Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I recall learning somewhere that lawn care accounts for an absurd 60% of household water usage. A resource that billions in the world would kill to have, and we pour it outside.

If you have a lawn, it is because your local ecosystem supports it. If you don't, it's because your local ecosystem does not support it. Using up large amounts of freshwater in an area that does not receive a lot of rainfall purely for aesthetic purposes, to green a lawn that either shouldn't be green or shouldn't even exist, is hubris.

But hey, First World Problems: Button, button, who has the button?
I agree. That water should be used for agriculture in my opinion. Not to make your lawn green with useless grass. This is the problem with Northerners. They move to the desert southwest because they want sunshine and warm weather, but want to bring their Northern water usage with them. Just like they throw money away on air conditioning most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:28 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,440,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
One paragraph in this article about the water-starved town of Llano, Texas, got me thinking:

"We're just trying to get ahead of the curve, and ask people, 'Let's slow down on your water use,'" said John Kight, the vice-president of the groundwater district, adding: "You'd be surprised at the number of people who call in and say so and so is watering."

Would you do this? And, conversely, would you risk violating water restrictions yourself if you thought your neighbor might see and report you?

The reason I ask is because a friend in an HOA community (in a drought-stricken area) actually overheard one of the board members complaining about the possibility of losing his beautiful green grass and shrubs if water restrictions were imposed.

Kinda mind-boggling when the bigger issues are more important than your freaking LAWN.

Water-Starved Town May Face Draconian Restrictions — Water Supply | The Texas Tribune
Unless my water bill was tied to theirs, no. (unless maybe there was a discount for my bill if I called and ratted them out)

They're paying for their bills and as long as my bill doesn't rise because of their behavior let them do as they want.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 PM

45,310 posts, read 60,463,888 times
HOA CCR's do not trump local ordinances. Any HOA that hands out fines/assessments for not watering you lawn during a water restriction order needs to be reported to whatever is the local government.

The fines/assessments will end.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,341,892 times
Default Would You Turn Your Neighbor in for Violating Water Restrictions?

The only violation I could think of would most likely be over watering of their lawn. if the water situation is that bad I would have to consider the mentality and attitude of the neighbor before deciding to speak to them or just turn them in.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,237,393 times
Apparently the Hitler Youth Movement is alive and well in America today.

As long as we have overpopulation and continuing exponential population growth, quality of life will continue to decline for ALL of us. By encouraging and financially rewarding continued breeding no matter how scarce resources get, we condemn ourselves to being micro-managed by a power-mad government. This same government that fines you if you water your lawn anytime other the specified hour every week, will still allow some Big Business to massively deplete the aquifer to support some environmentally-disastrous profit-making operation.

Considering that more Americans will make every problem we face MUCH, MUCH worse (the bloated labor market, competition for resources, pollution, waste disposal, etc.), it's about time we stopped subsiding those who produce more children. Its also about time that we stopped looking for population growth to pay for insane government overspending, since it's now obvious that that DOESN'T WORK.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Apparently the Hitler Youth Movement is alive and well in America today.

As long as we have overpopulation and continuing exponential population growth, quality of life will continue to decline for ALL of us. By encouraging and financially rewarding continued breeding no matter how scarce resources get, we condemn ourselves to being micro-managed by a power-mad government. This same government that fines you if you water your lawn anytime other the specified hour every week, will still allow some Big Business to massively deplete the aquifer to support some environmentally-disastrous profit-making operation.

Considering that more Americans will make every problem we face MUCH, MUCH worse (the bloated labor market, competition for resources, pollution, waste disposal, etc.), it's about time we stopped subsiding those who produce more children. Its also about time that we stopped looking for population growth to pay for insane government overspending, since it's now obvious that that DOESN'T WORK.
Our population is fine. It's the illegal Mexicans that are increasing our population as well as our insane legal immigration policies. There is absolutely no reason why we have to admit ~1 million immigrants, permanent and temporary, here on a yearly basis. The illegal Mexican population is bumping up our birth rate above 2.0 and without them, it would be under. Plus like I said, the insane immigration policies of admitting everyone's uncle and cousin to come live with them. The reason why we keep increasing our population to no end is, like you said, to support bloated government programs (how with most immigrants, legal and illegal, living in poverty I don't know how) and to bring down working class wages via excess supply of poor immigrants.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,022,796 times
10 years ago we were not permited to water our lawns do to fires and drought and mine died completly. Havent had one since and the weeds look ok after a good weed wacking twice a year.sold my mower for 100$ and never looked back. my neighbor has a beautiful lawn and her water bill is 300$ per month in summer

Old 07-09-2011, 08:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,242,625 times
Twenty years ago, when the drought in socal was so bad the city told people not to water lawns in Riverside, someone in my neighborhood called code enforcement on every brown lawn. The code enforcement guy said leave a slight drip on the hose so there is a tiny patch of grass and he didn't even have to stop and look. Nobody had to ask who was calling as we had one beautiful green lawn which was always manicured. Personally I think the code guy should have been shutting him down as we were so short of water it was at emergency level you should NOT be watering grass.

One of the cities in the area had a report line as they had imposed a rule of no watering after 7am or 7pm. They had to put in a second line since it was so busy. I think people resented following what was a needed request themselves, but seeing neighbors sluffing it off. I'm sure if there had been one in Riverside the line would also have been quite busy.

The guy with his code violation reporting habit (he picked on anything else he could find too) was harrassment. When there is a REAL reason to not water the lawn and let it die then, yes, people will feeling themselves responsible. Of course it doesn't hurt if its a snot of a neighbor who deserves a little bother. Human nature is to be ignored at one's peril.

Here the 'lawn' is ever growing and the lawn police are vigilent. I'm planning a nice sized container garden with lots of covered walkways and NO GRASS. not to mention only a few blades of the amalgum of what is called grass here is grass.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:38 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,522,030 times
I wouldn't turn any one in as most people follow it but a few don't. Sometimes when the lights go out they don't fix the timer on their sprinkler system. I have went by City Hall and they have had their sprinklers on in the middle of the afternoon. Apparently they like to give fines but not follow the rules.

I have basically given up on planting many things and only really do annuals in the summer when we get most of the rain.

I don't have a sprinkler system and don't want to get up at 3am to play with the hoses. I am on a well (house not just lawn) and we have restrictions also because a few years ago many of the wells went dry.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,178,043 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies