Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times

Advertisements

H.R. 822.

Essentially allows those with concealed carry permits from one state to carry them in any state that also issues CPLs, or does not have specific laws against the carry of concealed weapons.

It didn't pass in 2009, so I don't know why, but the Brady Campaign has their panties in a twist about this one.

The bill specifically states that anyone carrying concealed from a different state must abide by the laws of the state they are in.

So, what is Brady's complaint?
Emphasis mine.
Quote:
The so-called "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011" would override state laws that limit who may carry loaded hidden handguns within state borders. If passed, the bill would allow people from states with extremely permissive concealed carry laws to bring their guns into states that have justifiably passed more restrictive laws.
This outrageous piece of legislation will put police officers in severe danger. In fact, if passed, this law will put all of us in danger. We must stop it.

It appears the Brady Campaign believes that people in a "lenient" state become murderous psychopaths when they cross state lines to a "strict" state.

From earlier in the email, this gem.
Emphasis mine.

Quote:

We believe the gun lobby is ready to quickly and quietly push an amendment through the Senate that would force states, like your state, to allow dangerous people to carry hidden guns in public.

Again. Ignore the vast majority of licensed people who carry peacefully. No, if they have a CPL, obviously they are murderous psychopaths, despite the evidence actually suggesting they are more law abiding than those who don't have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:31 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Now that's a common sense gun control law!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Frankly I don't support it. The states have this already pretty much worked out between themselves:

U.S. CCW Reciprocity Map from CarryConcealed.net (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php - broken link)

There is no need for the federal government to get involved. What the government giveth the government also taketh away.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I disagree, I believe in states rights. Every step against giving states more choices is a step that will lead to further federal control.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
H.R. 822.

Essentially allows those with concealed carry permits from one state to carry them in any state that also issues CPLs, or does not have specific laws against the carry of concealed weapons.

It didn't pass in 2009, so I don't know why, but the Brady Campaign has their panties in a twist about this one.

The bill specifically states that anyone carrying concealed from a different state must abide by the laws of the state they are in.

So, what is Brady's complaint?
Emphasis mine.

It appears the Brady Campaign believes that people in a "lenient" state become murderous psychopaths when they cross state lines to a "strict" state.

From earlier in the email, this gem.
Emphasis mine.

Again. Ignore the vast majority of licensed people who carry peacefully. No, if they have a CPL, obviously they are murderous psychopaths, despite the evidence actually suggesting they are more law abiding than those who don't have them.
Bring IT on brotha!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Frankly I don't support it. The states have this already pretty much worked out between themselves:

U.S. CCW Reciprocity Map from CarryConcealed.net (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php - broken link)

There is no need for the federal government to get involved. What the government giveth the government also taketh away.
The states really don't have it worked out. Many states don't have any formal laws detailing which states they do and do not accept. Some of the conditions are done on street precedent.

The law would allow all states to reciprocate--something we already do for other licenses--and doesn't actually change the laws in any way. Brady's fallacious argument could be as much made for Driver IDs as it does for CCWs. Some states have lenient driving licensing laws, some are much more strict.

Look at the map for yourself. Large swathes of land go barren if reside in one state but not another. You'd still have to follow the rules and regs of that state--just like your drivers license--but the difference is that you can't be arrested for illegal possession of a weapon if you have a valid permit. Imagine driving through Ohio one day and being arrested and your car impounded because they didn't reciprocate your drivers license.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Don't even need a CCW here in AZ to carry concealed.

That should be everywhere.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I welcome this if I can get a CCW in another State and use it here. Only LE or their family/friends stand a chance in hades of getting CCW here. I worked for a bank doing large drops after dark in a dung heap hood and couldn't get one. Reason? Not enough reason.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I welcome this if I can get a CCW in another State and use it here. Only LE or their family/friends stand a chance in hades of getting CCW here. I worked for a bank doing large drops after dark in a dung heap hood and couldn't get one. Reason? Not enough reason.
No, this would do nothing to help Californians under their current may issue system. Y'all need to get your act together and your elected representative on board with your 2nd Amendment rights. Otherwise, sue your state and take it all the way up to the Supreme Court when you are denied a license the way Heller was handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies