Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You should post a link so you don't get accused of plagiarism, or lying.

By the way, are you liberals now going to start attacking Bachmann for every little comment she makes? If that's the case, thank you for giving her the spotlight!
I'm going to call her out for hypocrisy, she whines about government interference yet praises the Secretary of Agriculture for direct government purchase of farm products. It's just too damn much work trying to figure which of her faces is speaking at any given time. BTW, I'm happy to shine the spotlight on her two-faced BS

Last edited by burdell; 07-12-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You should post a link so you don't get accused of plagiarism, or lying.

By the way, are you liberals now going to start attacking Bachmann for every little comment she makes? If that's the case, thank you for giving her the spotlight!
Certainly, as long as she suffers from foot in mouth the People will point it out and laugh.
Are you going to ignore any gaffs President Obama or any other Demo makes, nope, I thought not
Casper

Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
We as liberals are so stupid! How come we did not know that the black family was much better off in 1860 than today. Boy, we are missing out on some great family values that consisted of: rapings by your slave master; being whipped into submission whenever we did something wrong; being fed leftovers from the bighouse; pimping the large males out to other plantations for a fee; lack of proper clothing and medical care; lack of education; mistreatment; 15 hour work days for no pay. Yeah, the black family has sure taken a turn for the worst since then.
Well, they sound like Repug values and Bachmann reinforced it!

Can't imagine backing a presidential candidate who is stupid enough to believe blacks had it better under slavery....are those the cnditions she WANTS for blacks????

Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Well, she does have a lot of credibility on the subject... considering she's stayed with a gay man all these years just for the children lol!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Her white-bread congressional district she represents in Minnesota probably has a total of four african-americans living there. She's going to have to watch her mouth a little more closely on the national stage. I don't think she's got it in her.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President."
A two parent household, Michelle, even for you that's a pretty astounding proposition. It's like Michelle believes that there these little slave condos where "families" gathered in their off-time.

Michelle, when slave married by choice more often than not they didn't even live on the same property as several slaves explained:
"I did not want to marry a girl belonging to my own place, because I knew I could not bear to see her ill-treated."

John Anderson

"no colored man wishes to live at the house where his wife lives, for he has to endure the continual misery of seeing her flogged and abused without daring to say a word in her defence."

Moses Grandy

"If my wife must be exposed to the insults and licentious passions of wicked slave-drivers and overseers. Heaven forbid that I should be compelled to witness the sight."

Henry Bibb
Life of a Slave, in 1843.

And Michelle, when you consider that most slave marriages were the equivalent of kennel owner pair off a pedigree ***** with a prized stud, yeah being married in a two-family household would be the rule of the day, despite the fact that such marriages had no legal binding and over a third were liquidated by owner fiat.

But then again Michelle, why would we expect you to get the history of antebellum slavery any more right than who was born in Waterloo, or where the Lexington of Concord by be.
You're just upset because she spoke the truth, that even during the horrors of slavery in the south, families were the cement that held African-Americans together, today the black family is an oddity, and young black children tell their teachers "marriage is for white people".

It's an illustration of a contrast, slavery could not destroy the black family, but benevolent democrats, and their liberal government programs have.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,613,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President."
A two parent household, Michelle, even for you that's a pretty astounding proposition. It's like Michelle believes that there these little slave condos where "families" gathered in their off-time.

Michelle, when slave married by choice more often than not they didn't even live on the same property as several slaves explained:
"I did not want to marry a girl belonging to my own place, because I knew I could not bear to see her ill-treated."

John Anderson

"no colored man wishes to live at the house where his wife lives, for he has to endure the continual misery of seeing her flogged and abused without daring to say a word in her defence."

Moses Grandy

"If my wife must be exposed to the insults and licentious passions of wicked slave-drivers and overseers. Heaven forbid that I should be compelled to witness the sight."

Henry Bibb
Life of a Slave, in 1843.

And Michelle, when you consider that most slave marriages were the equivalent of kennel owner pair off a pedigree ***** with a prized stud, yeah being married in a two-family household would be the rule of the day, despite the fact that such marriages had no legal binding and over a third were liquidated by owner fiat.

But then again Michelle, why would we expect you to get the history of antebellum slavery any more right than who was born in Waterloo, or where the Lexington of Concord by be.
is she wrong?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
is she wrong?
NO

What she could have said was welfare is worse for African American families than Slavery . I understand she is talking about a family and not life in general .

Old 07-12-2011, 04:18 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,121 times
I love it when people on this board talk in absolutes, like all slaves raised their kids in 2 parent households and there are no black families today.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
is she wrong?
Calling a group of black people living together under slavery a family, is like a rancher calling his herd his family pets. People have for generations over romanticized Slavery to the point where people believe something good came out of it. A group of black people living together in a cabin did not behave like a family, were not expected to behave like a family and were not treated like family.

There are too many primary documents from the period that illustrate that slave relationships were extremely "fluid." One of the primary criticisms by Marry Chestnut of plantation life in her book, Dairy from Dixie, was sexual behavior of slaves primarily between women and masters. She said the book Uncle Toms Cabin "Spared Southern wives of plantation owners the greatest indignity"

Perhaps Bachmann is full of hubris, naivete, or just ignorant, but I wouldn't expect anyone in this day and age to use the "happy Slave" as an example of the golden age for black families. Unless she enlist the spin doctors and conservative agents of damage control to acknowledge a misstep , she should certainly expect her "happy Slave" family to be a debate question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies