U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,686,550 times
Reputation: 1272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
hetro's can marry just because they are of the opposite sex, the "right" of it, like I said to throw into it that "anyone" is allowed to marry is just side stepping the issue and trying to play dumb.
So you agree that no one is actually being discriminated against since we can all marry?
Quote:
don't tell me that you don't believe some people do their best to discriminate in teaching, couching and other jobs because a person is gay and they are fearful that gay might be catching
If you go into a job interview and discuss your sexuality where it's not appropriate I don't know why you'd expect to get a job.
Quote:
but seriously how can you discriminate? is there a physical characteristic? you know the answer to this one as well, again trying to be obtuse?
So what is it? Is it a lisp? Perfect hair? Faaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous shoes?

You tell me...how do we possibly discriminate? Can someone get sued because they discriminated against a gay person if they didn't know the person was gay? What if they suspected someone was gay but wasn't? How can you possibly expect this to be reasonably legislated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,686,550 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Prior to DOMA being passed in 1996 and Colorado (my state) banning gay marriage a few years later, what exactly prevented me from contracting a civil marriage with another man and exercising the 1400 civil rights that come with that contract?
So Colorado would have issued a marriage license to 2 men in 1995? I got married in 1997 and there honestly was no question asked of me whether or not I was gay...but I had to marry a woman.
Quote:
The answer is nothing. I could have gotten civilly married to another man until bigoted homophobes started passing law after law after law taking that option, and those 1400 rights, away from homosexual couples. Your side banned me - banned all homosexual couples - from contracting civil marriages. You created a special class of people who can have the 1400 civil rights of marriage (heterosexuals) at the expense of a "lower" class that cannot (homosexuals) via discriminatory laws.
I think you're wrong. And I'm sorry that we can't have a civil discussion without you sinking to personal attacks. You should try to be more tolerant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,320,853 times
Reputation: 6904
"Is homophobia a mental disorder?"

No, it's not. Homophobia is just plain ordinary narrow-mindedness, intolerance, and bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 03:49 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,686,550 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"Is homophobia a mental disorder?"

No, it's not. Homophobia is just plain ordinary narrow-mindedness, intolerance, and bigotry.
I think it's narrow-minded, intolerant bigotry to call anyone who disagrees with homosexuality to be a "homophobe". I have no irrational fear of homosexuals, but I don't think it's a reasonable lifestyle, nor should we create a new form of marriage for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,384 posts, read 27,594,762 times
Reputation: 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I think it's narrow-minded, intolerant bigotry to call anyone who disagrees with homosexuality to be a "homophobe". I have no irrational fear of homosexuals, but I don't think it's a reasonable lifestyle, nor should we create a new form of marriage for it.
I agree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 PM
 
Location: California
11,436 posts, read 17,159,119 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I agree 100%.
I agree 101%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,916,552 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree 101%
I agree 99%. I'm trying to keep an open mind, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Here
2,208 posts, read 1,960,146 times
Reputation: 1388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I think it's narrow-minded, intolerant bigotry to call anyone who disagrees with homosexuality to be a "homophobe". I have no irrational fear of homosexuals, but I don't think it's a reasonable lifestyle, nor should we create a new form of marriage for it.
Agreed.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
 
13,834 posts, read 14,667,748 times
Reputation: 11523
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So to be clear, it is not about equality but it is about special interests obtaining special priveledges by your own admission. Isn't that correct?

Furthermore, those pushing a "special treatment for special interests" are perfectly justified with assigning the label of "mental disorder" under phobia to anyone who does not back their agenda to give them exactly what they want. Is that not also what you are suggesting?

PC load of crap? I'm the last one you'll find to be PC on this forum. The marriage laws treat us all equally, even if that is not what you want. Facts are facts.

Isn't labeling others with a phobia as a mental disorder the ultimate way to minimize them? How does that hypocrisy work for you?
to be clear it is about equality, people should be able to marry who they want. to exclude people is discriminatory.

again huge difference between not liking the "lifestyle" and seeking to make laws that exclude.

pc yes, or just plain just straw man....geee gays can marry the opposite sex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM
 
13,834 posts, read 14,667,748 times
Reputation: 11523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So you agree that no one is actually being discriminated against since we can all marry?

being able to marry someone just because the person is of an opposite sex does not make it "equal for people who rather marry people of the same sex. yes gays are discriminated against because they can't marry who they want.

If you go into a job interview and discuss your sexuality where it's not appropriate I don't know why you'd expect to get a job.

go to a job interview and if you are too "butch" for a woman or seen as too "fem" for a man there is a chance you will be discriminated and not get the job if the employer doesn't want gay people.

So what is it? Is it a lisp? Perfect hair? Faaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous shoes?
see above, too butch or too fem

You tell me...how do we possibly discriminate? Can someone get sued because they discriminated against a gay person if they didn't know the person was gay? What if they suspected someone was gay but wasn't? How can you possibly expect this to be reasonably legislated?
we have legislation for sex discrimination and sexual harassment in the work force I am sure we can figure this out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top