Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times

Advertisements

If you are of those who think taxes must be raised I invite you to educate us all as to why.

I am of the opinion we collect plenty of taxes in this country, even with half those who file a tax return paying nothing, to fund all that is necessary and our problem results from excessive spending. But you say we need to raise taxes so make your case. Convince us all.

You have the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 01:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
Taxes should be raised because politicians know better how to spend the money than us

Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,229 times
NO!

With JOB CREATION comes an increase in taxes collected.

The more people there are in the job market .. earning a paycheck .. equals a greater amount of taxes collected and in turn .. lessens the need for higher taxes on those that ACTUALLY WORK!

Liberals know this but don't care!
The more people dependent on Government .. is also a people .. More Likely to vote Liberal/Democrat!

Raising taxes destroys business incentive and destroys the job market along with it!

Ge-e-ez-e .. I just couldn't find an argument for raising taxes!
(guess you could tell by my NOT staying on subject!)

Last edited by MrClose; 07-09-2011 at 02:37 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
American's are quick to cry foul on anything related to altering their income, but in reality, all but the working poor are generally able to absorb tax increases, high gas prices, etc. The problem I have is not with higher taxes, it's with the lack of sacrifice that most American's are willing to make for the common good.

Lattes and BMW's are more important than national solvency. These folks are like a squeaky wheel, but in the end they just suck it up.

Of course, government has a responsiblity to cut spending where possible, but lets not candy coat it and make it seem as if most American's don't have room to absorb higher taxes. If personal austerity is what it takes, then so be it. That's life.

The working poor do not need tax increases. I support smart tax increases on the Middle Class and Up.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
American's are quick to cry foul on anything related to altering their income, but in reality, all but the working poor are generally able to absorb tax increases, high gas prices, etc. The problem I have is not with higher taxes, it's with the lack of sacrifice that most American's are willing to make for the common good.

Lattes and BMW's are more important than national solvency. These folks are like a squeaky wheel, but in the end they just suck it up.

Of course, government has a responsiblity to cut spending where possible, but lets not candy coat it and make it seem as if most American's don't have room to absorb higher taxes. If personal austerity is what it takes, then so be it. That's life.

The working poor do not need tax increases. I support smart tax increases on the Middle Class and Up.
You are a fool. What is the common good? Endless wars on the other side of the world? Let every single person have his BMW if that means there will be no money for any wars.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:20 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
If you are of those who think taxes must be raised I invite you to educate us all as to why.

I am of the opinion we collect plenty of taxes in this country, even with half those who file a tax return paying nothing, to fund all that is necessary and our problem results from excessive spending. But you say we need to raise taxes so make your case. Convince us all.

You have the floor.
I was a proponent of a LARGE war tax on corporations that monetarily benefited when Bush Jr. took us into Iraq and Afghanistan - wars of choice. Now, of course, you can add
President Obama to that pathetic list: guilty of war mongering and spending our tax dollars on something useless.

We all know Halliburton, but the list is quite large:

The 25 Most Vicious Iraq War Profiteers | Business Pundit

Yep, I'm for taxing the HELL out of them, because obviously they are the immoral equivalent of ....
unjust war. See, it comes full circle - how nice

Last edited by pollyrobin; 07-09-2011 at 04:31 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was a proponent of a LARGE war tax on corporations that monetarily benefited when Bush Jr. took us into Iraq and Afghanistan - wars of choice. Now, of course, you can add
President Obama to that pathetic list: guilty of war mongering and spending our tax dollars on something useless.

We all know Halliburton, but the list is quite large:

The 25 Most Vicious Iraq War Profiteers | Business Pundit

Yep, I'm for taxing the HELL out of them, because obviously they are the immoral equivalent of ....
unjust war. See, it comes full circle - how nice
a tax won't fix that problem.....

this is where i think you are wrong. i agree 100% that war profiteers need to be stopped. our citizens are being killed for financial gain.

the problem is that it is government enabled, government controlled, and government run.

why would any thinking person want to give more money to the government that facilitates this?

or this:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5316570.story

wall street commits fraud and pays a fine? could we get off that lightly? will justice ever be served?

governments are supposed to prosecute the bad guys. we don't have that in this country. so why pay tribute to a government that is unwilling to do so.....

Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
You are a fool. What is the common good? Endless wars on the other side of the world? Let every single person have his BMW if that means there will be no money for any wars.
Your post lacks intelligence. If you fail to understand what "common good" represents in America, then please refrain from responding to my posts. You have absolutely nothing to offer me.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:06 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
I'll give you a simple answer. For the past 3 years under Obama and 2 years under Bush taxes have remained the same while unemployment has risen. For the past 2 years, corporate profits have risen yet companies still have not employed people, they have kept the profits and given it to their shareholders. A service economy depends on money being put into circulation.

So if I buy something from a major company, and if that company takes that money I spent, and puts it back into the economy via of hiring a worker AND paying him a decent salary with the money they received from me, and then that worker spends the money, all is good. However, in the past 3 years companies have decided to stop that cycle. By refusing to hire workers and keeping that money for themselves in the form of profits, you have now taken that money out of circulation.

Does anyone remember when this whole mess started the three major news networks did the little stories on how dollars get circulated from person to person and small business, etc?

That's the problem. There is less money in circulation now than 5 years ago. The government didn't take it because they haven't raised taxes. Workers haven't taken it because income levels haven't risen. It was taken by companies, top executives, and banks. That's what the earnings report stated last week, that the average worker salary did not increase at all, while those of CEO's did and by a heck of a lot. According to news sources, CEO pay went up an average of 23 percent in 2010, while wages for rest of us rose a meager one-half-percent, according to a new report prepared for the New York Times. And how do they do this? A USA Today analysis of corporate filings through early July shows CEOs reaping huge 2011 payouts, largely due to stock option valuations up sharply from pre-recession levels. So companies are in fact making in most cases more profits and generating more money now than they did BEFORE the recession hit. Yet they still refuse to put money into circulation and hire workers. And how do they get away with this? Well once companies destroyed unions and states outlawed the practice of creating unions people do not go out on strike. Companies are now free to exploit the workers. In most cases workers are no better off now then they were at the beginning of the 20th century. Look at it from a company perspective: Why should a company pay a new person when they can squeeze more out of the workers they already have? They know the worker won't quit because the job situation is so bad. And if they do quit, a company can hire someone new who is so desparate for a job that they are willing to take less than the guy they just fired. That's what unions were created to prevent. And now wages for workers have dropped, and where did that money go? Not back into the economy, it went to CEO pockets. I have a brother in law who is a CEO of a semi-large company, he goes to seminiars were they are taught this. This is the model that companies are following right now.

Well what does a country do? How do you force a company to hire workers or at the least put the money it earns back into circulation for the good of the country? Don't point the finger at the government about this. Government really hasn't done all that much and their is not much the government can do in this situation.

Its all logical, and at some point people will wake up.

Last edited by arrgy; 07-09-2011 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 05:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post

You have the floor.
Rescind Bush Tax cuts across the board, brings $4T in Revenue. Basically, erase what the Heritage Foundation told GW to do. How Congress would use it, may be a big problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies