Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

"Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President."
A two parent household, Michelle, even for you that's a pretty astounding proposition. It's like Michelle believes that there these little slave condos where "families" gathered in their off-time.

Michelle, when slave married by choice more often than not they didn't even live on the same property as several slaves explained:
"I did not want to marry a girl belonging to my own place, because I knew I could not bear to see her ill-treated."

John Anderson

"no colored man wishes to live at the house where his wife lives, for he has to endure the continual misery of seeing her flogged and abused without daring to say a word in her defence."

Moses Grandy

"If my wife must be exposed to the insults and licentious passions of wicked slave-drivers and overseers. Heaven forbid that I should be compelled to witness the sight."

Henry Bibb
Life of a Slave, in 1843.

And Michelle, when you consider that most slave marriages were the equivalent of kennel owner pair off a pedigree ***** with a prized stud, yeah being married in a two-family household would be the rule of the day, despite the fact that such marriages had no legal binding and over a third were liquidated by owner fiat.

But then again Michelle, why would we expect you to get the history of antebellum slavery any more right than who was born in Waterloo, or where the Lexington of Concord by be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 04:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
You should post a link so you don't get accused of plagiarism, or lying.

By the way, are you liberals now going to start attacking Bachmann for every little comment she makes? If that's the case, thank you for giving her the spotlight!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
The problem is that that is not a little comment, but if she wants to commit political suicide, let her...

Old 07-09-2011, 04:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
She's not praising slavery, she's condemning the destruction of the black family and using a shocking fact to make her point.

Many others have made this comment before. It's true. I find it funny that you focus your anger not on the destruction of the black family, but the twisting of a point made by a random person.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Obviously you don't understand the meaning of plagiarism and I could care less who here calls me a liar.

But you wanted a quote so here ya go.

Bachmann Stands By Marriage Pledge That Links Slavery to Black Family Values - FoxNews.com

Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
She's not praising slavery, she's condemning the destruction of the black family and using a shocking fact to make her point.
What "shocking fact" would that be? The illusion that slaves actually lived in neat little two family shacks in the back of the plantation?

Quote:
find it funny that you focus your anger not on the destruction of the black family, but the twisting of a point made by a random person.
Since when have presidential candidates become "random" persons?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM

158 posts, read 134,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

By the way, are you liberals now going to start attacking Bachmann for every little comment she makes? If that's the case, thank you for giving her the spotlight!
Using liberals as an insult really undermines your credibility as a poster.

Why can't the OP just be reflecting on the politician's poor choice of words, irregardless of affiliation.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What "shocking fact" would that be? The illusion that slaves actually lived in neat little two family shacks in the back of the plantation?
I'll concede that it wasn't the best analogy. But black families were much more intact during Jim Crow. You know, real racism.

Quote:
Since when have presidential candidates become "random" persons?
She's a person just like any other person. You should be pissed off at the destruction of black communities more than her. She doesn't control those communities.

But of course rather than address the actual issues you point the finger at someone who may not use the best choice of words when actually addressing the issues.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
This is also a religious thing. She seems to be saying either you have your nucleus family or society is doomed...
Being white she should be particularly careful what she says. Take out the white trash before you patronize minorities...

Old 07-09-2011, 04:37 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
This is also a religious thing. She seems to be saying either you have your nucleus family or society is doomed...
Being white she should be particularly careful what she says. Take out the white trash before you patronize minorities...
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
Using liberals as an insult really undermines your credibility as a poster.

Why can't the OP just be reflecting on the politician's poor choice of words, irregardless of affiliation.
What part was insulting/ I think you're the only one in this entire forum that thinks THAT post was even remotely insulting.

Quote:
Obviously you don't understand the meaning of plagiarism and I could care less who here calls me a liar.

But you wanted a quote so here ya go.

Bachmann Stands By Marriage Pledge That Links Slavery to Black Family Values - FoxNews.com
Actually, ovcatto, anything you summarize, paraphrase, or quote that is NOT your work, and you don't cite it, is plagiarism. Not to mention, it is also a violation of the TOS

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-09-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies