U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,124,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
The cost of a trip to mars is cost prohibitive. Just about everywhere else on the planet is having rents go up as people move out of foreclosed houses and into rentals. Just add more money into circulation and we will see falling rents. The fed is trying this but we have too much debt and we aren't in a position to take on more debt...

Print money and give it away.
Are you suggesting that hyper-inflation will drive rent down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,124,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Trickle down economics has never once worked in our countries history. .......
Neither does trickle-up poverty (a.k.a. social justice via forced re-distribution of wealth by the federal government).

Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 PM

32,312 posts, read 26,174,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When tax rates are reduced, my income stays the same, but rents go through the roof and I become worse off.

Aggregate income must increase for tax collections to rise...so WHO (besides landlords) is seeing income growth when taxes are cut?
actually i think you meant to say that when tax rates go UP, your income stays the same but your rent, and the price on everything else goes up.

anytime you increase the cost of doing business, be it through increased regulation, or increased taxes, prices rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
If you want aggregate income to go up then try printing money and giving it to everyone. That will get you prompt increase in income and with it a prompt increase in spending and with that a prompt increase in employment.

The top 0.1% of the income distribution.
the weimar republic and zimbabwe both have tried that, and all that happened was that they got record hyper inflation rates and severely depressed economies. printing money out of thin air does nothing but bad things for the economy. sure you, on the surface, get more money into the hands of the people, BUT prices for goods and services go way up, and thus you end up with less purchasing power for the money you have. also when pay rates go up, so do prices, and that just adds to the inflation rate. your idea is an extremely poor one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Trickle down economics has never once worked in our countries history.

I've been begging Republicans on this forum to show me where it did for the last 4 weeks, and not once have I received a answer.
when tax rates go down, economic activity goes up. couple that wil reduced regulations, and ecnomoic activity goes up further, and that means MORE jobs and a LARGER tax base, which means MORE revenue to the government. it is simple economics, and it does work where it has been tried.

now you tell me, how many business people have said, " cant wait for the government to raise my taxes so i can hire more people"? i can tell you the answer is NEVER.

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I listen to too much talk radio and I frequently hear the hosts talk about how tax revenue goes up when income tax rates are cut. (They usually use Reagan as the prime example of this.)

Now if income tax rates are cut AND tax collections go up, there MUST be more income sloshing around the economy.

I'd just like to know where all this extra income is going because the people I know aren't seeing it in their pockets.
again when taxes are cut, economic activity increases, which increases the tax base, which increases revenues to the government. cutting taxes just means that the people get to keep more of their own money, rather than it go to the government. it doesmt mean that each person some how gets a pay raise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Neither does trickle-up poverty (a.k.a. social justice via forced re-distribution of wealth by the federal government).
actually trickle up poverty DOES work. it makes everyone equally poor.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 AM

2,240 posts, read 2,770,209 times
Quote:
When tax rates are reduced, my income stays the same, but rents go through the roof and I become worse off.

Aggregate income must increase for tax collections to rise...so WHO (besides landlords) is seeing income growth when taxes are cut?
One too many Rum and Cokes this evening?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:14 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,968,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually i think you meant to say that when tax rates go UP, your income stays the same but your rent, and the price on everything else goes up.

anytime you increase the cost of doing business, be it through increased regulation, or increased taxes, prices rise.

when tax rates go down, economic activity goes up. couple that wil reduced regulations, and ecnomoic activity goes up further, and that means MORE jobs and a LARGER tax base, which means MORE revenue to the government. it is simple economics, and it does work where it has been tried.

again when taxes are cut, economic activity increases, which increases the tax base, which increases revenues to the government. cutting taxes just means that the people get to keep more of their own money, rather than it go to the government. it doesmt mean that each person some how gets a pay raise.

There, I think you have solved it:

(1) tax rates go down and I now get to keep $30/mo more of what I earn.

(2) Economic activity goes up and that means MORE jobs and a LARGER tax base.

(3) MORE jobs means unemployed, live-with-parents Johnny gets a job and finds his own apartment...

(4) which means rental vacancy rates go down...

(5) which means rents go up, and

(6) my rent goes up $100/mo and I am now $70/mo worse off than I was before the tax cuts.

Gee thanks!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
One too many Rum and Cokes this evening?

Too much rent control means things don't work in New York the way they work in the real world.

See #25 and #23 for the real world explanation.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
With all due respect, I don't think you can make broad sweeping statements about the economy and taxes based on what you personally pay in rent.

What broad sweeping statements about the economy and taxes did I make?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 AM

36,572 posts, read 15,996,558 times
Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I listen to too much talk radio and I frequently hear the hosts talk about how tax revenue goes up when income tax rates are cut. (They usually use Reagan as the prime example of this.)

Now if income tax rates are cut AND tax collections go up, there MUST be more income sloshing around the economy.

I'd just like to know where all this extra income is going because the people I know aren't seeing it in their pockets.
Whatever you are smoking or drinking you really need to stop.

Your statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's take it real slow for you.

When tax rates go down, you are taxed less leaving you with more take home money.

If the people you know were working when the Bush era taxes were decreased they have seen more money in their paychecks each and every time the get that paycheck.

If they started working AFTER the tax cuts went into effect, they wouldn't notice anything.

Conversely if the tax cuts are repealed, they WILL see less take home money.

Understand?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,015,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

the weimar republic and zimbabwe both have tried that, and all that happened was that they got record hyper inflation rates and severely depressed economies. printing money out of thin air does nothing but bad things for the economy. sure you, on the surface, get more money into the hands of the people, BUT prices for goods and services go way up, and thus you end up with less purchasing power for the money you have. also when pay rates go up, so do prices, and that just adds to the inflation rate. your idea is an extremely poor one.

now you tell me, how many business people have said, " cant wait for the government to raise my taxes so i can hire more people"? i can tell you the answer is NEVER.

actually trickle up poverty DOES work. it makes everyone equally poor.
Still no examples huh?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 AM

12,439 posts, read 10,287,922 times
when you lower tax rates you collect more taxes

And 2 + 2 = 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies