U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Metro-Detroit area
4,060 posts, read 3,432,530 times
Reputation: 2107

Advertisements

Madalyn Murray O'Hair (April 13, 1919 – September 29, 1995) was an American atheist activist, and founder of the organization American Atheists and its president from 1963 to 1986. One of her sons, Jon Garth Murray, was the president of the organization from 1986 to 1995, while she remained de facto president during these nine years[citation

In the wake of the disappearance, Madalyn Murray O'Hair's estranged son William Murray publicly stated that his mother had a tendency to hire violent atheist criminals because "She got a sense of power out of having men in her employ who had taken human life."

The police concluded that Waters and his accomplices had kidnapped all three O'Hairs, forced them to withdraw the missing funds, gone on several huge shopping sprees with the O'Hairs' money and credit cards, and then murdered all three people.

Danny Fry, an accomplice, was murdered a few days after the O'Hairs; his body was found on a riverbed with his head and hands severed and missing, but his remains remained unidentified for three and a half years. Waters eventually pleaded guilty to reduced charges.[citation needed]

When the police excavated there, they discovered that the O'Hairs' bodies had been cut into dozens of pieces with a saw. The remains exhibited such extensive mutilation and successive decomposition that identification had to be made through dental records, by DNA testing and, in Madalyn O'Hair's case, by the serial number of her prosthetic hip

The head and hands of Danny Fry were also found at the site.


Murray spoke critically and regretfully of his mother after her disappearance, and characterized her social activism as being motivated by a love of hedonism and a need for dominance:

"When I was a young boy of ten or eleven years old she would come home and brag about spending the day in X-rated movie theaters in downtown Baltimore.... My mother’s whole life circulated around such things... It was love of power over people that finally caused not only her death, but the deaths of my brother and my daughter... My mother was an evil person... Not for removing prayer from America's schools... No, she was just evil. She stole huge amounts of money. She misused the trust of people. She cheated children out of their parents' inheritance. She cheated on her taxes and even stole from her own organizations. She once printed up phony stock certificates on her own printing press to try to take over another atheist publishing company....Regardless of how evil and lawless my mother was she did not deserve to die in the manner she did."



Yep, I guess even the people who practise the religion of "atheism" can fall victim to those they prey upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,461 posts, read 12,272,930 times
Reputation: 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Religious Leader Shoots 4 Year Old Boy To Death Because He Might Be Gay | The New Civil Rights Movement


..more in the link.

So, I have to ask: How does this stuff ever happen? I never understood how people can kill in the name of religion, especially when they preach against that stuff.

Just don't get it at all. I guess this is what happens when people "PRAY" (aka talk to themselves) and are so delusional they hear "God" tell them to do these things.

Extreme religious beliefs are the mental disorder and it's a choice.
Oh this is easy to understand if your own personal GOD is the Devil , which in this case seem to be the case , doesn't it appear to be the case to you....?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,252,210 times
Reputation: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Madalyn Murray O'Hair (April 13, 1919 – September 29, 1995) was an American atheist activist, and founder of the organization American Atheists and its president from 1963 to 1986. One of her sons, Jon Garth Murray, was the president of the organization from 1986 to 1995, while she remained de facto president during these nine years[citation

In the wake of the disappearance, Madalyn Murray O'Hair's estranged son William Murray publicly stated that his mother had a tendency to hire violent atheist criminals because "She got a sense of power out of having men in her employ who had taken human life."

The police concluded that Waters and his accomplices had kidnapped all three O'Hairs, forced them to withdraw the missing funds, gone on several huge shopping sprees with the O'Hairs' money and credit cards, and then murdered all three people.

Danny Fry, an accomplice, was murdered a few days after the O'Hairs; his body was found on a riverbed with his head and hands severed and missing, but his remains remained unidentified for three and a half years. Waters eventually pleaded guilty to reduced charges.[citation needed]

When the police excavated there, they discovered that the O'Hairs' bodies had been cut into dozens of pieces with a saw. The remains exhibited such extensive mutilation and successive decomposition that identification had to be made through dental records, by DNA testing and, in Madalyn O'Hair's case, by the serial number of her prosthetic hip

The head and hands of Danny Fry were also found at the site.


Murray spoke critically and regretfully of his mother after her disappearance, and characterized her social activism as being motivated by a love of hedonism and a need for dominance:

"When I was a young boy of ten or eleven years old she would come home and brag about spending the day in X-rated movie theaters in downtown Baltimore.... My mother’s whole life circulated around such things... It was love of power over people that finally caused not only her death, but the deaths of my brother and my daughter... My mother was an evil person... Not for removing prayer from America's schools... No, she was just evil. She stole huge amounts of money. She misused the trust of people. She cheated children out of their parents' inheritance. She cheated on her taxes and even stole from her own organizations. She once printed up phony stock certificates on her own printing press to try to take over another atheist publishing company....Regardless of how evil and lawless my mother was she did not deserve to die in the manner she did."


Yep, I guess even the people who practise the religion of "atheism" can fall victim to those they prey upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 PM
 
3,681 posts, read 5,541,157 times
Reputation: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Some kook shoots a couple people and you claim "this is what happens when people pray"?
That is all the atheists will focus on.

Maybe all the crimes committed without mention of religion need to start being attributed to atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,252,210 times
Reputation: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
That is all the atheists will focus on.

Maybe all the crimes committed without mention of religion need to start being attributed to atheism.
Have fun trying to gain any kind of credibility using logic like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 PM
 
3,681 posts, read 5,541,157 times
Reputation: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Have fun trying to gain any kind of credibility using logic like that.
Makes about as much sense as saying this murder happened because of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,252,210 times
Reputation: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Makes about as much sense as saying this murder happened because of religion.
Yep, because I'm sure his homophobia stemmed from something other than his fundamentalist religious beliefs. You must think I'm some kind of fool, hahahaha.

You're either in denial or you're out of touch with reality. Given the fact that you're religious, it's probably a combination of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,400 posts, read 19,539,488 times
Reputation: 11064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Have fun trying to gain any kind of credibility using logic like that.
Good point...don't you love the convoluted logic and attempt at deflection from the thread's premise and the attempt to hijack the thread....rather than dealing with the problems and violence SOME religions SOMETIMES cause and purposely promote.



And how VERY SAD!!!!!! My condolences to the boy's family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,940 posts, read 10,891,448 times
Reputation: 12702
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Makes about as much sense as saying this murder happened because of religion.
Are you really trying to play dumb to avoid the most obviously rational explanation here (and one that is apparently the least convenient for your beliefs)? The guy was running what seems to be a small religious cult. Read some of the articles, for heaven's sake - it appears that his actions were entirely based on his warped religious beliefs. I'm not saying that every religious person is like this, but this guy was...he obviously took it to the extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 11:47 PM
 
3,681 posts, read 5,541,157 times
Reputation: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Yep, because I'm sure his homophobia stemmed from something other than his fundamentalist religious beliefs.

.
Right. Definitely sounds like mainstream religion to me.

DA seeks death penalty for 'cult' leader | abc11.com

"McKoy and Higganbothan lived with a polygamist religious group led by Moses known as the "Black Hebrew Israelites."

"Moses began to beat her and other ladies in the house began to beat her and this beating went on for most of the day."

This guy was obviously deranged. This is no more a reflection on true religions than Jeffrey Dohmer was on homosexuals.

A horrible crime which says nothing about religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top