Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,545,266 times

Advertisements

He's got pldenty of company, starting with the Democrats who've systematically made California unaffordable for middle-class residents of all ethnicities for at least three decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 AM

45,318 posts, read 26,884,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
This really has gotten old and has been addressed many times over. Part of the problem with the GOP is that they constantly insult the intelligence of minorities, especially blacks by making statements which imply that the average black voter is too stupid to make an informed decision. It is true that the majority of blacks vote democrat, it is not just about the president's race.
Farrakhan said this in 1997 on Meet the Press.

I feel that our people, who were once Republicans, were very loyal to the Republican Party because of what Abraham Lincoln did. When Franklin Delano Roosevelt came up with the New Deal during the Depression and Black folk found in him a person who was sensitive to the needs of the poor, they left the Republican Party and became Democrats. Now, Black people are taken for granted in the Democratic Party and not even sought after in the Republican Party.

I am far from a Farrakhan supporter, but there is something there.

I don't think that the GOP is generally racist.

I think the goal should be to appeal to people as Americans and policies should benefit America instead of groups. The GOP does this more often than Democrats.

So blacks get very little special treatment from the GOP. Both sides need to give a little. The GOP needs to give blacks some love, but black people should understand the importance that the country must do well for them to improve their lot in life (instead of wanting a portion of America to fail for them to be happy).

Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,941,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Farrakhan said this in 1997 on Meet the Press.

I feel that our people, who were once Republicans, were very loyal to the Republican Party because of what Abraham Lincoln did. When Franklin Delano Roosevelt came up with the New Deal during the Depression and Black folk found in him a person who was sensitive to the needs of the poor, they left the Republican Party and became Democrats. Now, Black people are taken for granted in the Democratic Party and not even sought after in the Republican Party.

I am far from a Farrakhan supporter, but there is something there.

I don't think that the GOP is generally racist.

I think the goal should be to appeal to people as Americans and policies should benefit America instead of groups. The GOP does this more often than Democrats.

So blacks get very little special treatment from the GOP. Both sides need to give a little. The GOP needs to give blacks some love, but black people should understand the importance that the country must do well for them to improve their lot in life (instead of wanting a portion of America to fail for them to be happy).
I agree with the bolded statement, however the GOP still does quite a bit of alienating. Both parties' policies are made to benefit a group. Unfortunately the group is corporate America, what they tell us is a different story. The GOP has used racism and fear to gain votes for quite a while, of course this going to alienate minority groups.

Neither party really cares about the people at this point, but alienating groups by insulting their intelligence won't gain their votes. I don't think all Conservatives are racist but this who turn a blind eye or remain silent about the ones who are, are just as bad. It is insulting to AAs when people constantly tell them that they only voted for a candidate because he was black, when in fact the majority of America (which is not black) voted for him.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I agree with the bolded statement, however the GOP still does quite a bit of alienating. Both parties' policies are made to benefit a group. Unfortunately the group is corporate America, what they tell us is a different story. The GOP has used racism and fear to gain votes for quite a while, of course this going to alienate minority groups.

Neither party really cares about the people at this point, but alienating groups by insulting their intelligence won't gain their votes. I don't think all Conservatives are racist but this who turn a blind eye or remain silent about the ones who are, are just as bad. It is insulting to AAs when people constantly tell them that they only voted for a candidate because he was black, when in fact the majority of America (which is not black) voted for him.
Clue me in to the bold above. When has the GOP used fear with regards to racism? If anything, they will paralyze themselves to avoid the racism tag.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,529,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I dont like obama either, and I dont think he has done a good job digging us out of this recession. But Im not naive enough to think he's the one who led us into this debacle either.
I think Bush and Obama are both global government promoters. Obama, being black, could push the agenda further down the road, before taking criticism. McCain is of he same mind, but he wouldn't have accomplished what Obama has been able to - we wouldn't have put up with it.
Now they are picking our next elitist to close the deal, if Obama gets defeated.
Unless it's Ron Paul, I think we'll get more of the same.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,941,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Clue me in to the bold above. When has the GOP used fear with regards to racism? If anything, they will paralyze themselves to avoid the racism tag.

Quote:
''You start out in 1954 by saying, '******, ******, ******.' By 1968 you can't say '******' -- that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

''And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me -- because obviously sitting around saying, 'We want to cut this,' is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than '******, ******.'''
-Lee Atwater

Quote:
A Republican who served in the Reagan cabinet, Mr. Bennett told his listeners: ''I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down.''
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04E6DF1E30F935A35753C1A9639C8B 63[/SIZE]

Quote:
In 1968, Richard Nixon used what became known as his "Southern Strategy"-- a plan to draw support from the traditionally Democratic South by promising not to promote sweeping social changes in race relations. Republicans have carried white voters in every Presidential election since 1968.

The success of that strategy not only brought Nixon into the White House twice, but also placed Ronald Reagan there for two terms in the 1980s. Reagan's 1980 campaign speech in Philadelphia, Mississippi, stirred controversy when he told the crowd of his support for "states' rights." The phrase was long used as code for resistance to black advances, sure to be well-received by Southern voters
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/race_relations/july-dec02/race_12-24.html

Quote:
It's Obama's America, is it not? Obama's America, white kids getting beat up on school buses now. You put your kids on a school bus, you expect safety but in Obama's America the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering, "Yay, right on, right on, right on, right on," and, of course, everybody says the white kid deserved it, he was born a racist, he's white.

From Kids on Bus to Kanye West: Race Rules All in Obama's America

I could go on but it would probably be a waste of my time.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
-Lee Atwater

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04E6DF1E30F935A35753C1A9639C8B 63[/SIZE]

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/race_relations/july-dec02/race_12-24.html

From Kids on Bus to Kanye West: Race Rules All in Obama's America

I could go on but it would probably be a waste of my time.

Pretty much nothing for the last 30 years except for a Limbaugh quote with an incorrect interpretation?

There is no mainline GOP platform that is racist. If so, prove it & post it.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM

316 posts, read 557,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
So it's obamas fault blacks get the boot first usually in jobs?

Really

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Well, it's not always Obamas fault. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM

2,400 posts, read 3,630,955 times
I wrote-in a vote for Ron Paul in 2008; will vote for him again in 2012 is all I have to say, and I'm Black. *shrug

Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,224,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
The recession was Bush's making. Black people know who took a dump on us.
Yes, Bush certainly did, and never claimed he wouldn't. However, Bush didn't create the Recession that will eventually culminate in total collapse of our economy; it was the inevitable result "Fair" Trade, globalization, consolidation of all wealth through Big Business, nationwide speculation and "bubble making" by the corporate ultra-rich, and the resulting destruction of the American Middle Class (whose spending constituted 70% of the World economy).

Obama rode to the highest office in the nation on the votes of minorities (and others who didn't know you can't trust a politician's promises), and then returned the favor by throwing them all into a cooking pot and serving their flesh to the corporate power-brokers who have worked tirelessly since the 1970s to destroy America. I find his hypocrisy and lack of honesty particularly galling, when he presents himself as the "Savior of the Downtrodden" and then stops on the little people worse than their traditional oppressors.

Our government, headed by the President, is nothing more than the enforcement arm of Big Business today. For some reason, Big Business greed reached historic proportions after the Middle Class rose to prosperity prior to the 1970s. Instead of letting this "Golden Goose" continue to lay the golden eggs that gave prosperity to most of America, and having incredible wealth parasitizing off of that, the ultra-rich suddenly developed the mind-set that incredible wealth wasn't enough.

They had to have ALL the wealth. There could be no Middle Class, because the world must be divided into a tiny number with infinite money, and everyone else having barely enough to survive. I'd love to see psychologists and sociologists analyze how this group suddenly developed infinite greed, coupled with the lack of intellect not to realize the inevitable results of acting on that greed.

Whatever the reason, all the people in power started acting to dismantle the Middle Class after the 1970's peak. CEOs started to be paid as emperors, while the employees of the company worked harder and more hours, with all the gains going to a CEO who had no skills other than complete Narcissism, total arrogance, and hate/resentment of the workers who gave them wealth.

As a nation, Big Business decided that Globalization and Free Trade was the quickest way to dismantle both the working class and the small and -mid-sized businesses, and both Democrats and Republicans obeyed and created totally UN-Free Trade that wiped out our manufacturing base. Big Business also knew flooding the workforce with people was hugely effective in making the working class powerless, and the government obediently refused to take any steps to limit immigration. It also hugely subsidized having children, further flooding the future workforce. Technology was also used to minimize the number of workers needed, and making each worker work many more hours helped even more (with the number of part-time workers getting no benefits hiding the massive increase in work-hours for salaried slaves).

Of course, the inevitable result was the dismantling of the Middle Class, which culminated with wiping out their housing assets and retirement investments. Massive oversized government served to both continue taxing the working classes so they could never rise from slavery, and over-regulating small businesses so no worker could escape using that route. It was probably the most successful campaign to totally destroy a group of people in the history of mankind, without actually killing them all.

What the ultra-rich didn't consider--or didn't care about--was that by destroying the working and Middle Class that was the backbone of America, they also killed the Goose that laid the Golden Eggs that made them ultra-rich. While they have plenty of money and gold and assets that they will thrive no matter what, have they really considered what the future will look like? I don't think many of us have taken this intellectual exercise to it's inevitable conclusion:

No jobs for the majority of Americans, no matter how educated. Every large system must fail when the majority of the population loses everything: food supply, water purification, power generation, trash collection, health care. We'll also see collapse of all the Big Business giants: The Media, cable providers, anyone relying on the internet, electric companies, Insurance, Big Banking, Big Health, Big Pharma, etc. All those employees, also laid off and penniless after using up what liquid assets they have just to eat.

Even Big Government must fall when printing worthless dollars no longer means anything, because the dollar is worthless. This, I think, is the only bright spot of the coming collapse (since I'm one of those born after 1960, who has lost a fortune to government but will never get a penny back). However, this monster will not die easily, and I guarantee there will be tax collectors trying to confiscate your assets if you have ANYTHING left (learned this from military service; government has a plan to keep itself in power via taxation/confiscation EVEN in the event of total apocalypse).

In 10 years, we won't recognize America. It may look like the world of Mad Max. It may just look like the poorest areas of India. It may look like the worst battles of the two World Wars. There will be massive depopulation due to untreated sickness and disease. The only think we can be sure it won't be, is safe and prosperous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies