U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
 
51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Homophobes frequently refer to homosexuality as a mental disorder, despite there being no evidence to support that viewpoint. It is actually them, the homophobes who are mentally ill, often times relying on bogus and puerile religious doctrine to form their ill-informed viewpoints.

What do you think? Are homophobes suffering from a mental disorder?
I find it interesting how many bigots have crawled out from under their rocks to express thier views. Some of them are even homophobes.

Really a pathetic display of ignorance and intolerance justified using religion in some cases and anti-religion in others.

You guys are the same, ironically though you feel smug in your correctness and launch bigoted attacks from ivory towers of "correctness".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post


Wow! That is so weird because the APA says that's total ******* bull ****!

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors."

http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/sorientation.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How is homosexuality a "defect"?

Being able to think/feel differently to the majority can beneficial.

Like left-handedness can be beneficial.

True. It can be, but that is hardly an accurate analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM
 
51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32385
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wow! That is so weird because the APA says that's total ******* bull ****!

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors."

http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/sorientation.pdf
Nature doesn't tend to be so simple in it's mechanisms. Very very complex systems with lots of covariant reactions.

Some creatures can even natuarally change gender.

Chimp behavior is pretty fascinating to watch too. Prostitution, infanticide, bribery, social alliances, warfare, variable linguistics and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 12,219,988 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wow! That is so weird because the APA says that's total ******* bull ****!

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors."

http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/sorientation.pdf
Really? This BS AGAIN?

Did you perhaps neglect AGAIN to even read the factsheet?

Why did you AGAIN deliberately leave off the last 2 sentences in that paragraph? (just like all the anti-gay websites who have posted that particular paragraph out of context)

Just because there is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons, doesn't mean that there are not biological causes as you claim.

Read the sentence you conveniently left out. "Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles"

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

The statement is that scientists think nature and nurture BOTH play complex roles.

"Nature" is generally considered genetic. And do you not know that the environment "nurture" also includes pre-natal environment? (eg hormonal effects on fetal development)

Research from a range of fields from neurobiology, genetics and endocrinology etc have all showed results. How would there be a consensus as to the exact causes from scientists from completely different fields?

That Fact sheet was also written before several important studies in the fields of neurobiology and endocrinology were even conducted and published. In recent studies, fMRI brain scans show differences between the brains of homosexual and heterosexuals. Differences that were forged in the womb and were not a result of cognitive learning.

If you had read the whole fact sheet you would know that the APA also say that homosexuality is not a choice or a mental illness or something that can be changed by most people. They also warn against so-called 'reparative' therapy (aka pray away the gay) because there are no reliable studies showing it works and plenty of evidence to show the harm it can cause.

If you had bothered to do any research on this topic you would also know that there are no studies showing that the way a child is raised 'causes' their sexual orientation, or that sexual orientation is a choice.

What you WILL find consensus on amongst reputable scientists and the APA, is that homosexuality is a normal variant of human sexuality.


How about you read the next part of that fact sheet? "What role do prejudice and discrimination play......"

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Um, no. Evolution doesn't happen in one generation.



Please follow the thread...


"Two weeks ago, European researchers announced that some babies born with HIV (an inheritance from their HIV-positive mothers) appear to be able to shake the virus out of their systems. Some people even seem to be totally immune to infection despite repeated, prolonged exposure to HIV."

Read more: Are Some People Immune to the AIDS Virus? - TIME


Resistance to HIV will come through breeders, not homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wow! That is so weird because the APA says that's total ******* bull ****!

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors."

http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/sorientation.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Really? This BS AGAIN?

Did you perhaps neglect AGAIN to even read the factsheet?

Why did you AGAIN deliberately leave off the last 2 sentences in that paragraph? (just like all the anti-gay websites who have posted that particular paragraph out of context)

Just because there is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons, doesn't mean that there are not biological causes as you claim.

Read the sentence you conveniently left out. "Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles"

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

The statement is that scientists think nature and nurture BOTH play complex roles.

"Nature" is generally considered genetic. And do you not know that the environment "nurture" also includes pre-natal environment? (eg hormonal effects on fetal development)

Research from a range of fields from neurobiology, genetics and endocrinology etc have all showed results. How would there be a consensus as to the exact causes from scientists from completely different fields?

That Fact sheet was also written before several important studies in the fields of neurobiology and endocrinology were even conducted and published. In recent studies, fMRI brain scans show differences between the brains of homosexual and heterosexuals. Differences that were forged in the womb and were not a result of cognitive learning.

If you had read the whole fact sheet you would know that the APA also say that homosexuality is not a choice or a mental illness or something that can be changed by most people. They also warn against so-called 'reparative' therapy (aka pray away the gay) because there are no reliable studies showing it works and plenty of evidence to show the harm it can cause.

If you had bothered to do any research on this topic you would also know that there are no studies showing that the way a child is raised 'causes' their sexual orientation, or that sexual orientation is a choice.

What you WILL find consensus on amongst reputable scientists and the APA, is that homosexuality is a normal variant of human sexuality.


How about you read the next part of that fact sheet? "What role do prejudice and discrimination play......"

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality




Please follow the thread...


"Sexual identity is wired into the genes, which discounts the concept that homosexuality and transgender sexuality are a choice"

The naturalness of homosexuality Sexual Identity Hard-Wired by Genetics,


I say that's bull **** and the APA agrees.

"Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors."

It doesn't matter that "many think" something which is in direct contradiction to the sentence above. If you have an issue with the APA's position you'll just have to show up and harass them at their annual convention the way gay activists did in the early 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,269,370 times
Reputation: 7950
'Disorders' are decided by the American Psychiatric Assoc., which produces the DSM (diagnostic statistical manual). The current version is DSM IV, which as far as I can find out does not list 'homophobia' although there have been efforts to do so. A new version, DSM V is due out in 2013, and I don't think it would be a surprise if it is listed then.

Homosexuality was listed as a disorder until 1974, when it was dropped. If homophobia does get listed it would mean that psychiatrists would have diagnosed themselves as having a disorder until 1974, when presumably they somehow were cured.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
How does that religious saying go?...... Hate the sin, not the sinner....

Not all homophobes are religious, though. I have two associates that are die hard homophobes, and they don't have a religious bone in their body. They just think it's disgusting for a man to stick his penis in another mans rectum. Interestingly enough, both of them feel that anal sex with a woman is disgusting as well.

Many people are scared and/or repulsed by things they don't understand or don't feel are normal. It doesn't mean they have a mental disorder.

Humans and many other species have a natural aversion to feces all things associated with it. Sheep, for example, will avoid grazing where other sheep have dropped a load. This is to avoid the spread of diseases and intestinal parasites. Humans are wise to avoid all things related to feces, to include anal intercourse and those who practice it. The spread of HIV perfectly demonstrates the wisdom of doing so.

FTR: I'm not repulsed by something I don't understand. Butt sex isn't brain surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Good Lord, that has nothing to do with the matter at hand here.
Why does someone always have to beat this dead horse?
Jeez.......
Stay on-topic, will you?

A person's sexuality can take many many forms.

Please follow the thread kshe95girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top