U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,540 posts, read 33,504,994 times
Reputation: 51588

Advertisements

"A new poll conducted by BlackPlanet/NewsOne shows that 77 percent of African Americans believe that drug screening should be required for those applying for welfare benefits. The poll, which had over 1,600 respondents, detailed how many African Americans believe if employers can drug test you for a job, the government should be able to do so for public assistance programs."

77 Percent Of Black People Support Drug Testing For Welfare Recipients | News One

There is no link to the poll or the poll methodology so I don't know. The people reporting the results are one of the two poll takers.

Here's the breakdown of welfare recipients:

39% African American
38% Caucasian
17% Hispanic
4% Asian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,258,967 times
Reputation: 3137
What is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,540 posts, read 33,504,994 times
Reputation: 51588
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
What is your point?
That the issue of drug screening for welfare benefits isn't necessarily racially motivated just like the issue of gay marriage was opposed in good numbers by the black community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 AM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,258,967 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That the issue of drug screening for welfare benefits isn't necessarily racially motivated just like the issue of gay marriage was opposed in good numbers by the black community.
There is no logic in your statement. Just because a group of people is not opposed to the law does not mean the law itself was not racially motivated. I am not arguing whether it was or was not. I am just aguing with your logic..or lack of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Sonoma County
4 posts, read 4,222 times
Reputation: 10
I'm missing the point of the statement. What I do know is drug use may not start in poverty, but it easily ends in poverty;more importantly, addiction can start a generational downward spiral. Addicts do things to feed that habit which non-addicts can choose not to do. We desperately need treatment options for welfare folks and all addicts no matter what racial or ethnic identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,540 posts, read 33,504,994 times
Reputation: 51588
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There is no logic in your statement. Just because a group of people is not opposed to the law does not mean the law itself was not racially motivated. I am not arguing whether it was or was not. I am just aguing with your logic..or lack of it.
With regard to drug screening, it says "should be required" not aren't opposed.

The gay marriage thing had to do with the voting Demographics of who opposed it at the ballot box. In fact, the story (at the time) was about how this was not widely reported by the media.

"Seven in 10 African Americans who went to the polls voted yes on Proposition 8, the ballot measure overruling a state Supreme Court judgment that legalized same-sex marriage and brought 18,000 gay and lesbian couples to Golden State courthouses in the past six months. Similar measures passed easily in Florida and Arizona. It was closer in California, but no ethnic group anywhere rejected the sanctioning of same-sex unions as emphatically as the state's black voters, according to exit polls."

Most of California's Black Voters Backed Gay Marriage Ban

There are other stories from other states. Just google "African American" "gay marriage".

For the record, I don't oppose gay marriage and I'm for drug screening in my state for welfare as long as it's cost effective.

The point is African Americans don't necessarily vote in lockstep with the liberal agenda. They vote based on their values, too. Maybe I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 60,370,834 times
Reputation: 22268
Good and it makes good sense to do so. No one should be paid to lay around doing drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,258,967 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
With regard to drug screening, it says "should be required" not aren't opposed.

The gay marriage thing had to do with the voting Demographics of who opposed it at the ballot box. In fact, the story (at the time) was about how this was not widely reported by the media.

"Seven in 10 African Americans who went to the polls voted yes on Proposition 8, the ballot measure overruling a state Supreme Court judgment that legalized same-sex marriage and brought 18,000 gay and lesbian couples to Golden State courthouses in the past six months. Similar measures passed easily in Florida and Arizona. It was closer in California, but no ethnic group anywhere rejected the sanctioning of same-sex unions as emphatically as the state's black voters, according to exit polls."

Most of California's Black Voters Backed Gay Marriage Ban

There are other stories from other states. Just google "African American" "gay marriage".

For the record, I don't oppose gay marriage and I'm for drug screening in my state for welfare as long as it's cost effective.

The point is African Americans don't necessarily vote in lockstep with the liberal agenda. They vote based on their values, too. Maybe I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say. Sorry.
I also agree that African Americans tend to be more socially conservative than "mainstream" liberal ideology. On economic ideology, they are pretty close to the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,090 posts, read 10,722,668 times
Reputation: 4107
Argumentum ad populum - RationalWiki

Quote:
This logical fallacy is often used by children as an excuse for wanting something (everybody's got one), or doing something (everybody's doing it). Despite the juvenile nature of the argument, it is often used by people who should know better, particularly by those who are trying to force other people to their way of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Southwest Michigan/Miami Beach Miami
1,949 posts, read 2,738,857 times
Reputation: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good and it makes good sense to do so. No one should be paid to lay around doing drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top