Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
are you referring to this?

Do you not see the little double lines before each indented statement (by the way those indented lines are referred to as a block quote)

Do you not see the names of the speakers under each QUOTATION?

Do you not see the book title and date of publication below them all?

In 3rd grade English Comp, you should have learned what quotation marks indicate, that names that appear below such quotes indicate the original speaker, and that book citations are often formated as I wrote above.

It is one thing to have to educate people about the fact that a person running for the Presidency of the United States isn't a "random" person, or the history of marriage and child rearing in the antebellum south, but to have to explain the most basic mechanics of English grammar... that is simply asking too much.
I will assume that this post was not for my benefit.
You do know that I was being totally sarcastic...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
As usual, any attempt to illustrate a modern social problem is lost in the outrage over the slavery that existed for most of human history, and was only a white-black system in a small period of modern time. Black Africans had black slaves long before whites went there to buy them.

Yes, we all know the liberal outrage over a system that no longer exists. There are plenty of outrages in human history you can get worked up over.

However, since we live here and now, and can only affect the future, why not seek to improve the situation of the African-American population today? It is a HUGE problem that current policies of both Big Government and Big Business serve to destroy African-American family structure. The Drug War is the probably the single worst offender in this regard. While most Americans realize we spend trillions of dollars we can't afford on a ridiculous Drug War that accomplishes absolutely nothing--but has massive adverse affects--our government continues on, wasting money because the Drug War serves to increase government power.

Welfare also contributes to destroying African American families, because the presence of a husband will disqualify a woman for benefits. This is insane. American taxpayers are PAYING for a system that rewards babies being born into single-part families.

Let's deal with today's problems. This is a big one, and if government wasn't so out-of-control and power-mad, it would be easily solved.
-------------------> The Point

-------------------> Your Head

This pledge that Bachmann's signed makes some silly fantasy claim that black families during slavery were healthy nuclear families, which is of course too absurd as to even warrant response, though some brave souls are doing just that.

Even they've now realised how insipid it is. Like damage control after drunk dialing your ex.

Conservative group backtracks on marriage pledge slavery language - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I will assume that this post was not for my benefit.
You do know that I was being totally sarcastic...right?
Damn, another case of fratricide!

No I didn't realize that you were being sarcastic and I should have, me culpa!

I'm tired, and should go to bed. And I will. Goodnight.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
"Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President."
A two parent household, Michelle, even for you that's a pretty astounding proposition. It's like Michelle believes that there these little slave condos where "families" gathered in their off-time.

Michelle, when slave married by choice more often than not they didn't even live on the same property as several slaves explained:
"I did not want to marry a girl belonging to my own place, because I knew I could not bear to see her ill-treated."

John Anderson

"no colored man wishes to live at the house where his wife lives, for he has to endure the continual misery of seeing her flogged and abused without daring to say a word in her defence."

Moses Grandy

"If my wife must be exposed to the insults and licentious passions of wicked slave-drivers and overseers. Heaven forbid that I should be compelled to witness the sight."

Henry Bibb
Life of a Slave, in 1843.

And Michelle, when you consider that most slave marriages were the equivalent of kennel owner pair off a pedigree ***** with a prized stud, yeah being married in a two-family household would be the rule of the day, despite the fact that such marriages had no legal binding and over a third were liquidated by owner fiat.

But then again Michelle, why would we expect you to get the history of antebellum slavery any more right than who was born in Waterloo, or where the Lexington of Concord by be.

That is some very warped and confused leftist "logic" that managed to weave the concept of two parent families into the history of slavery!

Now one must really ask the OP- do you really feel that single parent families and broken families are the most ideal situation in which to raise children? Of course not. Any fool knows that, but most liberals, on the other hand.......................

Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
"Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President."
A two parent household, Michelle, even for you that's a pretty astounding proposition. It's like Michelle believes that there these little slave condos where "families" gathered in their off-time.

Michelle, when slave married by choice more often than not they didn't even live on the same property as several slaves explained:
"I did not want to marry a girl belonging to my own place, because I knew I could not bear to see her ill-treated."

John Anderson

"no colored man wishes to live at the house where his wife lives, for he has to endure the continual misery of seeing her flogged and abused without daring to say a word in her defence."

Moses Grandy

"If my wife must be exposed to the insults and licentious passions of wicked slave-drivers and overseers. Heaven forbid that I should be compelled to witness the sight."

Henry Bibb
Life of a Slave, in 1843.

And Michelle, when you consider that most slave marriages were the equivalent of kennel owner pair off a pedigree ***** with a prized stud, yeah being married in a two-family household would be the rule of the day, despite the fact that such marriages had no legal binding and over a third were liquidated by owner fiat.

But then again Michelle, why would we expect you to get the history of antebellum slavery any more right than who was born in Waterloo, or where the Lexington of Concord by be.
The pledge contained equally ignorant stuff about gays.

By signing this pledge, Bachmann revealed herself as a narrow-minded, mean-spirited weirdo, who will appeal only to other weirdos. Just when the MSM was running stories like "Gee, she seems normal. Maybe she's not crazy after all!" Ooops... spoke too soon.

Bachmann may not realize it yet, but she's a dead duck in this race. She may go on to win Iowa and South Carolina, but that will be the end of the road. Too far outside the mainstream of the rest of the country with her social extremism.

Bachmann is finished as a national candidate. I'm happy, for my country's sake. Good riddence.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Here's a link: Bachmann Signs Pledge with Questionable Slavery Reference | Mother Jones

I wish she had of had the sense to speak on the fact that those children of slaves were property. They were property of the slave owner who could sell them, beat them, rape them or do as he damned well pleased.

Gawd I'll be glad when this idiot passing herself off as a serious candidate is out of the race. She's a disgusting and pathetic excuse for a human being. What kind of life did she think these slave families were living? Ozzie and freaking Harriot? This woman is a freak from another planet.

And not surprisingly, not one of the right wing posters condemned the reference to slave children in the document the bachmann ***** signed. Not one. That should tell you what you need to know.

Going down in 2012.
Why would she acknowledge something that is common knowledge? That is in fact part of the point the statement is trying to make. Even under the most brutal conditions the black family was more intact than it is today.

I agree though the analogy was not the best. If they compared say Blacks from 1870 to now that would have been more accurate.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The pledge contained equally ignorant stuff about gays.

By signing this pledge, Bachmann revealed herself as a narrow-minded, mean-spirited weirdo, who will appeal only to other weirdos. Just when the MSM was running stories like "Gee, she seems normal. Maybe she's not crazy after all!" Ooops... spoke too soon.

Bachmann may not realize it yet, but she's a dead duck in this race. She may go on to win Iowa and South Carolina, but that will be the end of the road. Too far outside the mainstream of the rest of the country with her social extremism.

Bachmann is finished as a national candidate. I'm happy, for my country's sake. Good riddence.
Says who you? I'm not planning to vote for her but it's not like she was getting the black vote regardless. I fail to see how this hurts her all it does is tick of liberal blogs like Mother Jones.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
-------------------> The Point

-------------------> Your Head

This pledge that Bachmann's signed makes some silly fantasy claim that black families during slavery were healthy nuclear families, which is of course too absurd as to even warrant response, though some brave souls are doing just that.

Even they've now realised how insipid it is. Like damage control after drunk dialing your ex.

Conservative group backtracks on marriage pledge slavery language - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com
So it would appear Eric Holder is right, Americans are cowards in regards to race and pretty poor at reading comprehension as well.

There is nothing nonfactual about the statement and the opening line acknowledges that slavery had a disastrous affect on black families.

Quote:
"Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA?s first African-American President," read the preamble.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Not surprised but still disgusted that people defend this BS.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Simple question. Is it a fact or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies