Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
And how would you fund the implementation of the infrastructure to support this?

How would that infrastructure be delivered if we were to follow your suggestion and rid the nation of the truck drivers you see no use for?

How would the already troubled economy absorb and support the millions of currently employed and productive individuals your pie in the sky solution would put out of work?

Your proposed solution is in no way based in reality.
There is no infrastructure to support it.

It relies on cellular networked cars with GPS and accurate surveys of existing roadways.

In other words, cars are so smart, that if you give them eyes (cameras), the ability to sense whats around them and coming ahead (cellular networked cars), along with GPS and accurate road surveys that are updated every minute with every new car or truck on the road, human drivers are no longer needed.

Trucks will be loaded for cross country trips on the interstate, and they will go from stop to stop on the side of the road where they are refueled. When they get to their destination, then a human driver can navigate side streets to the final warehouse or unload location.

This would drastically remove the need for human drivers, and likely reduce transportation costs for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Mexican trucks do not meet the US department of transportation standards?

I am sure NAFTA established transportation standards that truckers must meet. That is almost a 20 Trillion USD market. Imagine the amount of trucks involved in logistic/transportation.
No, Mexican trucks as a rule do not meet USDOT standards. Regardless of whether or not they did at their time of manufacture, lax maintenance and poorly enforced government standards allow their mechanical condition to deteriorate to standards that would get any US based struck shut down on the spot. Additionally Mexican and US hours of service rules differ dramatically. Allowing Mexican drivers unrestricted access to US highways is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by outbacknv; 07-10-2011 at 01:39 PM..

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Mexican trucks do not meet the US department of transportation standards?

I am sure NAFTA established transportation standards that truckers must meet. That is almost a 20 Trillion USD market. Imagine the amount of trucks involved in logistic/transportation.
They don't meet EPA standards and right now WE are paying via money from the EPA to upgrade them.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There is no infrastructure to support it.

It relies on cellular networked cars with GPS and accurate surveys of existing roadways.

In other words, cars are so smart, that if you give them eyes (cameras), the ability to sense whats around them and coming ahead (cellular networked cars), along with GPS and accurate road surveys that are updated every minute with every new car or truck on the road, human drivers are no longer needed.

Trucks will be loaded for cross country trips on the interstate, and they will go from stop to stop on the side of the road where they are refueled. When they get to their destination, then a human driver can navigate side streets to the final warehouse or unload location.

This would drastically remove the need for human drivers, and likely reduce transportation costs for everyone.
Technology has not yet evolved to support this in any large scale implementation.

You failed to answer the other questions in my post. Your solution advocates putting multiple millions of currently employed individuals out of work at a time of near record unemployment. We do not have the funds or resources available to compensate and retrain the pointlessly unemployed much less the employment opportunities to reintegrate them into the work force.

Your proposed solution would introduce millions of people to an unemployment system already struggling to meet current demands. In short, it's an abject failure from the word go.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Technology has not yet evolved to support this in any large scale implementation.

You failed to answer the other questions in my post. Your solution advocates putting multiple millions of currently employed individuals out of work at a time of near record unemployment. We do not have the funds or resources available to compensate and retrain the pointlessly unemployed much less the employment opportunities to reintegrate them into the work force.

Your proposed solution would introduce millions of people to an unemployment system already struggling to meet current demands.
Did you read the post I linked? Read up on it. Cars are already getting there, and within 10 years trucks will drive themselves. The military is already trying to implement it today for war zone convoys.

Yes, put millions of people out of work. I'm not worried about that, automation will do that with or without their consent.

Automated manufacturing, automatic elevators, ATM's, automated farm equipment, etc have all already happened, lowered prices for the most part, and moved the economy forward.

Do you think we shouldn't have invented cars because horse breeders were hurt by that?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Did you read the post I linked? Read up on it. Cars are already getting there, and within 10 years trucks will drive themselves. The military is already trying to implement it today for war zone convoys.

Yes, put millions of people out of work. I'm not worried about that, automation will do that with or without their consent.

Automated manufacturing, automatic elevators, ATM's, automated farm equipment, etc have all already happened, lowered prices for the most part, and moved the economy forward.

Do you think we shouldn't have invented cars because horse breeders were hurt by that?
Where's your much touted liberal empathy (don't even attempt to classify yourself a Libertarian again. You're anything but Libertarian)? How do you propose the millions suddenly unemployed support their families? Our essentially bankrupt government certainly can't afford to do it. Neither can taxpayers struggling to retain their houses amidst a seriously crumbling economy.

I won't even bother responding to the cars vs horses question due to it's overwhelmingly simplistic and asinine nature.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:46 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:

I guess we should blow ourselves up then so these trucker convoys have free reign to distribute?? Get real.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Where's your much touted liberal empathy (don't even attempt to classify yourself a Libertarian again. You're anything but Libertarian)? How do you propose the millions suddenly unemployed support their families? Our essentially bankrupt government certainly can't afford to do it. Neither can taxpayers struggling to retain their houses amid a seriously crumbling economy.

I won't even bother responding to the cars vs horses question due to it's overwhelmingly simplistic and asinine nature.
Who in the hell told you I'm a liberal? They lied to you.

Yes, I propose to put people out of jobs that are obsolete. That isn't liberal or conservative, its realistic.

We don't have people shoving coal into steam powered ships, because we have a cheaper way of doing it.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess we should blow ourselves up then so these trucker convoys have free reign to distribute?? Get real.
What a silly argument.

Like I said before, manned trucking is going the way of the dodo, so are people that fix cars for a living.

The trucks will be scanned and inspected at the border, and we have nuclear detectors at many weigh stations already. I know, I see one every time I cross the Alabama Florida state line.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Who in the hell told you I'm a liberal? They lied to you.

Yes, I propose to put people out of jobs that are obsolete. That isn't liberal or conservative, its realistic.

We don't have people shoving coal into steam powered ships, because we have a cheaper way of doing it.
Your posts paint you as a liberal. I really couldn't care less what you choose to call yourself.

Again, your illustration of steam powered ships vs modern propulsion is overly simplified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies