U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,121 posts, read 13,358,419 times
Reputation: 20545

Advertisements

This is something I never thought about before the Anthony trial, in fact, it never dawned on me that your name and address would be put out there if you served on a jury. I assumed your right to privacy was protected. For years, I paid to keep my name, and ESPECIALLY my address, out of the phone book.....and then, just because I serve on a jury, too bad for you?

I think it is terrible that they are even thinking about releasing these juror's names and addresses.

After you have done your civic duty by serving on a jury......you shouldn't have your personal information made public.....in the case of the Anthony trial......it is like being thrown to the wolves.

What do YOU think?


{I tried several searches to see if there is already a thread on this topic, couldn't find one.....if I missed it.....sorry. }
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,647,782 times
Reputation: 6233
Probably a bad idea considering the mob (and I mean both organized crime syndicates and psychotic average joes) can get ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Reputation: 27564
Bad idea. Emotions run high and people will seek revenge for "the wrong decision" made by those jurors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
Reputation: 24606
If I state my decision in a public court I have to be willing to take the consequences. My identity has to be known as I am acting as a representative of the community. Without public knowledge of both the juror and the decision the system is set up for secret tribunals without any responsibility to make thoughtful decisions and take responsibility for those actions.

If I made an unpopular decision and faced harassment for that choice I would request police protection. If threatened by a mob without police protection the mob would need protection from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 AM
 
2,963 posts, read 3,040,720 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I state my decision in a public court I have to be willing to take the consequences. My identity has to be known as I am acting as a representative of the community. Without public knowledge of both the juror and the decision the system is set up for secret tribunals without any responsibility to make thoughtful decisions and take responsibility for those actions.

If I made an unpopular decision and faced harassment for that choice I would request police protection. If threatened by a mob without police protection the mob would need protection from me.
These people did their civic duty. They did not exactly volunteer. They were called in for duty. Its not like they ran for elected office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,619,321 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This is something I never thought about before the Anthony trial, in fact, it never dawned on me that your name and address would be put out there if you served on a jury. I assumed your right to privacy was protected. For years, I paid to keep my name, and ESPECIALLY my address, out of the phone book.....and then, just because I serve on a jury, too bad for you?

I think it is terrible that they are even thinking about releasing these juror's names and addresses.

After you have done your civic duty by serving on a jury......you shouldn't have your personal information made public.....in the case of the Anthony trial......it is like being thrown to the wolves.

What do YOU think?


{I tried several searches to see if there is already a thread on this topic, couldn't find one.....if I missed it.....sorry. }
Have you ever went to any of the people search places on the internet and looked up your name? More likely than not it is there along with your address, phone, employer, civil and criminal records. Are you registered to vote? The voter rolls with your name and address are available to anybody to purchase. Do you have credit? Same thing. If you have been the subject of a court case civil or criminal, the file can be purchased and is public record.
That said, it is my view that the names and addresses of jurors should never be made public or even be made available to the lawyers. The jurors should be referred to as juror 1, juror 2 and so on. While in the courtroom, the jury should be behind a one way glass that allows them to view and hear the proceedings but prevents anybody in the court from seeing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,121 posts, read 13,358,419 times
Reputation: 20545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I state my decision in a public court I have to be willing to take the consequences. My identity has to be known as I am acting as a representative of the community. Without public knowledge of both the juror and the decision the system is set up for secret tribunals without any responsibility to make thoughtful decisions and take responsibility for those actions.

If I made an unpopular decision and faced harassment for that choice I would request police protection. If threatened by a mob without police protection the mob would need protection from me.
But.....as it is now, you are forced to state your decision in a public court.

If I do not want to make a decision in a public court that could be used against me in the future.....shouldn't I be allowed to respectfully decline to serve, for my own well-being?

Do you really think law enforcement is going to provide you with a private body guard who will stay with you 24/7......indefinately? Go to work with you, go to the store with you, go to the dentist with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,121 posts, read 13,358,419 times
Reputation: 20545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Have you ever went to any of the people search places on the internet and looked up your name? More likely than not it is there along with your address, phone, employer, civil and criminal records. Are you registered to vote? The voter rolls with your name and address are available to anybody to purchase. Do you have credit? Same thing. If you have been the subject of a court case civil or criminal, the file can be purchased and is public record.
That said, it is my view that the names and addresses of jurors should never be made public or even be made available to the lawyers. The jurors should be referred to as juror 1, juror 2 and so on. While in the courtroom, the jury should be behind a one way glass that allows them to view and hear the proceedings but prevents anybody in the court from seeing them.
I have googled myself......found my name and city, no phone number, no address.....but then I never checked on any of the sites where you are required to pay a fee. Did find out there are two people in my area with the same name though.

A lot of those sites are inaccurate too. On one site they had my father listed as my husband.

Now that I know this, if I am called for jury duty, I think I will flat out tell them that I will not proffer a vote that I think could make me a victim of retaliation. Where I live, the court I would be called to serve at has a lot of gang activity. Honestly, I would not want to convict a gang member of anything if I knew they were going to give them my name and address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,123,641 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have googled myself......found my name and city, no phone number, no address.....but then I never checked on any of the sites where you are required to pay a fee. Did find out there are two people in my area with the same name though.

A lot of those sites are inaccurate too. On one site they had my father listed as my husband.

Now that I know this, if I am called for jury duty, I think I will flat out tell them that I will not proffer a vote that I think could make me a victim of retaliation. Where I live, the court I would be called to serve at has a lot of gang activity. Honestly, I would not want to convict a gang member of anything if I knew they were going to give them my name and address.
Releasing this information about these jurors that will make them liable to attack at home, in public or anywhere will eventually lead to prospective jurors showing up and telling all kind of wild things about themselves to avoid serving.

I would surely give untrue information about my thinking in order to avoid this kind of case. I just don't think these people need to be exhibited to the mob that this place is today because so many people accepted the guilty as charged that the media put out to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM
 
1,337 posts, read 1,227,196 times
Reputation: 656
If you are not going to have even-handed treatment of all parties involved, then I see no reason why the defendants information (or at least, information beyond name) should be made public, then. Or at least, not until a person is actually convicted.

I don't put much stock into this special privilege nonsese people try to rationalize. Either it is all open and a matter of public record for transparency purposes, else it is sealed for privacy reasons. I don't care for these double-standards that allow some parties to be legally shielded, while other parties get hung out to dry. Release all their names and addresses, everyone in the whole damn trial. Don't like it? Then don't release any. You either support true transparency, or you don't. Any double-standard in that is simply a utilitarian rationalization to explain away ones inconsistency.

If anyone is in danger, we have a "system" designed just for such a purpose (some court cases claiming no duty to protect, not withstanding).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 07-08-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top