Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
It's difficult to ignore it in today's society. Homosexuality is flaunted in movies, TV shows, and many magazines.
Really, I haven't noticed it, but then again I'm not a tv junkie nor do I seek that type of stuff out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
No problem......

Many of us use the homophobia label because by definition it is an obsessive and irrational fear of gays. There are many "straight" posters here obsessed with an anti-gay agenda.....posting more often and with more emotion than all gay posters combined. Just go through recent and old threads. It's always the same people constantly obsessing over gays........we all know who they are.

You are not among them or I would not see your posts. .
"Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2] and violence on the basis of a perceived homosexual or in some cases any non-heterosexualorientation."

Homophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P2S, the bold part from your wiki link above is where I believe serious homophobia actions lie. When an individuals beliefs result in discrimination and/or violence against a particular group is when it gets dangerous.

I guess what I was trying to say earlier is that a basic difference of opinion on the subject does not constitute someone as being a homophobe or having a mental disorder. I make this distinction, simply because I have viewed many posts on CD where an individual is attacked for simply posting their beliefs on the subject.

If we are going by the wiki definition of homophobia as a whole (which paints with a very broad brush), I would suspect that the mass majority of heterosexuals fit that title.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If you are going to quote me, do so correctly...

"It's not that rapid and heterosexuals are capable of not only carrying and spreading the virus, but also countering it by producing offspring resistant to it. Homosexuals are only capable of hosting it and spreading it."
Even if that was the case, it's still no reason to treat them like second-class citizens.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
If you are going to quote me, do so correctly...

"It's not that rapid and heterosexuals are capable of not only carrying and spreading the virus, but also countering it by producing offspring resistant to it. Homosexuals are only capable of hosting it and spreading it."
I see you not only failed to provide a linky-poo, darling, you know, the one I asked you for, and that you are attempting to deflect from, and you also subscribe to the amateur theory of "A lie repeated often enough becomes the truth".
Now, wheres the link I asked you for?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
It's completely natural for a heterosexual guy to have an aversion to homosexuality. It might even make him nauseous to think about it. That's not homophobia; that's a normal reaction. To still have respect for gays takes an extra mental step.

When you consider how small the gay population is, I think it's actually pretty incredible that gays are accepted as much as they are. The change in attitudes toward gays over the last 20 years has been dramatic.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Even if that was the case, it's still no reason to treat them like second-class citizens.
Except that is NOT the case.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

I didn't say it was.

I was offering a theory as to why they already are.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's completely natural for a heterosexual guy to have an aversion to homosexuality. It might even make him nauseous to think about it. That's not homophobia; that's a normal reaction. To still have respect for gays takes an extra mental step.

When you consider how small the gay population is, I think it's actually pretty incredible that gays are accepted as much as they are. The change in attitudes toward gays over the last 20 years has been dramatic.
Well said UM, and that is what I was trying to convey with my posts as well. I don't believe that an aversion to something equals a phobia of it.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
"Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2] and violence on the basis of a perceived homosexual or in some cases any non-heterosexualorientation."

Homophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P2S, the bold part from your wiki link above is where I believe serious homophobia actions lie. When an individuals beliefs result in discrimination and/or violence against a particular group is when it gets dangerous.

I guess what I was trying to say earlier is that a basic difference of opinion on the subject does not constitute someone as being a homophobe or having a mental disorder. I make this distinction, simply because I have viewed many posts on CD where an individual is attacked for simply posting their beliefs on the subject.

If we are going by the wiki definition of homophobia as a whole (which paints with a very broad brush), I would suspect that the mass majority of heterosexuals fit that title.
Hey ditch.....I don't subscribe to the entire wiki definition....nor do I believe that a majority of straight folks here and in life are homophobic. IMHO...there is a very obsessed and vocal minority here who go out of their way to insult gays/spread lies and frankly cause trouble for their own twisted entertainment.

I have many friends here and in life who are not exactly gay friendly and very religious. But they respect me and watch what they say and I return the favor. I never said I think anyone against gays is necessarily a homophobe it's all in how they interact with me......that garners them that derogatory distinction.

I've become friends with many folks here who got to know me as a person and not a "gay person".......and they are not gay friendly at all. Just cruise through my friend's list.....you'll be shocked!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I didn't say it was.

I was offering a theory as to why they already are.
Ah, a theory.....
Someone alert the medical community!
Oy vey, what a bupkes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies