political equation are basically the reason why we have this mess. If people pulled their heads out of their respective rectums and stopped being manipulated then things would be much better around here.
Ditto !

Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM

6,111 posts, read 5,066,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The Republicans are for the makers and the Democrats are for the takers.

The top 10% income earners pay 70% of all federal income taxes. Who is supporting whom?

The top 10% of American earners control 88% of the national net assets or wealth, the remaining 90% only have 12% of the nations net assets yet they have to pay 30% of the nation's taxes. Something is a little bit cockeyed here.

Republicans like to wail over the fact that a lot of low income earners get the EITC or pay no federal income tax. What they don't say is that under our convaluted Federal Tax Code people in these tax brackets are paying no tax because they have no taxable income after the income deductions they may be entiled to. But they pay taxes like FICA and you don't get that back and the government has been faithfully taxing his earnings each and every pay period. So the government has a free loan and you end up having to file a tax return to get your money back. If you don't they keep it. I don't know of a single case where the IRS goes and hunts down a tax payer to give him his money back!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Giva an example of GOP policy that has been favorable to NON UNIONIZED MIDDLE CLASS WORKERS. Please.
The "Right to Work" laws in South Carolina helped this non union state attract 2,000+ non union manufacturing jobs building the new Boeing 787 dream Liner. Unionized Washington state will be the loser here.

Chalk one up for the good guys.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 PM

19,746 posts, read 14,170,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Hey Republicans... what about struggling American workers? Taxpayers have given corporations and the rich low tax rates, subsidies, their jobs, and relaxed regulations for thirty years and nothing has trickled down.
Well, no, it did trickle down, but you spent it as fast as you got it, and you spent it on nothing and so now you have nothing to show for it.

Congratulations.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,453,816 times
As a self employed American all I can say is things are getting better for me.I look at our roots and history for direction. yeah I am just a carpenter but I sell myself, I would never be a slave yes man for any body or company. I am a free Man. and I find my own work,try it you might like it. works for me

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Low income earners pay taxes like FICA and they don't get that back and the government has been faithfully taxing their earnings each and every pay period. So the government has a free loan and you end up having to file a tax return to get your money back. If you don't they keep it. I don't know of a single case where the IRS goes and hunts down a tax payer to give him his money back!
Shame on you if you get a 100% refund and don't change your W-4 to reduce your federal withholding to $0. The "free loan" you're complaining about is your choice.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,322,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, no, it did trickle down, but you spent it as fast as you got it, and you spent it on nothing and so now you have nothing to show for it.

Congratulations.
Yeah, but when the tax rebates rolled out a couple of years ago, Quickie-marts all across this great land had a boom going if you just look at the sales of beer, twinkies, and scratch-off lottery tickets.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,682,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
strugling workers???

the bottom 50% pays only 3% of the taxes..
The top 1% makes more than the bottom 90% combined. What do you want the bottom 50% to pay with, animal pelts?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,682,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Wasn't it the Obamas that said Americans need to lower their standard of living?
Could you find me that "quote"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies