U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Between Seattle and Portland
1,266 posts, read 2,982,958 times
Reputation: 1503

Advertisements

A Prius-driving friend of mine in California (yep, she's a tree-hugging, social-services-for-all, flaming liberal) sent me an email about what she saw in a Wal-Mart parking lot recently while on a road trip through the South.

She happened to park next to an expensive shiny new pickup with a bumper sticker reading "IF IT FLIES, IT DIES." In addition to the duck decals on the sticker, the owner had added silhouettes of hawks, eagles, and owls.

My friend used to volunteer in a raptor rehab center, so she admitted to me an almost irresistible urge to key this truck -- simply because the emotions stirred in her by the bumper sticker were so overwhelmingly negative. Then she remembered the security cameras and settled for kicking the truck's tire in frustration on her way into the store.

The irony, of course, is that she sports both Obama and abortion rights bumper stickers on her Prius, no doubt engendering a similar reaction from other people on the opposite side of the political spectrum. Maybe her tires have been kicked a few times, too.

So does your car or truck have a political or controversial bumper sticker? Are you comfortable with the reactions from other drivers?

Here's what happened to some people exercising their right to free speech on their vehicles:

Update on the ‘bum’ sticker controversy

Arizona Teacher Fired Over Bumper Sticker | Care2 Causes

Personally, I'm happy to drive a sticker-free car, keeping my views and opinions to myself. People seem to be on much shorter fuses today with road rage incidents since I last had a bumper sticker, one that read "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
 
3,511 posts, read 3,465,452 times
Reputation: 1357
why would i put stickers on my car?

theres a word for those people.

there called attention whores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: The D-M-V area
13,692 posts, read 16,531,380 times
Reputation: 9548
No way. But they're fun to read when you're stuck in traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 24,848,354 times
Reputation: 11724
My car is clean. The only bumper sticker I put on it was Sam Rohrer for governor (he's a Ron Paul type state representative). Other than that, I've never had one. Why is it that liberals always get into a tizzy and get physically violent whenever they see something they disagree with?

I've seen mostly those Coexist bumper stickers and seen lots of "gun control is using both hands", "proud redneck", and "Nobama" around here. And the odd holographic Confederate flag on the back window of the pickup
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 20,183,638 times
Reputation: 2508
NRA sticker count?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,321 posts, read 14,062,685 times
Reputation: 4913
The only thing on my car that could be remotely construed as offensive would be my Linux fish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 24,848,354 times
Reputation: 11724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
The only thing on my car that could be remotely construed as offensive would be my Linux fish.
I'd be using Linux if it wasn't such a headache to use the terminal for a lot of things
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
20,870 posts, read 19,869,212 times
Reputation: 18751
I would never mar my vehicle's bumper with a stupid sticker.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Riverside
4,088 posts, read 3,936,488 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
why would i put stickers on my car?

theres a word for those people.

there called attention whores.
I like bumper stickers! The back of my old pick-up is coated with them. I see it as just another opportunity to express my opinions. Kinda like posting on this board.

My stickers range from liberal and socialist causes and candidates, to bookstores, coffee shops, and surf shops. Things I endorse!

Although I'm in SoCal, I live in a conservative area. My stickers have provoked quite a few parking lot debates, some more pleasent than others, but no violence. I get a lot of thumbs-up, too. Plenty of liberal closet-cases here!

I did suffer a minor act of vandalism once. Somebody scratched my ACLU sticker off. Must have been one of those Republicans who "heart" the constitution so much!

Favorite sticker seen recently: "Only YOU can prevent narcissism"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
25,034 posts, read 15,542,217 times
Reputation: 7245
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
A Prius-driving friend of mine in California (yep, she's a tree-hugging, social-services-for-all, flaming liberal) sent me an email about what she saw in a Wal-Mart parking lot recently while on a road trip through the South.

She happened to park next to an expensive shiny new pickup with a bumper sticker reading "IF IT FLIES, IT DIES." In addition to the duck decals on the sticker, the owner had added silhouettes of hawks, eagles, and owls.

My friend used to volunteer in a raptor rehab center, so she admitted to me an almost irresistible urge to key this truck -- simply because the emotions stirred in her by the bumper sticker were so overwhelmingly negative. Then she remembered the security cameras and settled for kicking the truck's tire in frustration on her way into the store.

The irony, of course, is that she sports both Obama and abortion rights bumper stickers on her Prius, no doubt engendering a similar reaction from other people on the opposite side of the political spectrum. Maybe her tires have been kicked a few times, too.

So does your car or truck have a political or controversial bumper sticker? Are you comfortable with the reactions from other drivers?

Here's what happened to some people exercising their right to free speech on their vehicles:

Update on the ‘bum’ sticker controversy

Arizona Teacher Fired Over Bumper Sticker | Care2 Causes

Personally, I'm happy to drive a sticker-free car, keeping my views and opinions to myself. People seem to be on much shorter fuses today with road rage incidents since I last had a bumper sticker, one that read "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE."
I have this, does that count?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top