Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

It's quite obvious what needs to be revamped in order for the country to survive. Tax cuts aint gonna do it. Cutting a hundred billion from defense will help but get us nowhere near where we need to be. Raising taxes will make a dent but barely and raising taxes on business will cause more unemployment and thus counter the tax imposed on said business. We have to redo entitlements or all else is basically moot at this point.

Taking apart the federal budget (washingtonpost.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Yep, the elephant in the room is our social entitlements. Democrats and Liberals had better come to their senses.....your political ancestors screwed you....now its time to step up to the plate and show them that you have what it takes to fix their mistakes. Will you do it?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 PM

It is amazing nothing has been done about it before. When social security was enacted the average life span was I believe 60. I may be off a year or two. You made it to social security you were lucky. Now if you don't your considered to have died young. Baby boomers are hitting the rolls at 10K a day so its only gonna get worse.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yep, the elephant in the room is our social entitlements. Democrats and Liberals had better come to their senses.....your political ancestors screwed you....now its time to step up to the plate and show them that you have what it takes to fix their mistakes. Will you do it?
You don't know what you are talking about.

The budget could be balanced, and you would never need to touch entitlements.

Primarily by moderate cuts to defense, and minor increases in taxes on the rich.

Anybody can balance the budget for themselves here.

Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It is amazing nothing has been done about it before. When social security was enacted the average life span was I believe 60. I may be off a year or two. You made it to social security you were lucky. Now if you don't your considered to have died young. Baby boomers are hitting the rolls at 10K a day so its only gonna get worse.
Gee golly gee whiz

Please cut my kid's and grandkid's safety net when they are 69 years old.

Please?

Please do it for the rich I worship, and our brave defense contractors who are blessed with a military budget as big as the rest of the World combined?

I'll gladly cut my family's means of support so that Brittney Spears can pay 2 basis points less in taxes....lol

Please Jesus?......Thank you GOP...God bless......lol

Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Your not paying attention. We need to make up 1.3 trillion and thats just for this year? So what do you consider moderate cut in military? 200 billion? Lets use that. Now we're down to 1.1 trillion. Your going to tax the evil rich an extra 1.1 trillion to get balanced? I'd really like to see that. I've got news for you the net worth of all the billionaires in the US is 1.3 trillion. I guess you'll just have to steal it all eh? Maybe you need to think before you post.

Now what do we do next year when baby boomers hit the social security and medicare rolls at 10K a day? Tax the rich more? There aint none left after you took all their money last year. All the folks under a billion who saw what you just did set sail for safer shores. So what do you do now??

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Gee golly gee whiz

Please cut my kid's and grandkid's safety net when they are 69 years old.

Please?

Please do it for the rich I worship, and our brave defense contractors who are blessed with a military budget as big as the rest of the World combined?

I'll gladly cut my family's means of support so that Brittney Spears can pay 2 basis points less in taxes....lol

Please Jesus?......Thank you GOP...God bless......lol
If you think your grandkids, let alone kids, are gonna see a penny of social security your lost.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You don't know what you are talking about.

The budget could be balanced, and you would never need to touch entitlements.

Primarily by moderate cuts to defense, and minor increases in taxes on the rich.

Anybody can balance the budget for themselves here.

Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
This is actually kinda fun.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
I agree, folks cannot conceive the notion that the shortfalls could be linked to bloated military spending, and the relentless series of tax cuts.

That said, and in fairness to those of the previous generation who enacted social security, they probably did not foresee the demographic overhang caused by a huge number of boomers and relatively fewer children and grandchildren. It is a huge shift from the family status quo of 50 years ago.

The question is what we will do about it. I good proportion of the boomers have turned into anti-tax crazies, just in time to make sure their kids will be eating Alpo in old age. This generation won't. they will every drop of their benefits,even as they undermine their children. I am amazed by the generosity of the previous generations and the selfishness of this one.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Your not paying attention. We need to make up 1.3 trillion and thats just for this year? So what do you consider moderate cut in military? 200 billion? Lets use that. Now we're down to 1.1 trillion. Your going to tax the evil rich an extra 1.1 trillion to get balanced? I'd really like to see that. I've got news for you the net worth of all the billionaires in the US is 1.3 trillion. I guess you'll just have to steal it all eh? Maybe you need to think before you post.

Now what do we do next year when baby boomers hit the social security and medicare rolls at 10K a day? Tax the rich more? There aint none left after you took all their money last year. All the folks under a billion who saw what you just did set sail for safer shores. So what do you do now??
The budget can be balanced over time. Not just one year. And even if we do NOTHING those budget deficits are going down not up.

You of course only want to discuss one year when the deficit is the highest to distort AGAIN.

Grow up and learn that the budget balancing process will take about a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies