U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about TSA?
TSA Provides for our security, we should expand the services they provide 2 2.67%
TSA makes me feel safer, I don't mind trading a little inconvenience for the security they provide. 5 6.67%
I don't really have an opinion either way. 4 5.33%
TSA is ineffective and costs too much money for the benefits it provides, we should consider scaling it back. 19 25.33%
TSA is unconstitutional and a violation of our rights, dismantle it immediately. 45 60.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,588,117 times

Advertisements

I hear many criticisms of TSA and very little about what it has accomplished. Now TSA is looking to expand it's activities to Subways, Train Stations, Ferrys and Vehicle Check Points under the VIPR (Visible Intermodal Prevention & Response) program.

VIPR Teams to Enhance Security at Major Local Transporation Facilities (the good spin)

Surprise! TSA Is Searching Your Car, Subway, Ferry, Bus, AND Plane (the bad spin)

Is it a common misconception that a large percentage of Americans do not support TSA? Is there a silent majority out there who support and appreciate the security TSA provides?

Please vote the Poll below and add a comment with a general idea of who you are (frequent traveller, international traveller, non-frequent traveller etc.) and why you voted as you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:40 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,222,776 times
I think both the TSA and the Homeland Security that spawned it should be eliminated. We do not need either.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM

704 posts, read 1,322,625 times
We need to get rid of the TSA and Homeland Security. Every organizations goal is to get bigger and if we let these fools stay around long enough we will have ourselves a nice new KGB style agency.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM

3,741 posts, read 3,086,425 times
Non frequent user of multi-modal transportation; that is, I drive my own truck.

The DHS is tooting their own horn in this link, but is any of this false? And did any of these accomplishments result in better national security? Just asking...

DHS: Fact Sheet: Select Homeland Security Accomplishments For 2006 (http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1167404984182.shtm - broken link)

Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,732,769 times
Is it time we have a pool that is in the travel forum? This is not a political matter. What I find kind of funny is that most of the people who whine the most about the TSA don't even travel much. I guess it's either get mad at the TSA this morning or hit the kitchen to make another tin foil hat.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,588,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Is it time we have a pool that is in the travel forum? This is not a political matter. What I find kind of funny is that most of the people who whine the most about the TSA don't even travel much. I guess it's either get mad at the TSA this morning or hit the kitchen to make another tin foil hat.
I meant to post this in the debate forum but believe it is appropriate for the politics forum. We are not discussing the merits or disadvantages of TSA in regards to travel, we are discussing the political merits, disadvantages and legality of TSA's existence.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM

29,588 posts, read 16,337,314 times
Quote:
Guess what, if it's run by the government, it's political.
And doesn't matter if you travel or not, since the tax dollars from everyone go to fund it.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,283,004 times
I travel a lot by air. In my experience, the TSA do a decent job at the security points of airports. I have always found them to be courteous, friendly and reasonably efficient. It tends to be clueless passengers that slow the lines down, not the TSA.

That said, I have reservations about the growth of the TSA as a bureaucracy and about how effective they are outside of airport security points. I think that much of the "enhanced security" and "scope creep" in their role is more about budget protection than about really protecting the public. I know for a fact that their "watch" database is hopeless with several hundred thousand citizens who should not be on it.

So, to summarize. I think the TSA has a role in airport security but we need much better oversight, accountability and constructive criticism where they are concerned.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,042,065 times
Get rid of it!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,083,969 times
Quote:
Big, Big, Big, Big, Big, Big
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies