U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:04 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,628,113 times

Advertisements

yep most blacks I grew up around speak like Obama or Jesse Jackson or any other famous black person who's not in the entertainment industry. Dress in Vineyard Vines (or anything but hip-hop labels really), parents own nice cars AND houses without going over their means, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,791,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And I want you to understand (and acknowledge) that far more Black Americans are of her opinion than not. Non-Blacks tend to take the extreme negatives that exist about Black Americans (the Jerry Springer version) and apply it to the whole. The Black experience in America is multifaceted/multilayered.

This is the world in which I was raised....

YouTube - ‪Oakland Bay Area Links Cotillion 2009‬‏
That's wonderful cali, but isn't that type of upbringing, especially in a place such as Oakland, the exception? I don't know, that's why I'm asking you.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,638,741 times
Act how you want. Just don't cry if you go into a job interview with your pants hanging down and your ballcap on sideways expecting to be taken serious. You want to walk around lookin like a fool with your pants hanging down yellin out yo yo feel free. Plenty of white kids do it now too. Hell any race. They think they're "cool" doing it. I walk around in shorts and a tee shirt and some may say hey he looks like an idiot. I don't really care. I wouldn't go to work or an interview or out to dinner at a nice place looking like that though.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,313,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I want to embolden blacks to be independent, and not follow the crowd or their peers. To have positive role-models like this young lady.

Are you this condescending in real life?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:23 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,313,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That's wonderful cali, but isn't that type of upbringing, especially in a place such as Oakland, the exception? I don't know, that's why I'm asking you.

Would you care to tell us what "a place like Oakland" is? This will be entertaining.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 PM

4,326 posts, read 5,997,160 times
Her issue is more so the difference between African Americans and foreign blacks who come to country. 2 complete different cultures that don't fully understand each other. Simple as that.

She wasn't that eye opening with her information *shrug*

Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Would you care to tell us what "a place like Oakland" is? This will be entertaining.
High crime, high black population....that's about all I know. Do I have that wrong?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Her issue is more so the difference between African Americans and foreign blacks who come to country. 2 complete different cultures that don't fully understand each other. Simple as that.

She wasn't that eye opening with her information *shrug*
It was to me. I live in a mostly white, conservative area, although with the recent push to build low income housing because we aren't diverse enough, and with the release of many prison inmates, spreading them around the state, we are seeing changes. I see mostly gangsters, or tough wannabe's. I would love to see more like this young lady, she's got class.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,084,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
This is an excellent video, thanks for posting. She is exactly right.
I knew it would happen if I waited long enough. Yes, you and I agree completely about this one. The young woman is so right.

Did you watch the other video she suggested? I thought it was an outstanding one, also, since not all black people want to be stereotyped.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Are you this condescending in real life?
How is it consescending to want a people to aspire to their potential?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or