Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Captain John Ghiotto has served 19 years with the SDFD and he, along with three other firemen, has taken legal action after they claim they were forced to march in the parade this past July. He appeared on Fox Network's "The O'Reilly Factor," along with his attorney, Charles LiMandri, where Ghiotto says the three-hour ordeal was offensive and humiliating.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/08/san_diego_firefighter_says_he.php (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
I just read the article - that fire chief should be banned from ever working in a government job again - EVER. People like this, and their forcing everyone's participation in their alternative lifestyles, is where I draw the line. Do what you want and when you want, but how the hell do you want to force everyone else to join in with you!!??!!

Stories like this make me want to barf. Where's the ACLU's position on THIS one, I wonder....

Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
I heard about this. Participation in any parade, especially Gay Pride, should be voluntary. The chief needs to be fired.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
When I read this article I thought about a segment on Fox News the other day with the firemen from NYFD. It seems these firemen like to show off their sexy bods in front of millions of people(including kids, straight men) in the morning right when we are having breakfast. I couldn't believe what I was seeing but the gals and Steve Ducey were salivating all over themselves looking at these hunky guys selling a calendar of some sort. In August?
I wonder what O'Reilly thought about all of this happening outside the Fox studio. It sounds like these San Diego firemen are homophobic about the large number of gays out there. If they feel that way about a certain segment of their population, maybe they should not be public servants.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
When I read this article I thought about a segment on Fox News the other day with the firemen from NYFD. It seems these firemen like to show off their sexy bods in front of millions of people(including kids, straight men) in the morning right when we are having breakfast. I couldn't believe what I was seeing but the gals and Steve Ducey were salivating all over themselves looking at these hunky guys selling a calendar of some sort. In August?
I wonder what O'Reilly thought about all of this happening outside the Fox studio. It sounds like these San Diego firemen are homophobic about the large number of gays out there. If they feel that way about a certain segment of their population, maybe they should not be public servants.

Phobia would denote an IRRATIONAL fear of something and the wish to avoid that unpleasant thing, whatever it may be.

As a proud straight man I would find it very offensive, disgusting, and immoral, as well as unethical, and unprofessional if I were told that I would have to participate in an homosexual event where gay men would feel comfortable to proposition, grab, or relay their desire onto me.

I'm a public servant NOT an homosexual, my job is to treat all people with respect and compassion while performing the DUTIES of my office, and not to be used as a pawn to forward an agenda I believe to be detrimental to my culture, race, and country.

If any indivisual wishes to participate in that event more power to you, but don't ever abuse your office to push your personal agenda and force people to disrespect their own set of personal beliefs.

When Gay and Lesbian indivisuals in office pull these sorts of stunts it simply re-enforces the belief that they can not be impartial and separate what they do in their bedroom from what they should be doing in the office.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:03 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
My thoughts are these are men/women hired to protect the public in case of fire. It should have been totally volentary. Then, nothing would have been an issue. But, to subject men/women to something they don't believe in and are totally uncomfortable with, is like harassment in the workplace, at least where I work.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
The fire chief should be commended. He stood up for his beliefs. If you don't like it, move your ass down the road.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,829 times
I don't see how these individuals were forced to participate. They could have left the moment they were uncomfortable. Claiming humiliation and offensiveness is ridiculous. If no one forced them, they could have left on their own volition. I agree with jgussler and reconmark: if they are not comfortable with human diversity (this doesn't include being groped or having obscene gestures made at them--that would be wrong in every circumstance) then perhaps a civil service job isn't right for them.

I used to live within mere feet--yes, feet--of where the SD Gay Pride parade would set up its floats and cars. As a gay man, you'd think I'd join in the festivities, besides, I'm not unappealing. NOT! I hated them and I left town that day every year whenever I could. Gay pride parades are the dumbest thing in the world. If ever there was something which made gay people look bad, it would be these stupid events. They are embarrassing. So, just so you know, not every gay person attends, not every gay person endorses, and not every gay person struts around like a hedonistic pig.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
The fire chief should be commended. He stood up for his beliefs. If you don't like it, move your ass down the road.
Yes, it is important that the tolerant people of this world like the fire chief shove their opinions down the throats of others....

Old 08-10-2007, 07:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I just read the article - that fire chief should be banned from ever working in a government job again - EVER. People like this, and their forcing everyone's participation in their alternative lifestyles, is where I draw the line. Do what you want and when you want, but how the hell do you want to force everyone else to join in with you!!??!!

Stories like this make me want to barf. Where's the ACLU's position on THIS one, I wonder....
I completely agree, participation should be absolutely voluntary. The same as nobody should be forced to march in a military parade or fly the flag if it goes against their conviction. We should all have the right to participate but to be forced is a complete breach of our human rights and affront to our personal dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies