Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,945 times

Advertisements

Great thread topic Annie53. As per the law the names will be released later and I truly am saddened by this fact. I think the jurors refusal to speak to the press should serve as enough reason not to want to be exposed to the world. This highly emotional case has drawn much publicly exposed hatred for the jurors.

I certainly hope no harm falls on these jurors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
I agree this is a bad idea. No one should have to deal with the harassment that they'll surely get. And in a very publicized case that people are very emotional about, like this one, it might make someone vote differently than they would have, out of fear.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I state my decision in a public court I have to be willing to take the consequences. My identity has to be known as I am acting as a representative of the community. Without public knowledge of both the juror and the decision the system is set up for secret tribunals without any responsibility to make thoughtful decisions and take responsibility for those actions.

If I made an unpopular decision and faced harassment for that choice I would request police protection. If threatened by a mob without police protection the mob would need protection from me.
I disagree....why should you HAVE to seek protection.I believe jurors have the right to have their personal imformation kept personal...The public has no need to know personal imformation about jurors anymore than they need to know your personal tax return info.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This is something I never thought about before the Anthony trial, in fact, it never dawned on me that your name and address would be put out there if you served on a jury. I assumed your right to privacy was protected. For years, I paid to keep my name, and ESPECIALLY my address, out of the phone book.....and then, just because I serve on a jury, too bad for you?

I think it is terrible that they are even thinking about releasing these juror's names and addresses.

After you have done your civic duty by serving on a jury......you shouldn't have your personal information made public.....in the case of the Anthony trial......it is like being thrown to the wolves.

What do YOU think?

{I tried several searches to see if there is already a thread on this topic, couldn't find one.....if I missed it.....sorry. }
I do not think Juror's names and addresses should be released. period.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
I did not personally agree with the verdict. However i am an adult, and the jury has spoken. Not happy but i can live with this decision. The jury has done what they feel is right, right or wrong, the jury has spoken.

However there are many inmature adults who do not agree with this verdict, and ready to convict the jury for doing their job, because they don't agree with the decision.

Why would anyone after this want to serve on a jury, when they did their civil duty, and are now being prosecuted. The people are angry at them, because they feel Casey got away with murder, if she did if she did not, the jury has spoken, and most should just live with the decision.

No i feel with the tensions running wild out there, what would this accomplish releasing the names of the jurors, to just fuel more anger, bad idea

The only person i ever considered, was Caylee, wanted justice for that little doll, may she rest in Peace..

Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
<snip>What do YOU think?
I agree with you 100%.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
No, I don't agree with releasing the names of the jurors. They fulfilled their civic duty by serving as jurors and should be able to maintain their privacy. I do NOT agree with their verdict, but they shouldn't be made into targets for fulfilling their civic duty.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
I understand that people might have a desire to have some kinds of information not made public, but people's impression or belief about privacy rights are very different from the reality.

In general, court records are public. If you're being sued, even if the case hasn't gone to trial yet, your next-door neighbor or your worst enemy could stroll down to the court and ask to review the file, and the clerk would be required to provide it. Same thing if you're charged with a crime. Where do you think the newspapers get their information from?

I was involved in a somewhat related question the other day about taking and publishing photos of famous people and their families. Again, if you think there is a law that says the press can't photograph children or publish their pictures without their parents' permission you'd be wrong. Same with rape victims: most newspapers choose not to publish their names, but there's nothing they says they can't.

The point to this extended discussion is that we live in a free society with freedom of the press. Almost every part of government comes up with reasons that some of what they do should be secret, but every additional secret is one more obstacle to the people's right to know what their government is doing.

I can go along with the idea that it's unfortunate that people may have their privacy invaded because they became involved in a case that garnered a lot of publicity, and all due to circumstances beyond their control. I would probably say the same thing about that couple who were photographed kissing on the street in the middle of the riot in Vancouver (?), but I wouldn't impose disclosure or reporting restrictions on either the government or the press to remedy that problem.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Bad idea, the names should not be released

Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have served on a jury and stated my verdict in open public court as required. I believe jury duty is a responsibility of citizenship and only people unable to render a fair verdict based on the evidence should be excused. Unwilling is not an excuse.

I would not expect a full time guard with the possible exception of public demonstrations. If threatened I am capable of defending myself and not afraid to do it. Like taking the responsibility of rendering and delivering a fair verdict I will take the responsibility of defending myself and my family.
Why don't you say something about what the jurors in the Anthony trial are going to have to go through? There names and addresses should be released only if each of them wants his/hers to be released. My God, haven't you seen the way people are acting because most thought of her as guilty and expected to see revenge wrought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies